Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

x-post Electric fan kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default x-post Electric fan kit

Has anyone devised and alternative wiring plan that would allow the primary fan to run at a low speed all the time and based on a thermostat jump up to high speed. I know the current set-up explained with the kit only activates the primary fan when the secondary fan kicks on. As a bonus I would like it to run during the cool-down phase with my turbo timer.

Has anyone done this? Any ideas?
Old 08-21-2002, 06:36 PM
JWG

Default While I am no electrical engineer, it appears possible . . .

However, I do not know why you would want to do this, because the auxilary fan only cuts in when the coolant temperature gets too high. If you put the main fan on the same circuit it will also cut in only when the coolant temps get too high. Thus, I do not see the advantage to modifying this set-up, because it will regulate the temperature as needed.

If you think that the normal set-up will overtax the auxilary fan or not serve the purpose of properly regulating engine temperature, then you will need to consult with someone who knows how to wire the details, but I have done stuff like this with my father when I was a kid (he apprenticed with Siemens during his youth and did electronics installations in everything from the St. Louis Arch to NASA spacecraft).

Basically, you need a direct electrical feed that comes alive with the alternator. You would restrict the power to have the fan's motor run slowly. Then splice in the power cables for the auxilary fan to activate a simple electrical switch to bypass the restrictor and allow full power to the fan's motor. When the auxilary fan cuts out, it switches back to the restricted power mode.

I do not understand the purpose of your "bonus" plan. What exactly happens during the "cool-down" phase with the turbo timer? Why would you want to have the fan on if the coolant remained within proper operating temperatures?
Old 08-22-2002, 06:40 AM

Default The way the kit comes it only runs when the aux fan is triggered. (bad)

I want to change that. Also the standard install of a turbo timer keeps the engine running, but the cooling fans shut off. I want to run the Electric all the time on low. When the temp hits a certain point, I want it to kick into high speed. It would be independent of the aux fan all together. As a bonus, I would like to ensure that the fan continues to run while the turbo timer is keeping the engine going.
Old 08-22-2002, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

I wired the electric fan to the aux as instructions stated but also........