Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Issues with my car.. Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2002, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues with my car.. Any ideas?

Im having some serious problems with my car and the people I have talked to about this are left scratching their head.. Well, last night after some runs with an IS300 and having difficulty walking on him and having sudden bursts of power (randomly) which caused me to run on him (he wasn't letting off, me and my passenger both felt the sudden rush of power) I asked Waseem to drive my car.. Well, once he gets in I told him drive it like you were racing someone.. So he starts a run around 3k in 3rd gear guns it and shifts into 4th gear.. In 4th gear boost spikes at 19psi drops to 17psi then drops to 10psi (happened in a matter of 2 seconds).. Im like try it again, so he turns around.. starts in third and the same thing happens.. So then he tried different ratios of clutch release and throttle application but it was still doing it.. It took about 10-15 runs to finally get a ratio with which boost would not drop, but the shift was so damm slow (not exactly the way youd want to shift when your running someone).. So what gives has anyone ever heard or seen anything like this? Im going to reverse and service my DV today (its a forge) and then go for some runs (hopefully that will solve the power issue).. The power issue is this, some times 3,4,5,6 and sixth pull like a ****, and others it feels stock (its a huge difference).. When I was playing with that IS300 during one sprint power came on at 5k (big time) and my car just ran past his.. It wasn't a small amount of power, it was enough power that pushed me back into my seat and caused me and my passenger to look at each other and say What the F090 just happened? The TT is known to have a problem with some intake hoses collapsing so I think Im going to replace that, someone suggested I take the airbox off the car and do a few runs but im a little concerned about doing highway runs without an airbox.. Oh, no dtcs thrown... thanks..
Old 12-21-2002, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Vacuum leak between MAF and turbo inlet...

...might want to check for a break in that hose where the recirc line routes back into the intake tract right before the turbo.

You can verify it by using a VAG to look for a lean condition when you are experiencing that boost.

Do not run the car until you discover the culprit! Extra oxygen and aluminum are not friends in a combustion chamber.

Mike O.
Old 12-21-2002, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks.. Ive been checking the ECU for codes almost weekly now and have

never got any lean codes.. Last night I did some timing logs but I have no idea how to read them.. I did block 020 adn 003.. DO you know off hand which block I can test to see if I am running lean and what the logged data means?
Old 12-21-2002, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Oh, I also logged about 300miles on this chip...
Old 12-22-2002, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Restricted tube from N75 to wastegate? Or torn & leaking?

When boost spikes, pressure goes through that tube to open the wastegate, I've seen torn lines on TT's before & caused problems similar to what you're describing. Good luck!
Old 12-22-2002, 10:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I tried doing a pressure test before but the attachment I have on the portable

air container isn't right for the job.. After a few tries I was able to get maybe 8psi in the system and heard a little hissing noise coming from around the FPR.. Hopefully once I get the right hose and fitting I can put 15psi in there and find the leak..
Old 12-23-2002, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Codes don't mean anything....

...it's may not throw a DTC for a run lean condition. You need to monitor Block 031 column 1 and 101 column 4. 031/1 will tell you if you have a lean condition if 101/4 stays steady or drops.

Let us know.
Mike O.