Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Some questions about water/air intercooling on the S4

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2001, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some questions about water/air intercooling on the S4

I am thinking about designing and building a custom water/air intercooler setup for my S4 to get around the limited space to add a larger front mount air intercooler. I understand some people have done this. I have a few questions.

With a twin turbo setup do you normally run two seperate circuits i.e. one for each intercooler ? If so, do you run one pump or two?

What size resevoir is the minimum required for reasonable efficiency?

Where is the best place to locate the water tank?

How many heat exchangers should you run and where is the best place to locate them?

Thanks
Paul
Old 10-19-2001, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I don't have a S4, but the theory is simple...

Water to air is much more efficient for packaging purposes. And, it allows a brief period of overboost over a/a intercoolers.

Sparco has a table for specific sizing, and very nice intercoolers for the price. I would say that you want to spec one good pump (a V8 electric water pump from Summitt Racing catalog) that does a parallel split to the intercoolers (series would have uneven temps). I would run water with redline water wetter or any good surfactant, with af in the winter. I would be concerned about the radiator space however. The front end already has a good size radiator and AC rad, space seems limited to me.