Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

what is the best audi for off road racing....

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shhhh....quiet now.. We gotta help him unload it..
Old 02-01-2003, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Re: Diffs.

In the limited gravel driving I've done with the CQ, I can't say that I enjoyed the Torsen center, can be too unpredictable (no locked rear, never jumpered the switch to allow locking at speeds >20mph. It comes down to the whole "torsen debate" from Dave Eaton, Phil Payne (I think he was in on it) and Scott J. back in the day on the q-list. I'm not sure one person ever nailed that situation down. I never thought that the torsen was all that consistent, as I have gotten into "trouble" in slippery stuff some times, but other times it was great. But, on asphalt/tarmac, I'll definately take the torsen. Would be interesting if a V8q's rear torsen could be fitted to the smaller housing of the CQ. And I love my ABS on/off switch in both the 5kq and CQ.

For a learner, the lockers really can't be beat, IMO. Thats what I started on, and am still most comfortable with in the slippery stuff. EDL works great on the street in the '99 A6Aq, but I can definately see the downsides you have pointed out. Brakes are not something you want going away in competition...
Old 02-01-2003, 07:31 AM

Default Well fellas.....

I'm either going to build one form scratch or save some money and work on an already rally prepped car. As for experience, I'm not going to be the only person driving the car but a friend of mine who has raced in open SCCA class for years will be doing most of the driving. But its an idea which we want to proceed with during the next few months and since we have had enough with VWs (not to say anything is wrong with them) we wanted to go alittle bigger and alot stronger.

Again thanks for the page with all the rally cars for sale. It has alot of cars which i may be interested in and alot of good starter cars to build up on. If any of you have some pointers on what to look for with specific models when purchasing that would be great since it is the first time both of us are venturing into the audi world of rally cars. Thnaks again fellas for all the help
Old 02-01-2003, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah--Do not drive new Audis on gravel.

I was farting around on a gravel road with my A8L one day and nearly got it all wrong. Came very close to wrapping it around a tree. But the thing that I remember was the funny squirrelly fishtailing on the back end under braking and the car wouldn't stop. I think that was the ABS cause I could feel it in the brake pedal. Then when I kinda got the car pointed where I wanted, I gave it gas and the EDL and traction control started right back up with the squirrelly fishtailing. I wasn't really going that fast. Bottom line... New Audis are crap on gravel. Granted I was in a big heavy car, but something wasn't quite right with the electronics response.

No ABS and locked diffs is awesome. Its the way to go. Locking up those tires and having them dig into and push the gravel is great.
Old 02-02-2003, 01:03 PM
No Bozos!

You got that right!
Old 02-02-2003, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Yeah--Do not drive new Audis on gravel.

That would have been a pretty expensive boo-boo if you would have lost it in the A8L...Not that loosing it in the A1 would be any less expensive.

Wonder how it would act if you pulled fuses? Probably wouldn't be a whole lot different than the CQ (although I've heard that the newer torsens have a different bias ratio 2.x:1 vs 3.x:1, so they may behave a bit better?).

The quote about the urq (from the 1982 Four Wheeler mag.) that is on a few websites (including 20v.org and my own site) is so true...
Old 02-02-2003, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Well fellas.....

I think between the rally guys on here, and those of us that know the older cars better than any of the others, you'll get all sorts of answers that should help you out.

I'd definately check out the 4kq cars, and look at pages like Huw Powells, and there are several other sites dedicated to the 1st gen cars. I think AudiFans has a listing? Can't remember. Maybe check out the Audi webring directory too, I know there is a link on s-cars and 20v.org to it...
Old 02-03-2003, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thats what insurance is for.. Isn't it?
Old 02-03-2003, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, but then your premiums go up even more...
Old 02-04-2003, 04:05 AM
No Bozos!

Default So...

when you go out full bore through the woods begging the trees to jump out in front of you...,you SHOULDN'T tell your insurance company?

Quick Reply: what is the best audi for off road racing....