Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

GIAC==Gobs of Power. APR==Globs of Solder. (crosspost from A4 forum)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2001, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GIAC==Gobs of Power. APR==Globs of Solder. (crosspost from A4 forum)

My car finally works, thanks to GIAC and great service from Todd & Mike at AWE Tuning. For some interesting results, see:

https://www.audiworld.com/forum/m/a4/msgs/444840.phtml<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/forum/m/a4/msgs/444840.phtml">My post in the A4 forum</a></li></ul>
Old 02-15-2001, 01:19 PM

Default Response...

I apologize, Dan, if you feel that you did not receive the level of service that you expected. We do try hard to please all of our customers.

Sometimes I think people forget how difficult it sometimes is to satisfy everyone and diagnose problems when dealing mail-order products. While ECU installs are normally a plug-and-play deal there can be problems. Dan, there was obviously a problem with your setup and it was one that was difficult to diagnose over the phone. Given the amount of problems with diverter valves recently, we suggested this as a first solution. After this didn't solve the problem, we pointed you to a local distributor of ours who was ready to help diagnose the problem. We apologize that our distributor was not closer but it is difficult to have someone convenient to everyone- we are working on this. Since a competitor was located closer and given that you were experiencing a problem, we felt comfortable refunding you your money so that you could work directly with someone local.

Regarding the soldering, we do have a full-time solderer and top-notch equipment. I am sorry, Dan, if you felt your board could have been soldered more cleanly.

As for your other claims, I think several hundred people who read this board can verify that our chip is indeed faster than stock programming.

>Clearly, there was nothing wrong with the car; my guess, personally,
>is that there is something wrong with APR's programming for the new '01 motor.

We do not believe this to be the case. A regular performance chip is very rudimentary compared to the more complex products that we offer. We have two 2001 A4's in our permanent test fleet and we spent a lot of time on the programming for this vehicle. In addition to offering the standard chip upgrade, we offer advanced EMCS programming options and complete high-horsepower kits. Generally, we have been able to keep people happy.

You can't please everyone and you are going to get bad reviews and/or mess up sooner or later. Regardless, we will continue to focus on satisfying our customers, improving our products, and continuing to lead the market in innovation.

We apologize, Dan, that we did not handle your situation better. If we can ever be of service to you in the future, please let us know.

Thanks,

Brett
APR
Old 02-15-2001, 02:47 PM

Sounds like all the service anybody could ask for!
Old 02-16-2001, 02:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Didn't get enough of a turnout on the other forum?? Well, stir the pot a little more!
Old 02-16-2001, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Good response Brett

BTW, unA4dable...I don't even own an APR chip.
Old 02-16-2001, 06:08 AM

I posted to both forums at the same time, J.
Old 02-16-2001, 06:19 AM
Elder Member

Default I thought it was an informative post ......

....and APRs response was good and 2 late.
Old 02-16-2001, 07:51 AM

Default Well, since posts here stay visable longer than in A4...

Ranting/whining posts in the A4 forum tend to disappear from the "radar" screen pretty fast being replaced by other stuff. Here though, things arent so much like a chat room and posts remain visable for a while. Given that I thought I should put in a counter experience regarding the APR chip as my experience is completely different.

First of all I too am an electrical engineer with a varied background in analog and digital design, though today I am in the capacity of a program manager for a large computer company. Being that sort I popped thecover og my returned ECU from APR before poping it back in. Mine was probably among the first of the '01 ECU done commercially by APR. The workmanship was reasonable in my judgement and did not represent an obvious risk to the ECU's reliability.

My experience with the unit (I too have the stock/chip/TBC programs) in nearly 4 months, all weather and temps has been terriffic. It has never exhibited any odd symptoms and the chip program pulls very strong in any gear from something over 2000 RPM to over 6000 RPM. No rough spots, hesitation or surges (other than the extra pull of that huge torque curve that seems to peak a bit over 3500 RPM). No pinging or extreme charge air temps either (I have driven with my VAG-COM hooked up to monitor such things just to see if I am missing anything in the seat of my pants feel for the car). I would have to totally disagree with the original post when he suggested the APR program wasnt checked out or suited to the '01. It is very obvious to me that it was indeed carefully and completely developed, something must have gone wrong with his particular unit.

My customer experience with APR was also first rate. In the summer, e-mail was a bit slow at times but I think they were busy doing their engineering thing (this software plus the Stage 3 product set).

One more thing. I had previously swapped out my bypass valve with the one that is now the turbo5 product as the car, even new and still at at stock boost levels exhibited that annoying 2500 RPM fart.

So, I would give the APR EMCS and APR 10 of 10 for value and performance.