Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Electronics experts - fuel injector duty cycle meter...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2001, 08:40 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default learn microcontrollers

You won't regret it. You'll wonder how you ever got by before you did.
Old 10-22-2001, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here are a few links for you to explore...

I've been wanting to learn these too but haven't found the time for it yet. I'll have to start after I get done with my current project.

http://www.parallaxinc.com/

and see link for the other one.<ul><li><a href="http://www.microchip.com/11110/helper.htm">www.microchip.com</a></li></ul>
Old 10-22-2001, 12:52 PM

Default Noooo... fight the trend! Software-mentality is the reason...

Why now when I interview kids they can't answer the following question:

"Using and combination of SPST, DPDT or other switches, draw me the wiring diragram for a three switch hallway light arrangement (where a change of state in any of the three switches will always toggle the light on or off)."

without telling me they need a microprocessor or PLD to do it. Pathetic.

It's like everybody doesn't know how to do simple things, but figures they can design a machine that can be *coded* to do it - and we'll figure out *how* to do at after the project is done. Pretty soon 20 million transistors are needed to turn on lights.

Still. This application does call out for a simple microcontroller, or even a basic STAMP. Just ranting... :0

-Z
Old 10-22-2001, 07:21 PM

Default Thanks everyone...

for all your suggestions and advice. I'll likely have to go to a microcontroller for my nos control box, but didn't want to have to go through all the trouble with using one in my initial testing. It only took me a couple hours to breadboard up a fully functional injector on-time meter (digital, and very accurate), so I guess I was hoping the duty cycle one would also be easy. Wrong.

Mike O.: Thought about the extra injectors, but there's no room to mount them in the manifold. I will barely have enough room for nos nozzles, and even then I have to do some welding to get them to fit.

I don't want to use nos at full boost, just at lower boost to bring the turbos up quicker. If I use a 75 HP shot when the boost is less than say 3-5 PSI and progressively decrease the nos to 0 when at full boost, then the injectors should never go beyond "max". I mean, if my engine makes 320 HP, does it matter how much of that 320 HP is from the nos and how much is from boost?

To Venom: Hurry up and make a kit for Audi and save me from all this work!!!<ul><li><a href="http://www.venomperformance.com/">http://www.venomperformance.com/</a</li></ul>
Old 10-23-2001, 09:19 PM
Elder Member

Default basic STAMP?

Now who is the wuss?

Here's your circuit, with totally incorrect symbols:

....|
....| A
.../ \
../...\
.|.....|
.|\.../|
.|..\/.| B
.|../\.|
.|/...\|
..\ .../
...\ /
....| C
....|

(Audiworld compresses multiple spaces into one, so I used dots.)

A and C are DPSTs, B is a DPDT, rigged such that it either runs the tires straight through or crosses them over. You can insert as many B's as you want and it'll still work.

Of course, you don't have to hire these bozos who can't do that. But don't deny yourself powerful tools.

The ROM design mentioned above is the best one in this case, by the way. Mircocontrollers be damned. You can even rig it to run a 7-segment LED directly by programming the correct contents. Multiple digits too with multiple ROMs or a 16-bit wide ROM.
Old 10-24-2001, 02:44 PM

Default Chucke chuckle...

Guess I can move on to the more interesting questions with you...

As for the stamp. Hey, if you're gonna wuss and go with a processor, might as well use the one they teach high-school kids with.. My battlebot uses a controller with one in it. Comes from the guys with do the Innovation First competion out East with the High-school kids.

Glad you approved of my PROM post/suggestion tho'