Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2015 SQ5 Steering creaking noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2015 SQ5 Steering creaking noise

Hi guys,

Just came home from a ride with some traffic.

AC was running, sometimes I was driving it hard (acceleration)...

Anyway, after a hard acceleration, I felt a little grind in the steering wheel, I shut the music and AC to listen carefully. I could hear a creaking noise between me and the engine bay.

I stop at local store, popped the hood and tried to figure where it was coming from during a wheel turn. It looks like it's coming from the steering column shaft. You actually can see the shaft just up the pedals. It seems like the rubber there (it was hot) is creating that noise....annoying.

I'll talk to my dealer about it at service.

Anyone experienced this ?
Old 08-20-2014, 08:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just at my Audi dealership for a "new owner workshop", (leased a 2015 SQ5 one month ago) and the tech mentioned there is a bushing or rubber seal that can be tight on the steering column. There is a technical brief about this that the dealers have. They need to apply some grease or similar lubricant.

Enjoy the car, its AWSOME!!!
Old 08-21-2014, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by btpbailey
I was just at my Audi dealership for a "new owner workshop", (leased a 2015 SQ5 one month ago) and the tech mentioned there is a bushing or rubber seal that can be tight on the steering column. There is a technical brief about this that the dealers have. They need to apply some grease or similar lubricant.

Enjoy the car, its AWSOME!!!
Thank you very much for your answer.

Once the car was cooler (2 hours later) the noise was gone.
So nothing to worry about but I'll let them know about this brief.

Thank again,

Last edited by Chuck2006; 08-23-2014 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So far, I still find the best fix for those strange noises to be the B&O system.
It's noise cancelling features are superb!
Old 08-22-2014, 12:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Dont forget the "fun pedal". Makes a beautiful sound as well :-)
Old 08-22-2014, 02:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

oh yes....the "fun pedal" could also be known as the "get a ticket pedal" but heck...its all fun
Old 08-23-2014, 07:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi Chuck, I had created a thread a while back about steering noises that came up for me after driving for about 30 miles or less under hard acceleration. I took it to the dealers, they replaced my steering column. The noise came back after a while and I went back to the dealers and they said Audi issued a TSB on it and said that it was normal and would go away with more driving.

Indeed, with more driving, the noise went away. Then my 5K service came and they told me about the software update for the steering. I said no because I knew if they did the software update, somehow, the zipping noise would come back. But they said if I didn't do it, then future problems might not be covered under the warranty for steering issues. And before you knew it, the noise came back, worse than before. 2 weeks ago, I did a lot of driving and the squeaking noise got real bad. I could feel the heat radiating from the steering column and onto my knees as I was driving. Also, the front of my engine, that is, the hood area right around the headlights get extremely hot to the touch. And now, my A/C has completely stopped working. I have heat and regular fan, which also gets hotter with more driving, and no cool air at all. Not sure if this has anything to do with it but I've gone back to Audi multiple multiple times to check the issue out.

Exactly like you, if you shut the car off and come back 2 hours later, the steering noise is gone. But once I drive it another 30 miles, it comes back. I have posted a few videos in the below thread of the steering noise and if you would please have a look and see if you are hearing the same noise as I am that would be great. Thanks very much

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...te%5D-2851673/
Old 08-23-2014, 07:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

sorry here is the actual video. you can hear the squeaking noise clearly
Old 08-23-2014, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hi there vint, it is exactly the same noise. It seems to be coming from the rubber joint of the steering column.

You got me worried now...that it could be more complicated.

Got a 2015, so the steering update should be integrated in this built though.

So far, didn't hear it again, but I didn't go for a long ride, nor did I drove it hard...

Should I contact the dealer right now or wait for the 1st service ? Probably gonna be before winter in October/November.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Chuck2006
Hi there vint, it is exactly the same noise. It seems to be coming from the rubber joint of the steering column.

You got me worried now...that it could be more complicated.

Got a 2015, so the steering update should be integrated in this built though.

So far, didn't hear it again, but I didn't go for a long ride, nor did I drove it hard...

Should I contact the dealer right now or wait for the 1st service ? Probably gonna be before winter in October/November.
wow I guess they haven't gotten it straightened out in 2 years. You should definitely bring it up in my opinion. However, it is a little difficult to reproduce if you do not drive a long way to the dealership. My dealership was 30 miles away and by the time I got there, I had driven enough for the squeaking noise to come up so they did not need to replicate it as they could feel the steering wheel's zip noises. However, if your car is behaving the same way my car is, which may or may not be the case, the more you drive it, the shorter the distance gets before the noise comes up. It may take 50 miles the first time but the next time you drive it, the noise may come at 30 miles and so forth.

I do suggest that you check you your hood area and feel it and see if it's hot to the touch when you are experiencing these squeaking noises on your steering wheel. Good luck and hopefully you can find a fix for this that I am currently still looking for.

Quick Reply: 2015 SQ5 Steering creaking noise