Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2015 Q5 Audi Connect Carrier?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
I just look at my AT&T account and in one month my Audi used between 250 and 500mb. Hope that helps.
It definitely does, really appreciate it! I think I will probably get 6GB for my phone, iPad and q5... It sucks that at&t doesn't have anything in between 3 and 6 GB
Old 05-12-2015, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MightyOwl
I only have an iPad mini and i don't think they share the same type of sim...

As DennisMitchell mentioned it might be a long process to get a card for my Q5, but for the sake of AT&T's 3G coverage, I'm willing to do whatever it takes
I am not sure about iPad mini. Apple has versions with and without cell data service. Samsung tablets include electronics for cell data coverage.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:19 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
I am not sure about iPad mini. Apple has versions with and without cell data service. Samsung tablets include electronics for cell data coverage.
The only iPad that uses the original sim card size like our cars is the original 1st gen iPad.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What settings did you have to change on the car to get this updated? Did you use Audi Connect online to do anything once switching to AT&T Sim? Did you notice any improvements?
Old 05-12-2015, 10:47 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by siren001
What settings did you have to change on the car to get this updated? Did you use Audi Connect online to do anything once switching to AT&T Sim? Did you notice any improvements?
I didnt need to change any settings. I popped in the sim and it lit right up! Other threads talked about needing to change apn settings. I did not have to do this.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
The only iPad that uses the original sim card size like our cars is the original 1st gen iPad.
There are SIM adapters that allow a smaller SIM be put in a larger SIM socket.

For example:
Amazon.com: MediaDevil Simdevil 3-in-1 SIM card adapter kit (Nano / Micro / Standard): Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: MediaDevil Simdevil 3-in-1 SIM card adapter kit (Nano / Micro / Standard): Cell Phones & Accessories
Old 05-13-2015, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by centralFL
I don't have any personal experience, BUT, I was reading some other threads about buying "off brand" data cards as cheaply as $10 for 5gb of data that are good for 2 months before expiring. How much you'll typically use could be Googled, I imagine. But if you're using minimal versus being a "power user", these discount cards may work well for you. Many are 3g but a few are 4g. Good luck.

Found the thread. Truphone.com sell sim cards and service globally. Their USA rate is $.09 per mb. It's $29.99 for the sim card with $15 credit on it. You can buy credit as low as $15 increments or do auto refill. I'm under the impression that the credits don't expire after 30 days. If you're an occasional user, this should be a fair cost.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I use Truphone. Couldn't be easier. Just plug it in and go. Credit never expires and cost is pennies if you only use for online destinations and google searches. Much cheaper than any monthly plan (even if you just use a $10 add-on to an existing cell service plan). I probably spend $1 a month.

Only exception is google earth maps - that will chew through MBs quickly and therefore be costly if paying per MB. Also wifi hotspot of course.

But for general use, Truphone is excellent.

db
Old 05-13-2015, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MightyOwl
It definitely does, really appreciate it! I think I will probably get 6GB for my phone, iPad and q5... It sucks that at&t doesn't have anything in between 3 and 6 GB
They don't formally, but it's $15 for each GB over 3GB, so you can effectively get a 4GB plan for $15 more. Of course, 5GB costs the same as 6GB (+$30 over 3GB) all figures last I checked in March.

Plus, with the data rollover, you may be able to smooth out variability in use a little bit over time
Old 05-13-2015, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Equipment that is doing DATA uses different 3G bands on AT&T and T-Mob, as I understand it. So you can cross carriers in that situation but then the data drops to 2G, which may be plenty fast enough but AT&T is phasing out all 2G equipment support by 2017, they say.

So, unless the Audi equipment is most unusually flexible about bands and carriers, you might want to confirm that your system will be using 4G-LTE (which I believe, both carriers support on a number of common bands in the continental US) or at least confirm exactly which bands the Audi equipment supports, and that AT&T will actually be supporting them.

There is a man behind the curtain, who must not be ignored.

Quick Reply: 2015 Q5 Audi Connect Carrier?