Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Blue smoke on new 2.0 build question with some good twists

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blue smoke on new 2.0 build question with some good twists

Here's the deal, the new engine has approx 500 miles, and I just finished the swap between the "Break in" turbo and a new K26 version. The engine is described below. Previous to the swap I did not notice any blue smoke from the tail pipe, now I seem to not be able to get rid of it.
Upon startup there is no smoke for the first 3-4 seconds, then quite the cloud forms and shortly after calms down. The smoke is not very visible at idle unless you put a light beam acrost the exhaust tips.

According to my roomate who stood by the side of the road as I drove by there was little to no visible smoke at 1-3500 RPM and noticible amounts at 4000+

At the turbo swap I changed the oil from a conventional 5W30 to mobil 5W30. it is overfilled approx 3mm on the dip stick.

Compression and leakdown are next to perfect and have 3psi change across all 4 cyl.

During the first part of breakin the motor was almost continuously rich and so tops of pistons have some carbon build up.

Plugs show slightly rich condition but all in all pretty good AFR at 8psi which is my breakin pressure is 13.5:1 and idles at approx 15AFR and 35deg timing

No nock EGT's look good, all in all the car's a champ but the cloud of smoke is concerning and not plesant, although the car is nice and i'm proud of the new engine i'm embarasses of the smoke

Oil consumption of the last 2-3 days is little to none or at least small enough that I don't notice.

What can I do to check if the cyl rings are okay or possibly valve guides, I'm running out of places to look without pulling head/engine.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:10 PM

Default If it were a sealing issue, leak down and compression would show a prob .. .why not reduce the oil

to the proper fill level and see if it doesn't resolve the issue. You are likely hitting full boost around the point that the smoke shows (oil burn) ... blowing excess oil into the intake tract from the level being to high. The 1.8t is very sensitive to over filling and, even at OE boost levels pushes a fair amount of oil thru the PCV system. Over filling will not only aggrevate that tendency but can ruin the cat in fairly short order.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default could be the turbo, could be too early for synthetic on a new motor

since that's really the main thing that changed, I'd start there first.

Unfortunately, not very easy to troubleshoot, short of putting the old turbo back on.

Also, I'd run conventional non-synthetic oil for the first 2-3k miles, maybe change at 2k, and then run for another 2-3k before switching to synthetic. Synthetic isn't good for break-in on a motor.