Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2009 Q5 parking system faulty

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Q5 parking system faulty

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this is not the right area for this question (newbie here) but I was wondering if one of you guys could help me with the issue I'm currently facing:

I have a problem with the entire parking sensor system. We were knocked into from the rear a few moths ago and a few weeks later the parking sensor system started going into an error mode (long biiip with flashing yellow led under the button) whenever you press the park assist button or when you go into reverse.
Symptoms are easy: nothing works. No sensor display and no reverse camera.

I acoustically checked the sensors and one (the rear left one) was indeed not working. So I ordered a new one and replaced it but that didn't repair the problem. Just to make sure, I positionned the new one in place of an existing working one and the new sensor is not faulty. Interestingly, the old 'faulty' sensor positioned in another spot 'ticks' like all the others. So it's really a problem with that specific sensor position.

So I'm thinking one of 3 things:
1. The wiring to that sensor is faulty
I had a look but there are no pinches or other visible damage on the wiring.
2. The parking sensor calculator (8K0-919-475-J) is faulty
Would surprise me that the calculator could have a single sensor fault capacity. Surely if it was faulty, the entire rear sensor array would cut out (which is not the case). But I may be wrong...
3. Some sort of reset is required
I tried a 3 button MMI reset but that doesn't seem to reset the parking sensor system. Maybe there is some internal reset that can be done via the VAG-COM?

That's where I'm at. If any of you had a better idea of how to fix the problem, that would be great.

Thanks again,

Nick
Old 10-14-2016, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Clearing the faults may fix it but probably not. Comparing the original fault codes to the one(s) that come back will help you narrow what is wrong. May be as simple as a connector misbehaving from the violence have to be unplugged and re-plugged. Good Luck.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I think you pretty much HAVE TO get in there and manually check that there are no pinches, shorts, disconnects, water intrusion, in the entire wiring harness or the sensors, in the entire bumper. Odds are that something which got smacked, degenerated from chafing or water intrusion of perhaps simply falling out of place.

After that, you move on to more esoteric things.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys for the replies and ideas.

I was hoping not to but I do think that a complete wiring check is required. At least I'm glad none of you think that the parking sensor calculator is faulty. Kinda thought so as well but needed a confirmation.

I'm gonna go dive in there this weekend.

Nick