Pacific Northwest Discussion

Portland race gas notes and video clip from the GPI event

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wow! Your car looks and sounds like it's a little bit more fun now :)

Nice choice on that whiny thingy!
Old 08-05-2007, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's why I have to get the race gas: Detonation prevention.

It is charge-air cooled, but still, the engine internals get pretty warm. SC is putting out only about 11.9 psi peak observed, but with the stock 10:1 compression, well, I have not experienced detonation yet, so, I'll keep mixing in some high octane stuff.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:55 PM

Sorry I'm so slow
Old 08-05-2007, 04:01 PM

Default Nah - the only thing that counts at the end of the day is "Were you having fun"?

It's hard to care at the end of the day who passed whom if you drove home with a grin on your face
Old 08-05-2007, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Totally agree.

That was not why I mentioned this situation. My only point was that (in my opinion) it was not good judgement for the track control to put a car out as I was rounding T12. In general, you do not want to lift at the exit or be WOT and pinching the turn off. Bad things can happen.

Jdog35: As for how fast you were going, it was definitely better that you did not try to drag race me out of there considering the timing of when you were put on the track.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:20 PM

Default Yup

Point allowing that car to go when you were just rounding turn 12 was not a good call at all. They usually do a better job than that.

Lifting coming out of turn 12 can have some very nasty consequences for some cars (like my old S2000). Can you say "snap oversteer"? I knew you could

Looking down the front straight through your passenger window as you pass point isn't a lot of fun and neither is trying to regain control with a side to side "tank slapper" rear end pendulum in effect while your momentum is carrying you towards the tire wall in front of the stands.

I'll bet you can guess how it is that I can describe this sensation in detail too.....
Old 08-05-2007, 09:26 PM

Default I know you were joking. I would have been more aware of you coming around 12 and adjusted if I could

have seen you once he sent me. I always try and tuck over to the wall as best as possible on launch when someone else may be coming off T-12. I know my car isn't fast down the straights (I'm lucky to touch 125 on a perfect section), but it's what I can expect and then some from a stock turbo and no chip. I'll take care of those "go-fast" mods by next season though. Ran out of time (and money) for this year with all the routine upkeep and new tires/brake-pads for the track.

By the way, do you run a lap timer out there? I'm curious what your lap times are if you do. No reason, just general curiousity.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:31 PM

Default By the way, as underpowered as I am comparatively, I seem to be holding well in against most guys in

the corners except for those damned Elises!!! I can simply not keep up with those suckers for long! How in the hell are you rolling with them so well from what it sounds/looks like? What exactly do you have under that hood of yours that lets you eat them up like that (other than the driver's skill obviously)?
Old 08-06-2007, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default NIce weather, nice laps and nice lines! great work kIm!

good stuff.

looks like a great day and well done on the lines around PIR

sigh... it's been 2 months since i've hit the track...
Old 08-06-2007, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It would have been tough for you to see me.

You can see by the video that I'm exiting the apex just as you enter from the access area, so my car is kind of coming at you from the side. That's one instance where I'm glad my car was FWD. A RWD would not have have liked the adjustments I made there. I didn't really lift, but I held throttle and steered a bit to the right, instead of letting it all the way out.

As for your track car, think about going the route that Alan is going --> toward a dedicated vehicle vs. modding out your TT. It'll save wear and tear on your daily driver and you can still have a ton of fun. The E30 racing and track community is big and friendly.

Having said that, I have what I have and it has transformed into a comparatively dedicated track car.

Timing? Well, I capture miniDV video to review what I'm doing and determine where I can improve. A side-effect is that I also can time from point to point. At PIR, I check the timing from the point I cross under the Bridgestone walking bridge (really when the edge just clears my windshield). My times have gradually dropped this year as I've become acquainted with the new engine setup. In the clear/chasing, I'm generally running 1:36 to 1:37 with the chicane in place. My best laps this event were a couple at 1:35.28, where the decimal appears to be in 30ths of a second (apparently indicating 30 fps). Not real fast, but considerably better than before the engine upgrade (~1:41).

I reckon there is probably another second or two that can be extracted with little effort if I do a better job of setting up next to the wall coming in to T10, scrubbing less speed, and sustaining some real speed into the braking zone at T12. I'm also leaving some on the table in T4 and T6. However, I'm not sure how that part of the track will be affected by the coming changes. And, truthfully, I'm not sure how far I want to reach for a few seconds -- the car is just not that fast.

Quick Reply: Portland race gas notes and video clip from the GPI event