Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

shortened exhaust...fire hazard?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shortened exhaust...fire hazard?

My mufflers are getting tired after 117k miles on the ol' 20020v. I will eventually get around
to replacing the whole down-pipe back system with a Random Tech 3" cat to a 3" catback. I'm not sure whether or not I will use muffler(s).

To help in that decision, I'm thinking of experimenting with a shortened version of the current unit. I would simply remove the mufflers by pulling them from the bolted sleeve prior to the center resonator. See the pics at:
http://www.clarity.net/~paul/audi/stebro/
Driving around without the mufflers would give me an idea of what a straight pipe catback
would sound like, albeit a bit louder given it's exit just aft of my ears!

For now my question is whether or not this arrangement might pose a fire hazard?<ul><li><a href="http://www.clarity.net/~paul/audi/stebro/">exhaust pics</a></li></ul>
Old 01-18-2002, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well.....

On my XR4Ti, I was running just a 3" downpipe for a week (I was waiting for parts) If I built boost up and decelerated, I could get flames to shoot out of the downpipe.
It was pretty cool, until I remembered about the numerous oil leaks I had in the past.
So, the last thing you want to do is set your car on fire.

FWIW, it was REALLY loud with just the downpipe. I added a complete 3" straight-through system, no cat, just a dynomax "bullet" muffler. It's still loud outside, but not as bad inside.

It's not a very good comparison, not only will it be loud, but it will reverberate through the cabin and the floor, making it worse.