Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2016 SQ5 oil change

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2016 SQ5 oil change

So we got the firs tone done at the dealer, when talking to them I got a list of the service work for the next 75k miles or so. I was asking them about some stuff on the 15k as I will do it myself and the dealer said while I can do it they will have to turn the service reminder off at a cost of $60...!!!

Other than that sticker shock I was planning on doing the oil change old school style, jack the SQ5 up and remove the drain plug and drain the oil. Put plug back in and fill with oil. Service writer and tech said that is not how they change the oil, they suck it out as they said it is easy to strip the oil drain plug.

Anyone on here change their own oil on the SQ5, is sucking the oil out the dipstick tube the preferred way?
Old 02-21-2016, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not on the SQ5, but I've done oil changes via extraction on my 530i and wife's prior C300 for years. It works great, although once in a while it is a good idea to get under the car and see what's going on there.

FYI, stripping of the oil drain plug sounds like a bogus excuse. The fact of the matter is that's is quicker for them to do it with an extractor from the top.

Also, if you're planning on keeping the car for a while, get your self a VCDS and reset the reminder yourself. I don't remember if Carista app can do it yet or not... If so, then that would be even cheaper.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah Carista said they can do it now, I got setup as a beta user for them so I will be trying it down the road. I would love to get the VCDS but I don't know of any people locally that have it that can help me with the learning curve.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:39 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Having the filter on the top of the 3.0T makes it possibly worthwhile to do the extraction method. I did it for over 60k miles on my S4 and on my SQ5. No problems...very nice and quick. Can almost do it in my work clothes. I always dread thinking about the S6 change having to crawl underneath and remove the panel.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a beta tester and was able to reset the SRI. I also just use a extractor to suck the oil out. The first time I used the extractor I pulled the plug just to see if any more oil would come out and it did not. Using the extractor it takes about ten minutes for a oil change.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

VCDS is worth the cost. People sell it used for about the same price as a new cable. I recently sold my hex-can cable and purchased the hex-net. I bought an extractor from ToolTopia.com and let my son drain the oil while I change the filter.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the info, once we get into the new house in the coming weeks my plan is to get after the SQ5 on some projects. One is to change out the front brake pads to one that doesn't dust as bad, the other is to get the H&R lowering springs and drop it down some.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have used the extractor for about 25...

... oil changes so far on my Q5, S5 (2), S4, RS5, A6, Jetta 1.8, Jetta 2.5, plus a slew of friends' cars. It has worked great and my results from from the oil lab suggest that the system is working well.

I got my extractor from Griots. It comes with different sized tubes so that you can maximize the efficiency of the withdraw.

I still do a few from the bottom if they have complicated oil pans such as our Honda Pilot. Of course, dry sump systems cannot be done that way and often have multiple drain points.

Good luck - I do my oil every 5K.

Eric
Old 04-28-2016, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TJay74
So we got the firs tone done at the dealer, when talking to them I got a list of the service work for the next 75k miles or so. I was asking them about some stuff on the 15k as I will do it myself and the dealer said while I can do it they will have to turn the service reminder off at a cost of $60...!!!

Other than that sticker shock I was planning on doing the oil change old school style, jack the SQ5 up and remove the drain plug and drain the oil. Put plug back in and fill with oil. Service writer and tech said that is not how they change the oil, they suck it out as they said it is easy to strip the oil drain plug.

Anyone on here change their own oil on the SQ5, is sucking the oil out the dipstick tube the preferred way?
Hey All. I'm new to my SQ5 but I like to do things myself. Is the service reminder oil change specific? I think I remember reading in the owner's manual you can reset it via the MMI.

Also curious to know if doing the service intervals ourselves impacts the warranty at all? Do you just save oil/oil filter receipts if an issue ever comes up?

Thanks for your help!