Q3 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q3 SUV

Excessive pitching and body roll

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excessive pitching and body roll

My Q3, which has done about 2000kms since its purchase about a month ago, pitches a lot fro side to side. It seems that every bit of road undulation gets magnified as a excessive body-roll. So much so that I am fed up with this vehicle and am cursing myself for its purchase.
Is there anyone which a similar experience?. if not, it would mean that my car's suspension has an issue.
Thanks for your help.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

your car is a bit more performance minded so the stiffness of the suspension will give less. with your explanation it seems like you might be more interested in a car that has very soft suspension. if that's too late you can change out the suspension to a much more softer set.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Stiff Ride

Originally Posted by dshekhar11
My Q3, which has done about 2000kms since its purchase about a month ago, pitches a lot fro side to side. It seems that every bit of road undulation gets magnified as a excessive body-roll. So much so that I am fed up with this vehicle and am cursing myself for its purchase.
Is there anyone which a similar experience?. if not, it would mean that my car's suspension has an issue.
Thanks for your help.
What psi are your tires set at? Recommended psi is 33 all around. My 2017 Q3 Prestige rides well @ this setting.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my apologies for not being able to connect earlier. Thanks. Have been maintaining 33 psi nitrogen but have been experiencing it despite that.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think our Q3 handles better than our S3. the S3 has a bit softer suspension.

my history with suspension, I have used from oem to aftermarket sets that were custom to my request that had separate rebound and compression setting with individual reservoir. for daily the Q3 handles very well.

this complaint reminds me of when the 2004 Subaru STi was first released in America. I was one of those who bought the first shipment. many also bought one but a few forum members complained that the ride was harsh. boy they bought the wrong car. they thought it was a comfort car which it definitely was not.
as for the Q3 I wouldn't say its an easy car to determine if its performance based till you own one but ill say that its definitely headed that way.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

My allroad was very "planted" and comfortable. But at 7.1" ground clearance not as tall as the Q3.

Anyone compare same to a Q3 on an extended drive (my only Q3 drive was a recent short loaner trip)? Thanks.

edit: hmmm.. I now see the Q3 is spec'd at 6.7" clearance. But then the allroad frame width was/is based on the wider A5 so innately less roll.

Last edited by Huey52; 02-10-2017 at 02:48 AM.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Q3 ride

Originally Posted by dshekhar11
Thanks for your help.
In Dec. bought a 2017 Q3 Prestige. Really like the ride but knew it could be better. I am very particular about what tires are on my cars.
The oem Conti's that came are not a great tire. Right off the showroom floor they had a roaring sound & only so-so in other areas. My favorite tire for the Q3 would be the Conti DWS-06. (Go to Tirerack.com & compare these tires.). Last week bit the bullet & changed new oem tires for the DWS-06,s. Much better ride as well as better traction,no more roaring. Have had the Conti DWS,s on several previous cars so I knew what to expect & I was not disappointed.
Also make sure that-a least starting out- that you have 33-33 psi. Personally I run 36-33 psi as I prefer the increased handling & have not noticed any noticeable comfort change.
Have been driving German cars for over 40 yrs. Most of the time they put crappy tires on @ the factory. Interesting--the DWS-06 tires are lower cost than the crappy ProContac. Hope this helps.