Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2014 q5 DRL problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
I believe that there is a separate bulb for the LED. I'll check tomorrow and post here.
Hello Bob Petruska, I think you are on to something. I've been reading about this problem, and I believe the problem lies with the following part 8r0941475 https://www.lichtex.de/valeo-led-tag...475b/a-941475/
I am ordering one tomorrow and see if it resolves the issue. BTW, audi customer service sucks b---s. I don't think I will buy an Audi again.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

They don't all

FMVSS Standard No. 108 lays it all out, starting with cars that have combined DRLs and turn signals:from jalopnikEach DRL optically combined with a turn signal lamp must be automatically deactivated as a DRL when the turn signal lamp or hazard warning lamp is activated, and automatically reactivated as a DRL when the turn signal lamp or hazard warning lamp is deactivated.So, it’s pretty straightforward for vehicles with combined blinkers and DRLs. If a car’s turn signal and DRL are separate, though, that doesn’t mean it can necessarily keep its DRL on while signaling. It all depends on how close the two light sources are. In the “Spacing To Turn Signal Lamps” section, FMVSS 108 states:Each DRL not optically combined with a turn signal lamp must be located on the vehicle so that the distance from its lighted edge to the optical center of the nearest turn signal lamp is not less than 100 mm...
Old 11-06-2017, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Wow shockhead you just gave me a headache.typical government gobbledygook.I've always been fascinated by how our regulators. US + Cda.have succeeded for so long in preventing us from having decent/safe lighting.Everytime I drive in europe I'm astounded by how much better their headlights are than ours, even in cheap little crapboxes.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I only drive in the US so what other countries do or don't doesn't mean much to me.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
I believe that there is a separate bulb for the LED. I'll check tomorrow and post here.
Bob, I ordered the LED bulb. I will attach the link, I hope this is the part that fixes the problem. https://www.audiusaparts.com/oem-par...Ni1kaWVzZWw%3D
Old 11-07-2017, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Inczes
Bob, I ordered the LED bulb. I will attach the link, I hope this is the part that fixes the problem. https://www.audiusaparts.com/oem-par...Ni1kaWVzZWw%3D
You should do fine, if indeed it's the module.

Hope the following helps............
Attached Thumbnails 2014 q5 DRL problem-drl-.jpg   2014 q5 DRL problem-drl-b.jpg  
Old 11-07-2017, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Bob, thank you for the nice instructions. You are a good man. I am looking forward to replacing this module, and I will update the thread with the outcome. Thanks again.

BTW: Where did you get these instruction? Is this something that I can purchase?
Old 11-08-2017, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts

Bob, thank you for the nice instructions. You are a good man. I am looking forward to replacing this module, and I will update the thread with the outcome. Thanks again.

BTW: Where did you get these instruction? Is this something that I can purchase?
It's called Elsawin, Google is your friend.................
Old 11-20-2017, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The left side DRL on a 2014 Q5 is not working. I changed out the controller card on the headlight and it still does not work. Any other suggestions?
The DRL problem on a 2013-2015 AUDI Q5 is fixed. I purchased the following part 8R0941475B Led light Ballast for Audi Q5 and replaced it and now the DRL is functioning properly. Replacing this part was not an easy task, I had to do most of the work through the wheel bay. I bought the part from https://parts.audiusa.com/. the cost was roughly 200 USD. This is still better than 600 USD at the dealer. Please let me know if you have questions on the repair procedures. I am planning on type up the repair procedure and reply to this thread. I hope this will help somebody.

-Szilard
Old 11-13-2018, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you for the information Inczes, I have a 2014 Audi Q5 with the right daytime Running light not functioning. I have purchased and installed part "Power module DRL $616.09 Part # 4G0907697D" and this didn't correct the problem. The dealer has 8R0941476B at a price of $652.00. apparently I chose poorly. Im trying not to remove the bumper as I worry I could do some body damage. You say you did most of the work through the wheel bay, I have a few questions for you.
How can I determine which part is faulty.
Can it be a connection problem and how to diagnose it.
What and how did you have to move for wheel access.
Should I remove the bumper and swap the LED with heat dink to determine if this is in fact the problem.

Quick Reply: 2014 q5 DRL problem