Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Valve seat problem? Car at shop for almost 5 weeks! WTF!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve seat problem? Car at shop for almost 5 weeks! WTF!

Ok... car has been out of commission going on end of 4 weeks. Since then, the shop has change all the lifters, K04 turbo (last one died), checked the compression (<3% for all cylinders), tossed in a can of Justice engine flush from ECS Tuning. The result... the tapping/ticking sound goes away for about 30 minutes of start up... then comes right back after warm up. They are running 20W50 for oil. And I'm not talking about slight tapping/ticking. I mean... it is loud, you swear the engine is going to blow up if it keeps tapping/ticking.

At this point, the tech is out of ideas, I'm out of ideas, and even AW Performance Forum is out of ideas. The tech today told me he thinks it could be the valve seat. Ok.. I was just told that's going to be labor intensive/expensive. I mean, if there is a valve seat problem, would I have good compression? I have no freaking clue anymore. WTF is up with the tapping/ticking lifter noise that comes and goes?!? The $$$$ I probably could have bought a used enging for the money I've put into trying to fix this stupid problem. I want to take a f'ing hammer to it!

I have been suggested by others to change the oil pump - even if there is good oil pressure reading. But the tech hasn't done it yet. I'll ask them to do that next.

I'm about fed up with the car... anyone wants to buy it from me? I'm going with public transportation.

History:
https://forums.audiworld.com/performance/msgs/67102.phtml
https://forums.audiworld.com/performance/msgs/67174.phtml
Old 07-15-2004, 11:05 AM

Default Re: Valve seat problem? Car at shop for almost 5 weeks! WTF!

Hang in there grasshopper and stay away from your baby with that damn hammer!
Old 07-15-2004, 06:59 PM

Default you might not be far off with the oil filter...

I don't think changing the oil filter will do much but there is the possibility of a problem with the oil retaining valve which is housed in the oil filter bracket. It is listed in the Bentley manual as one of the causes of severe lifter noise.

Surprised the Audi techs wouldn't consider that the next logical step. Not to mention you can see whether the lifters are the problem by just removing the head cover and turning the crankshaft.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks Greg...

I'm not sure if they've checked the oil retaining valve. I think another Audi tech suggested that before. I'll have them look into that... then replace the oil pump.

I'll give you a ring this weekend to see what they find.

Thanks,
Cris
Old 07-15-2004, 11:20 PM

More than likely your oil pump is on its way out. I had the same thing happen. Changed the oil pump and now the motor runs perfect.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:40 AM

For sure, with just a small difference in compressure like 3%, you problem IS NOT the valve seats.
If it were the valve seats you would have a very low compression, at least on one cylinder.
The oil retainnig valve could be the problem, as it could also be the oil pump (even with good oil pressure), but are you shure it's lifter noise you're hearing? But Weren't you who said in another thread that the sound came from the bottom end?
Old 07-16-2004, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default They replaced the oil retaining valve,...

that didn't solve the problem. So, they pulled it back out (I think). Today, they are putting the oil pump in. Hopefully, that'll solve the problem. I will drive it into a tree if it doesn't.

They told me they started the car this morning and it was fine (@ idle). Then again, the problem seems to come once the engine warms up. I wonder if the oil pump is faulty when it gets hot?

I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 07-19-2004, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default camshaft tensioner going whacky?

Possible, and the chain rubs on the cover and sounds like a diesel
Old 07-21-2004, 11:11 PM
CP

Default Call your brother...

And get that Scirocco back ;^) Hell, even the 4000 would be nice at this point. There's got to be a point where you have to stop spending money on it. Good luck Cris.

I'm heading to the Rock this weekend for a wedding. What's the drive time out the Pike on that...5 hours?
Old 07-25-2004, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default dude... sold the Rocco for $500.

I wasn't about to bring the rusted Rocco down south with me. It runs too hot for this climate.