Pacific Northwest Discussion

Portland race gas notes and video clip from the GPI event

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A well-driven Elise runs away from me: especially if it has any HP help.

An Exige S? Forget it. Those two S2000s in that group were also faster, although both are far from stock (having said that David and Alan in their S2000s were still faster, despite being stock). The STi also ran right around me. But that's as it should be and frankly the passes happened so effortlessly that they had *relatively* little effect on my laptimes (typically a couple of seconds). The main thing was: No trains, which can make these days tedious.

I caught the blue Elise in all three of the sessions run in the advanced group, although I could not get by in the second a.m. session due to letting faster traffic by while approaching him. No matter, it was great fun running in that group with all the clear laps (my main objective).

My car has a MAHLE-built, charge-air cooled supercharger (branded as a "Powerworks" product). It was designed by Cosworth Technologies before MAHLE bought CT in 2005. It was installed in Nov. 2006. I've spent this season getting used to it and am pleased with the results. It is consistent, with no power loss during sessions and holding up well to all day flogging at HPDEs. It has the "factory" Powerworks tune and so has some cushion to its top end. That's fine by me as my main thing is sustained high-output operation in preference to maximum HP/TQ. It's added about 46 percent to the HP/TQ numbers, having dyno'd at 223 HP/182 TQ to the wheels on a Mustang dyno. Those are certainly not big numbers, but definitely an improvement that I am happy to have made.

I also have a KW V3 suspension, stiffer rear antisway bar, camber plates, adjustable rear LCA, "solid" (poly) motor mounts, and many other adjustments to this car. It's explained at my car's <a href="http://home.comcast.net/~mysvtftoy/">blog</a>.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You're always welcome out here to share a ride.

I have an aversion to the wall on the back straight which is limiting my speed entering T10.

You'll have to come out here when the new PIR configuration is in place.

TTYL.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default new config? ohh we must talk ..

interesting and I love the invite, thank you !

I've got one for you on this coast as well
Old 08-06-2007, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Mark Wigginton posted info about this in the spring 2007...

And someone reposted it to one of the forums or to the FOPIR mailing list. I cannot find it. The PIR site does not have the specifics, but apparently one of the projects for this winter involves adding a sequence of turns from T4 through T6ish. That's all that I can remember. There's a new pedestrian bridge, and other features planned, but maybe it'll just be repaving. Who knows? I can't seem to find the thing that was posted before.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:06 AM

Default I hear you on not reaching for that time. I really want to take my car home every day:) I am staying

away from buying a dedicated track car (for now) because I enjoy having my car capable of a track day with two hours notice (swap pads, wheels, etc.). I don't drive but maybe 3 miles to work every day, so I really don't put the mileage on. Honestly, most of my mileage in the car from March-August is at the track. I just don't drive a ton in the summer because if it's sunny, I'm on the Harley.

Maybe some day though I'll build a dedicated car, but it'd probably be a tear-down on a totalled TT that I'll rebuild from the bottom up. I love my car and the looks (I know I'll get flamed for it but whatever), and think it'd be cool to have a dedicated TT for the track. Nobody else around here does. I love having things 100% unique (much like the Carrera GT out there yesterday...OMG!!!.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What about a stripped down 350Z?

When gutted, with a cage and a single seat, the weight is not *too* bad. RWD and a <b>ton</b> of aftermarket. If I had some $$$ to continue on beyond the Focus, I think I'd head that way. However, I when the Focus is done, I believe I will return to my gardening. Probably at a relocated and smaller homestead. Maybe a little more pitch-n-putt golf. Hiking. Digital photography.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Wow, that stuff is expensive! Who makes the unleaded 111oct?
Old 08-06-2007, 12:06 PM

Default Hard to say how much of what Mark wanted will actually come to pass.

Someone mentioned on Friday that the actual repaving might not get started on time but we are the point where the rumor mill is rampant and honest facts are hard to come by....
Old 08-06-2007, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Shockingly expensive. Don't know the source. Try calling the Jantzen Beach 76.

I was stuck, so I got by with splitting 5 gallons over the day. Worked fine.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You can always leave a message at our shop as well. Justin was answering messages/emails.

Quick Reply: Portland race gas notes and video clip from the GPI event