Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Pagid and Hawk brakes - squeel!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2001, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pagid and Hawk brakes - squeel!

I have Pagid R S4-2-1 fronts and Hawk F rear pads. Are these Pagids the orange or blue ones? Is there any way to stop these bad boys from squeeling? I have had them off twice for anti squeel compound with no success.
Would switching to EBC greens be an improvement?
I want to keep pads on that are good for track and ok for street.
Old 01-16-2001, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Pagid and Hawk brakes - squeel!

4-2-1 is, I think, the Pagid Black street compound. Doesn't squeal at all on my car. Not good for the track, though. Try Pagid Orange race pads all around for track events--why are you mixing pad compounds F and R?

Forget about a track pad for the street--they all are too noisy for most people. You have to change brake fluid for the track anyway, so why not switch to a track pad at the same time?

Lee in D.C.
Old 01-16-2001, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks, but here is the rest of the dope on Pagid compounds

I took a little more time to research this (mainly because I didn't want to believe that these pads were street pads. They were supposed to be track/street. Plus, if they are the street pads they shouldn't be so noisy!)

Here's what I found:

PAGID RACING
COMPOUND CHARACTERISTICS

RS 4-2-1 -BLACK

A high performance compound with good fading characteristics and high cold friction. The most comfortable medium friction sport compound. It is street legal, rotor friendly and OE on various Ferraris and Corvettes.

RS 4-2 -BLUE

A medium friction racing compound with good cold friction and fading resistance
up to 500 degrees Celsius, ( 932 degrees Fahrenheit). The 4-2 compound has a reasonable rotor wear rate. It has very good modulation (adjustment) and is a Classic Rallye compound and is used also for small open wheels, ( F3, F-Renault, Club Racing, and Showroom Stock).

RS 4-4 -ORANGE

This compound has a very good fade resistance and a higher average friction value than the RS 4-2. It is rotor friendly with a very foreseeable non-aggressive friction behavior (stable torque). It is a very good rear compound for Touring Car applications in combination with RS 14 front pads. It's main application is Porsche 911 racing. It is used on either Short Track or Long Distance; also for front and rear axles. It is also used on BMW Showroom Stock.

For more info see link!<ul><li><a href="http://www.pagidusa.com/characteri.html">http://www.pagidusa.com/characteri.html</a</li></ul>
Old 01-17-2001, 02:22 PM

Default My experience...

Squealing can be fixed by doing hard braking after they're warm. Soft braking causes the pads to "glaze" and that causes squeal. If you brake hard now and again it should help, but I haven't tried those compounds...

I changed from Ferodo pads to MetalMasters on my M Coupe and the braking performance is greatly increased. I'm going to put them on the A4 next, since the braking doesn't seem to be as good as my C4 Audi.