Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

What's the goop on the back of an ignition (Power Ouput Stage) module? Possible mounting spots?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2001, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the goop on the back of an ignition (Power Ouput Stage) module? Possible mounting spots?

I just got my new ignition module ($260 inc. overnight shipping - thanks Clair Parts) and it didn't come with the goop you put on the back.

The original stuff is white and pasty, like a heatsink compound. The local autoparts store said I need dielectric grease. Dielectric grease is more of a lubricant/corrosion prohibitor than a heat transfer compound, but that's all they had.

I can see why you'd want to limit corrosion, but I would think a heat sink compound would do the same, while providing better cooling. I can probably pick some up from a computer store (they use it on CPU heatsinks)

Right now, I scraped all the old gunk off onto the new module, put some dielectric grease on it, and put it in. It's running fine, except I want to make absolutely sure this thing does not overheat.

I'm going to mount this thing somewhere else (I'm running a modified TAP cone kit, the module mounts on the MAF bracket) Probably down lower, and mount the biggest heatsink I can find on it.

Didn't they move the module away from the airbox in newer models? Any idea where they put it?

Thanks,
Old 07-12-2001, 10:06 AM

Default Re: What's the goop on the back of an ignition (Power Ouput Stage) module? Possible mounting spots?

The dielectric grease will likely be melted away the next time you look (lower melt point than the heat sink cpd).

If I were you, I'd get some heat sink cpd from the computer store and reapply it (making sure to eliminate all air gaps) before I drove my car in the heat much.

Good Luck
Old 07-12-2001, 10:12 AM
Elder Member

Default dialelectric grease isn't heat sink compound?

I thought it was. Anyway, that goop is certainly heat sink compound, as that is always found near large FETs. White, goopy, seems vaguely like wet zinc oxide. I don't know what heat sink grease is, but you don't want to go without it.
Old 07-12-2001, 11:11 AM

Default Nope...it's a high temp non-conductive, electric

insulator gel with some lubricative properties - it's what I used to use on my SHO for the brake caliper pin lube - won't melt under extreme heat.

Heat sink compound is a heat transfer agent that is not designed to lube, and will melt under extreme temps. The stuff for computer CPU fans will work fine on an ignition module.

Wow, something mechanical you didn't know - that's unusual.

Mike
Old 07-12-2001, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The packaging says nothing about it's heat sink abilities...

It's Permatex stuff, and it's clear. It shows it being used on spark plug boots, and talks about it being used to prevent moisture and corrosion. Nothing about being applied to hot ignition module heat sink surfaces.....
Old 07-12-2001, 02:04 PM

It has none...not designed for that.