Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Question for guys who turn their own wrench...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for guys who turn their own wrench...

so i want to get more involved with my car, beyond ****-ant stuff like doing shift-kit or intake, but how to start?

I noticed that my local community college has auto classes, in particular this one caught my attention:

AUTOMOTIVE SERVICE TECHNOLOGY 110
Engine Design and Operation
4 credit hours
A lecture/lab course designed to provide understanding in the design, operation and troubleshooting procedures of the gasoline engine. Students participate in the disassembly, identification and inspection of parts, and use of service manuals. Safety and shop procedures are also covered. (3 lecture hours, 2 lab hours)

Is something like this a good place to start? Im thinking that my Miata can become my test bed to start learning to really dig into my car(s). For instance, i am due for a timing belt/water pump on the Miata (105k on her)...and doing it might be a good first step...im just worried about messing up the Audi :/

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 09-23-2003, 12:46 PM

Default buy a good tool set...then dive in with a buddies help....

its good to have somebody around that has done what you are trying to do.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default that course better be free, keep kids off drugs kinda thing

ID'ing car parts is a game we have our girlfriends compete in during college, no kidding

like strato said, just do it, start small
oil change, tuneups, tire swaps, brakes and work your way up. if you need familiarity of parts, get a manual specific for the car youre working on or grab a text book for a more general/broader point of view.
Old 09-23-2003, 03:54 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Free college course, BAH! LOL!! :-D

Before I got out of the military, I had a free semester of college to use, for my second re-enlistment bonus. I took a total of 4 automotive classes at NoVA. Got A's in everything except "shop safety, tools, & practices", which is the class that's mandatory to take in order to take any other shop classes(got a C). Teacher didn't like me very much ;-P

Bottom line, you'll learn more in 6 days working at a real shop than you will in 6 months in a classroom. Use your money to buy beer for someone who knows how to work on the cars, etc, etc, etc....
Old 09-23-2003, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default I started outta necessity. I was in high school...

and had to fix my busted car and didnt have money to pay someone else. I got a lot of practice back then... In college I worked at an Audi/VW repair place and gained more hands on experience. Just takes time. Read a lot about problems, and resolutions on the net will help in being able to diagnose issues. Having a good understanding of different automotive systems doesnt help as well. I know a lot, but there is always more to learn...
Old 09-23-2003, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Don't take a class...just start helping people mod or do maintainence or simply find the DIY ....

instructions for what you are trying to do online. Use common sense and realize all, for the most part, that you are doing is turning a few bolts here and there.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:44 PM
Elder Member

Default Good tools,good manuals,common sense,give yourself plenty of time to do the work,be ready to pay for

your mistakes,learn from them,and learn how the item/system functions before you work on it.