Q3 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q3 SUV

Q3 Transmission Shift Quirks

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brightonkenrick
Be careful when adding an APR tune. Most Audi dealers are known for blaming issues on aftermarket tunes even though that's not the source of the problem.
Luckily, my dealership sells APR tunes. Stage 1 with no other mods is all I’m looking for. A trans remap would definitely help too.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had my 2020 Q3 for about a month. For me, this shifting issue is most noticeable when I accelerate out of a stop. The first couple of downshifts during the initial acceleration are jerky and not refined. Once I get going, the shifting is pretty smooth. Does this line up with what you all are experiencing? It seems a little better in Dynamic mode. Some here have mentioned that they are hoping for a transmission re-map in the future. What are the chances of that?
Old 08-24-2021, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you have an update to your problem?

Originally Posted by brightonkenrick
I just drove my 2019 Q3 about 800 miles over the holiday weekend. I've always felt the 8 speed that Audi is using in the new generation Q3 in the US & Canada was a little clunky. I've heard it's an ASIN sourced transmission. My daily commute is mostly city driving that tops out at 40mph. I noticed on the highway when transitioning from 6th to 7th and from 7th to 8th it often bangs into gear with moderate acceleration. This shift pattern was quite consistent during my trip. I noticed around town it can be a jerky from 1st to 2nd. I had my local Audi dealer reset the transmission software which didn't help. I've owned/driven other Audi products and this transmission seems to lack the refinement that other models have. MotorTrend and Car and Driver have commented about the transmission in the current generation. I have 3,000 miles on my car and wanted to get experiences from everyone with a 2019 and 2020 Q3.
I have 2021 Q3 andI'm experiencing the symptoms as yours. Do you have an update if your has been resolved?
Old 08-24-2021, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by G Lab
I have 2021 Q3 andI'm experiencing the symptoms as yours. Do you have an update if your has been resolved?
Resurrecting an old thread.

I'd check with your Audi service advisor if your car has the most up to date software. If so, how many miles do you have on your vehicle? The shifting and getting used to the throttle takes some time where you don't notice any issues. Play around with the drive modes as well, to suit your style of driving. It took me a couple months to get really comfortable with the vehicle.
Old 08-24-2021, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by LX302
Resurrecting an old thread.

I'd check with your Audi service advisor if your car has the most up to date software. If so, how many miles do you have on your vehicle? The shifting and getting used to the throttle takes some time where you don't notice any issues. Play around with the drive modes as well, to suit your style of driving. It took me a couple months to get really comfortable with the vehicle.
I’ve had my 2020 for the past 22 months and unfortunately I still have yet to get used to the transmission. Aside from the unpredictable jerkiness at random times when accelerating (gently), the “banging into gear” is what’s most disconcerting for me. At highway speeds, when shifting from 6 to 7 or 7 to 8, often there’s a noticeable thud. Downshifts, however, are super smooth. Haven’t had an automatic transmission that’s felt like this since the early 80s. The random jerkiness at acceleration is tolerable but embarrassing if someone is riding with me. Feels as though I’ve suddenly mashed the accelerator by accident when in reality the trans is fishing for the right gear. I’m a gentle driver, btw, not at all spirited. Everyone’s experience will likely very depending on when and how their trans was assembled. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-25-2021, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big and Dangerous Throttle Delay

Originally Posted by John1
I’ve had my 2020 for the past 22 months and unfortunately I still have yet to get used to the transmission. Aside from the unpredictable jerkiness at random times when accelerating (gently), the “banging into gear” is what’s most disconcerting for me. At highway speeds, when shifting from 6 to 7 or 7 to 8, often there’s a noticeable thud. Downshifts, however, are super smooth. Haven’t had an automatic transmission that’s felt like this since the early 80s. The random jerkiness at acceleration is tolerable but embarrassing if someone is riding with me. Feels as though I’ve suddenly mashed the accelerator by accident when in reality the trans is fishing for the right gear. I’m a gentle driver, btw, not at all spirited. Everyone’s experience will likely very depending on when and how their trans was assembled. Just my 2 cents.
I have a 2018 Q3 with the 7 speed tranny and since day I have had issues with the transmission "mapping". In normal drive mode, upshifting is slow (lazy) in normal city driving and on slight inclines refuses to kick down 1 gear unless I floor it and then seems to go from 7th to 2nd. But much worse and dangerous, is in certain situations for instance turning out of a driveway waiting for traffic to clear, when the gas pedal is pressed a complete lack of response for as long as 2 seconds. I have experienced this also when in a left turn lane waiting for an opening in traffic - then when an opening comes and the gas pedal is pressed- nothing! for 2 seconds. Of course the natural reaction is to floor it and even then there is a lag. I have had about a dozen near misses turning left. This could easily cause an accident. The mapping in the normal "drive" mode is flat out wrong and dangerous. Its not a matter of "to get used to the transmission", the mapping is faulty and dangerous. I don't know if this is worse on my 2018 7 speed than on later models, but it is very scary at times. In sport mode it is much better, but for city driving, that is very buzzy and not very economical. Hoping to take it in for service soon and see if there is a re-mapping or some other fix. This is almost to the point of trading the vehicle.
Old 08-25-2021, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

Just a clarification:
All USA Gen-1 Q3s (2015 to 2018) have a 6-speed Aisin (Japanese made) conventional torque converter automatic.
Rest-of-world Gen-1 Q3s (2015 to 2017) had 6-speed manual transmissions or 7 speed DSGs.

All USA Gen-2 Q3s (2019 onward) have 8-speed Aisin "09P" (Japanese made) conventional torque converter automatics.
Rest-of-world Gen-2 Q3s (2018 onward) have 6-speed manual transmissions, or 6-speed DSGs, or 7-speed DSGs.

And generally speaking, the shift strategies / shift quality / programming of the USA torque converter automatics is awful, Gen-1 or Gen-2. What are they thinking?

Last edited by S4'ed; 08-25-2021 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-25-2021, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Prior to the Q3, I had an A3 equipped with a 6 speed DSG. Best auto trans of all the cars I’ve had. Vastly different feel. The DSG shifted lightening quick and like butter. Really wish they had put a DSG in this car.

Old 08-25-2021, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

We also had an A3 with DSG and agree that it was a great transmission which really transformed the car. We also had a Tiguan with the 6 speed auto and the only problem with that was that it had only 6 gears.
But the Q3 is a completely different vehicle and I believe more suited to the 8 speed automatic. I’m very pleased with ours.
Coming from an A4 with the vaunted ZF I have no issues at all with the Aisin.
Sometimes I wonder if there is country of manufacture bias like there is with Mexican built cars.
It was specifically pointed out that the Aisin is built in Japan but I don’t care. Really what difference does it make?
Old 08-25-2021, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

No discriminatory bias, but a Japanese designed and manufactured transmission is probably more reliable than anything the Germans can come with........
The following 2 users liked this post by S4'ed:
rez (09-16-2021), TurboBlue5150 (08-26-2021)

Quick Reply: Q3 Transmission Shift Quirks