Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2011 Q5 2.0T mysterious FIRE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. From the pics Id say its totaled, Im wondering if the problematic headlight ballast had anything to do with it? Get ready to pick out a new car tho..
Old 03-12-2011, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kidd07
I have All State, the guy that picked up the phone when i called to let them know my car is on fire he had the never to tell me that based on the information i gave him, which was the entire front end if melted, he told me it might not be totaled they can fix it.

I dunno, will have to see what happens, no way im dirving it again if its fixed.
Make sure if it comes to it you are completely firm that you do not want the car fixed. Be prepared to tell them why. Fire damage, especially the kind the melts the front end of a car (sarcastic tone implied), very likely has distorted the material properties of everything behind the fire wall which did not melt. Thus, you have an unsafe vehicle compared to a new one if you car were to ever be involved in a future accident. Not a big fan of dealing with insurance companies sometimes. Make sure to involve AOA in this though. My thought is they should be the ones picking up the bill for this one.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by abacon09
Make sure if it comes to it you are completely firm that you do not want the car fixed. Be prepared to tell them why. Fire damage, especially the kind the melts the front end of a car (sarcastic tone implied), very likely has distorted the material properties of everything behind the fire wall which did not melt. Thus, you have an unsafe vehicle compared to a new one if you car were to ever be involved in a future accident. Not a big fan of dealing with insurance companies sometimes. Make sure to involve AOA in this though. My thought is they should be the ones picking up the bill for this one.
Completely agree and no telling how much electrical damage has been done with all the wiring shorting out because of melted insulation. It looks totaled to me. Final repair bill could easily be 100% more than original estimate. Again, have fun car shopping!
Old 03-12-2011, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It will cost more fixing it than getting you a replacement.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Totalled for sure. Good luck with everything...
Old 03-12-2011, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

There is no way insurance will fix this. I saw new cars with less damage totaled.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My question is, has anyone experienced this or heard of someone's Audi burn out of nowhere. I was parked, not even moving, I was not smoking, all of a sudden the front end was on fire.

Jackie[/QUOTE]

As a matter of fact there was a report recently on local news about a women who escaped injury when her "new" car spontaneously caught fire and burned. Video from the scene revealed the vehicle to be....Audi A4; entire front end destroyed very much like your photos.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GoinAudiMyMind
My question is, has anyone experienced this or heard of someone's Audi burn out of nowhere. I was parked, not even moving, I was not smoking, all of a sudden the front end was on fire.
As a matter of fact there was a report recently on local news about a women who escaped injury when her "new" car spontaneously caught fire and burned. Video from the scene revealed the vehicle to be....Audi A4; entire front end destroyed very much like your photos.[/QUOTE]

WOW that is some scary stuff... i wonder what happened to the woman, did audi give her a new car or compensated her in some way.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kidd07
As a matter of fact there was a report recently on local news about a women who escaped injury when her "new" car spontaneously caught fire and burned. Video from the scene revealed the vehicle to be....Audi A4; entire front end destroyed very much like your photos.
WOW that is some scary stuff... i wonder what happened to the woman, did audi give her a new car or compensated her in some way.[/QUOTE]

If you have the right rider on your insurance allstate is supposed to replace the vehicle at no cost to you. Usually they will prorate what they give you based on the amount of time you've owned the vehicle. In fact, I think they'll even let you get a model year newer if it's totaled within a year. I think the only possible way they could claim it's not totaled is to say they would use referb/junk yard parts to do the repair. You have every right to say hell no!
Old 03-12-2011, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hope you have gap insurance or w/e insurance that is for new cars. Yeah the South Street FDNY isn't too far away at all. I would have cried had this happened to me. I wonder what AoA has to say on this since they do lurk on these boards. hmm. This sucks man.

Quick Reply: 2011 Q5 2.0T mysterious FIRE!!!!