Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Red Box pads not working well in the rain(and dry also) - will the EBC Green Stuff pads work better?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2001, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red Box pads not working well in the rain(and dry also) - will the EBC Green Stuff pads work better?

I've had the Mintex Reds for a couple of years now and can't take it anymore (in the rain). The reason why is I also have Passat with stock pads that work a whole lot better than the red box both in the dry and wet. The reds are particularly bad in the rain - it feels as though they are not going to stop and you have to really push hard on the pedal. My wife complains mostly about this and I thought maybe the greens would do the trick. Or would I also need to get new rotors to get what I am needing?
One good thing with the red box is no dust (green will provide no dust either) and have not had any problems at all with squealing.
Searched for green stuff - but way too many posts to read through.
Will the greens be better than the reds?
Dave K
98 Avant QTTT
99 Passat 1.8 T APR
Old 10-27-2001, 11:50 AM
gtt
AudiWorld Super User

Default ask the TT forum...reports have recently been bad with ebc.....stock still very good for street.

I'm keeping stock and dust cleaning is a hell of a lot easier to deal with than replacing rotors and pads especially if still under warranty.
Old 10-28-2001, 09:08 AM

Default If it is wet braking, dont think the EBC Green wil help.

I am happy with EBC Green on my A4 but they had little if any effect on the wet braking problem my and many other A4 experience.
Old 10-29-2001, 08:13 AM

Default Agreed. EBC in the wet offers no advantage over stock.

In fact, I remember braking in the rain and thinking to myself that they may have been a bit worse than stock, but that was just my subjective experience.
Old 10-29-2001, 08:44 AM

Red Box notoriously bad. Try Pagid for uber brakes (still dusty).
Old 10-29-2001, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I have never had any issues with wet braking in fact I didn't really know what it was, until I...

experimented by driving over a puddle on the freeway and shortly after applying the brakes - whoa - no braking at all on the first pump, let go then normal braking after.

I think this is due to my big fat surface area of my MAE rims shielding much of the stuff out.

Later in the year, I switched my torched stock rotors to Brembo slotteds which I gto from APR in '00. I did try my wet braking experiment but I can't remember having a drastic result as compared to stock.

This winter, I will have the EBC's with the slotteds for the first time. When it rains here, I try that again. EBC's with slotted rotors work great though. Actually, anything with slotteds work better IMO.
Old 11-07-2001, 12:49 AM

Default Go for the Remsa Gold pads...great pads even in the rain....call this ###

1 888-489-2834, his name is Randy and he is a the best in the Audi arena and the only importer of the Remsa Gold pads in the U.S. i have those pads front/rear and i love them, very little dust and great long lasting stopping power, far none..try it and u will love them...