Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

20" wheel options (OEM or aftermarket)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20" wheel options (OEM or aftermarket)

Hey guys, I'm new to the board here. Looks like this forum is one of the more active, so I'm glad to have found you!

I just bought a Q5 3.0T last week, and it will be my wife's daily driver. We did not special order it or anything, and it probably has fewer options than most. Has the MMI/Nav package and S-line trim, but it is not a full S-line package.

I'm really impressed with the vehicle.

I'm a big hot-rodder, but given this is momma's car, I don't see myself being able to get away with doing much to it. However, we have the 19" wheel/tire option, and I think those little 235mm wide tires are too small. The ride is nice, and surprisingly it handles well for an SUV (but we are coming from a full-size SUV, so anything will handle better than that). Still, the handling is confidence-inspiring, so that is nice.

Wondering how wide of a tire I can go with a set of 20s? I saw one poster on here has 275/40s all the way around. I understand the factory 20" option has 255/45s. That is probably just fine for us, but did want to ask what the widest is that someone has installed, but not sticking out way past the fender.

Also, I assume with a 9" wide wheel, I want a +40mm offset, correct? From the research I've done it looks like if I stay in the 30-40mm range, I will be ok, though. Thoughts?

Feel free to post pictures of your rides on 20s.

I do not want to spend $1-2k per wheel on this vehicle. That's for other toys in the garage. :P

Thanks for any help and advice you can provide!
Old 04-01-2013, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Oh... and our Q5 is Ice Silver, so I am wanting to get an anthracite finish or gunmetal finish as far as color goes.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I have to 245/45/20 factory optional - looks great.... FYI ... There are trim strips that extend the wheel wells a bit to prevent stone chips and splash when you go up to a wider wheel/tire... You may want to order those ..
Old 04-01-2013, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can afford factory rims, you'd be better off doing that. I've gone with aftermarket. the weight was different changing the feel of the car as well as the trueness of the rims wasn't so great. The car wasn't smooth anymore. I just went back to the factory rims.

If the price is really good, stay away. Pay a premium for quality rims. If they are made in Asia? Run away.

Be sure to get the correct offset. Get professional advice. I was told that the rims I got were for my car but they sat in the well more and was probably a good reason why the car didn't drive the same.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 586 Likes on 491 Posts
Default Or, Plan B staying w/ 19's

Just ordered one, also w/ 19's, which will be the same 235/55-19's. Likewise the wife's primary prospective car. Coming from the A8 world at 450HP where I have 275's on factory 20's, a bit different...

I have already poked at the various ideas and fitments, coupled with an eBay search for wheels and takeoff sets. And actually from the A8 side as a passenger car that used fitments from 18 to 20, the sense there for passenger cars (not SUV's though) is the 19 sizes that vehicle uses in stock sizing are the more problematic/fewer choice/more expensive ones. BUT, all that said, I'm seriously considering just using 255/50's on the stock 19" wheels when the time comes. The Q5 I'm getting doesn't have the air ride of the A8 either, which definitely helps smooth things out with lower profile tires from my experience compared to conventional steel spring suspensions.

I see some decent tire choices out there in 255/50-19's, and the 8" wheel can easily handle 255's in a 50 aspect ratio. The diameter and revs per mile are all very close. Even the 20's in 255/45 could be done on an 8" wheel, though the Q5 wheels are 8.5" in 20.s. By doing it that way I spend $0 on wheels, yet get the basic braking and other traction of 255's, etc. My old A6 came with 255/40-17's on an 8" factory wheel, and even there is has none of the bulging sidewall "cop car" look if you try to stuff too much tire on a more modest width wheel.

As far as cornering power, I am not expecting miracles with the vehicle as high as it is. And like most all Audi's, particularly quattro, they are fairly porky--like many vehicles these days. Thus, having tweaked my prior Audi's but always staying close to stock look I will be poking carefully at the roll (sway) bars, especially in back. I will be waiting to see what the new SQ5 has as a likely donor bar if it's bigger, and have also found the bar fitment appear to cross over to the A7 as a clue to look to the S7. Can't yet find 2013 parts listings though to confirm further, since the other likely donors are pretty new, or yet to come. Aftermarket bars are few and far between for Q5's as well.

If you do poke at wheels, make sure to note the Q5 stock offsets. Since it's more typical SUV type look--bigger wheels, pushed out fenders, etc., the offsets are on the aggressive side relative to the passenger car Audis in general. Thus, if you want the more aggressive stance of the wheels fairly far toward the fenders, if you try it with many other Audi platform OE wheels (or aftermarket wheels sold for them), the offsets will probably be somewhat wanting. Thus in my poking, I pretty much discarded other Audi platform OE wheels (even if I could find them), unless typically they were at least S and maybe RS offsets and width (and post the hub center increase from recent years). Meanwhile, given it's wife's ride prospectively and "less is more," I suspect it will eventually just be 255/50's on the stock Q5 19's.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 04-01-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

^ Yes, when it comes time to replace the original tires, I'll go with 255/50/19s too. The 235s are a bit narrow.

TireRack has decent wheels (ie OZ) in 19" starting in the $400 range, but 20s seem to command around $600 a piece.

I took off the winter rims yesterday and weight of the heavy OEM 19s is fresh in my mind. They've got to be 65 lb a corner, which means the wheels have to be 35.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Personally, despite how "cool" some aftermarket wheels look, on certain cars, I'm a firm, firm believer in OEM units.

One would need to spend an inordinate sum to get an aftermarket wheel built to the same quality and performance standards as the factory wheel. In fact, even if you spent a ton, you still might never equal that quality. In this case, Audi makes millions of Q5 vehicles, sold around the world, with the same choice of wheels. I would venture a guess, that the biggest aftermarket wheel manufacturer might be lucky if they sold half as many wheels. TOTAL. Let alone, for a specific sub-model.

It's economy of scale, for the OEM.

And I certainly bought aftermarket rims for my cars, as a young punk. Despite the initial visual infatuation, the aftermarket rims never fared well in the long run.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0

If you do poke at wheels, make sure to note the Q5 stock offsets. Since it's more typical SUV type look--bigger wheels, pushed out fenders, etc., the offsets are on the aggressive side relative to the passenger car Audis in general. ...
Interesting point ... Can someone post the proper wheel dimensions for the 17", 18", 19" & 20" wheels? (... I want to downsize for my winter set ...)

TIA ...
Old 04-01-2013, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by dougnash
Personally, despite how "cool" some aftermarket wheels look, on certain cars, I'm a firm, firm believer in OEM units.

One would need to spend an inordinate sum to get an aftermarket wheel built to the same quality and performance standards as the factory wheel. In fact, even if you spent a ton, you still might never equal that quality. In this case, Audi makes millions of Q5 vehicles, sold around the world, with the same choice of wheels. I would venture a guess, that the biggest aftermarket wheel manufacturer might be lucky if they sold half as many wheels. TOTAL. Let alone, for a specific sub-model.

It's economy of scale, for the OEM.

And I certainly bought aftermarket rims for my cars, as a young punk. Despite the initial visual infatuation, the aftermarket rims never fared well in the long run.
I've never had an issue with "aftermarket" wheels. OZ, BBS, HRE, etc. make quality wheels. Quite frankly I'd be surprised if Audi actually makes any wheels at all given they're in the business of building cars. Even cheap winter wheels (Sport Edition, Moda, MSW) have served me well, but I may have just been lucky.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 586 Likes on 491 Posts
Default Various specs:

All Q5 OE:

17's: 235/65-17 tire 8x17 wheel (ET??; found spec in Irish brochure; likely 39 given width) [17's may too small for the V6, hybrid or upcoming U.S. TDI front brakes; would need to be checked]
18's 235/60-18 tire 8 x 18 wheel ET39
19: 235/55-19 tire 8 x 19 wheel ET 39
20: 255/45-20 tire 8.5x20 wheel ET33

Per TireRack, checking several tires both the factory 20 sizing and 255/50-19's come in at 29.0" diameter. The 235/55-19's are commonly 29.2" (minor difference). All the other tire sizes (or snow tire narrower alternates) should come in at that same 29-29.2" range.

BTW, there is a used set of Q5 factory 17's w/ snow fitment now on ebay (and two more pricy new ones from a dealer), a couple of 18" take off type sets, and a 19" set of factory wheels (no rubber).

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 04-01-2013 at 05:59 PM.

Quick Reply: 20" wheel options (OEM or aftermarket)