Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

What is the best HP mod?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2000, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the best HP mod?

I have about $2500.00 bucks burning a hole in my pocket. I want to use this cash to make my 2000 A4 1.8T go faster. I currently have an APR chip, Borla exhaust and an HKS Powerflo air filter. I'm not sure how many ponies I'm making but I do know it's not enough. So, do I spring for a ko4 turbo? How about a ko4 hybrid? A bigger turbo than the ko4? I'm baffled by all the choices. I guess i'm looking to you to help me spend my money wisely and effectively.

Any advice, thoughts, postulations, theory, or other information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Todd Walsh
Old 11-16-2000, 09:42 AM

Default for your budget i would reccomend a Ko4 kit

you might have to get another chip for your turbo unfortunatly APR does not have Ko4 software, i would reccomend garret programming
PES sells a very comprehensive kit including upgraded fuel injectors, and they use custom garret software for thier kit. if you were to go with a Ko4 kit this would be the one.

unless you can get another 2500 for a stage III..j/k
Old 11-16-2000, 10:43 AM

Default I would start saving up for the other half of Stage III...

You're already halfway there, might as well go for it. If you get the K04, you will probably wish you had done things differently a year or two from now. So start saving up those pennies!
Old 11-16-2000, 01:26 PM

Default K04 is nice bolt in but I dont think APR SW supports it.

I think a version of the K04 and some K03 hybrids are the only turbos that will bolt straight in.

Unfortunately for you the Stage 1 to Stage 3 path that APR follows leads to an APR/Garrett turbo which also requires a minimum of a new exhaust manifold and down pipe (assuming your exhaust is suitable) and their chip tuning goes that way. This is a pretty big leap financially (a tick under $5k, but the Garrett used has several advantages over a K04, again the entry price is steep.

GIAC has software (chip) for the K04 and the K04 path requires the least initial investment because you can reuse your other hardware although improving it too is a good idea.

The K04 isnt going to ever be as efficient as the Garrett (generates more heat per pound of boost) and you will probably find yourself adding a FMIC pretty quickly because of the limited capability of the stock intercooler and the added heat. So the real price may not be as little as you think - but it can be incremental.

Since APR is a popular performance chip and the 2000 a popular year if you go the GIAC/K04 route you may be able to sell/swap your APR'd ECU to someone with a stock one so your investment there isnt a complete loss.
Old 11-16-2000, 01:40 PM

Default Re: K04 is nice bolt in but I dont think APR SW supports it.

Sounds reasonable. Can the K04 be balanced or something to make it more efficient? How much is the FMIC? Is there a gain in buying the FMIC, or does it just limit the loss?

Thanks

Todd
Old 11-16-2000, 02:40 PM

Default Re: What is the best HP mod?

If you are in the Denver area I can show you what the stage III looks and feels like. It is in a Passat but I think performance would be similar.
Old 11-17-2000, 04:11 AM

Default Check turbo5.com...

Although a fairly new concern MC (Clark) has gone the GIAC and K04 route for a while now with his own A4, developing several new pieces including a good FMIC as well as having worked with GIAC to optimize the software for this setup. A fair amount of turbo5.com unique offerings are the result of MC's journey of performance evolution with his car.

Generally a decent FMIC isnt going to be cheap. Well over $1000 should be expected.

The FMIC doesnt improve the K04 efficiency, as APR likes to point out the KKK design for these is over 20 years old and a lot about turbo design has been learned since then - leading to much more efficient designs, but it does help bring the added heat back down to less lethal levels much better than the stock IC.

By the way this efficiency thing doesnt necessarily mean lower reliability. There are a few places online to read more than you ever wanted to know about turbos and how they work. These people are much more knowledgable than I on this so If you are interested in pursuing this understanding I might suggest you search out and read some of these.

Disclaimer: I am not connecnted with turbo5 at all. In fact I have APR software.