Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

I'm getting rims soon and i have a few questions regarding brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2001, 01:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm getting rims soon and i have a few questions regarding brakes

Hi,

I'm getting new rims (hopefully within the next 2 weeks) and I'm afraid of how the brake discs are going to look with the increased "openness" around. Will I be able to get some bigger aftermarket brake discs (either slotted or drilled) and use them with the stock calipers?

Also, I'm getting 18 inch rims and I'm wondering what offset would be best. Thanks for all of your help.
Old 04-13-2001, 04:10 AM

Default Some input

The stock A4 brakes do look small when you add 18" wheels. I went with bigger front rotors, not because of that but because the performance tires on those rims could not be broken loose in a dry straight line stop with the stock rotors, leaving me with some opportunity for improvement. Also, I have been using EBC Green pads since the car was new.

I went with the A8 rotor/TT caliper bracket upgrade. This is the most economical upgrade I know of. The added leverage afforded by the larger diameter (12.2" versus 11") brings a LOT more grip to the front brakes. Sometimes I startle myself when jumping onto the brake pedal in traffic with the suddeness of the deceleration.
I would say if you are not racing and dont really need the additional heat dissipation of crossdrilled, the added brake capacity (and additional heat dissipation) of these larger rotors for the front will do you nicely.

It seems totally unnecessary to do anything with the rear brakes.

Regarding wheel offsets... I have 18x8 wheels with a 35mm offset and am running 225/40 tires. This works very well.
Old 04-13-2001, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the rears look the worst though

with aftermarket rims, they look like quarters in there. even if there's no significant gain, can you throw some larger discs in there? thanks for the info!
Old 04-13-2001, 11:30 AM

Dont do it....read the Stoptech site info on big brakes as to why not
Old 04-17-2001, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default are you talking about the ABS thing? how about all those people who've done the mod?

i'm new to upgrading brakes (haven't read that much on it). what are my options w/o getting a completely new brake system? if it comes down to that, the Stoptechs are the only ones that'll fit in the stock 7 spoke sport rims, right? i'll have to use those for the winter still.

i hear APR is coming out with a new brake kit (if it's not already out). it's supposed to be something under $1000, but are the discs bigger than stock, or are they the same size?

sorry, just kinda talking out loud here...i appreciate your help.
Old 04-19-2001, 05:15 PM

Default Re: are you talking about the ABS thing? how about all those people who've done the mod?

The reason stoptech gives is that the braking rate (regardless of why, whether it be stronger calipers or bigger rotors) will potentially cause problems with the calibrations built into ABS, ESR, etc, if not tuned properly. However, better brake pads or different rotors of the same size will have this same effect!

So why doesn't every modification ruin our braking? It's because the systems have an operating range, and as long as that isn't exceeded, you're OK. Even the stock setup will have variations in braking force due to conditions (hot, cold, wet).

Now this is all hot air on my part, but I've somehow fooled myself into thinking I may be right. Anyone have any actual practical tests, or an idea on what the operating ranges for the braking systems are?