Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

3.0 Engine Dead - Sell or Repair?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2021, 08:05 PM
Q5Q
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3.0 Engine Dead - Sell or Repair?

My 2013 Q5 3.0 was having misfire codes for cylinder 4, 5 & 6. Sent it to a shop to check the issue. I was told there's no compression in cylinder 6 and the engine needs replacement. They quoted me for around $10k.

Need some advice on whether I should repair or sell.

Repair: The cost of the used engine in the quote was really high. If I want to find a cheaper alternative, where is a good place to check? ebay? Is it not common to rebuild Audi engines? The few people I talked only mentioned engine replacement, not rebuild.

Sell: Not sure how much I would get if I sell it as is. Where is a good place to sell to get a better price?

Really don't know what to do. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
The following users liked this post:
JnTShow (02-28-2022)
Old 11-17-2021, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Cheapest option would be to buy a used engine from a wreck and have it dropped in. I would have 2 other shops give you quotes, when you call them be up front and say you think it needs a new engine and if that is a job they are willing to do. This shop could be quoting you the "we don't want to do it" price.

Check car-parts.com, its a search engine for scrap yards in NA. I am not sure where you are located, the cheapest I saw was 2500 USD for a 3.0T out of a 2013 complete, has 79k miles/127k kms Assuming your supercharger is still good you could save some money or sell you old one to recoup some cost.

Repair would be the most expensive option from the information you gave. if another shop can tell you why there is no compression on cylinder 6 then you can make a better decision on the repair.

To get max value out of selling you would need to part it out bit by bit. if not you might get a few grand depending on the rest of the car.

Last edited by Warhead; 11-17-2021 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-25-2022, 09:33 PM
Q5Q
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Warhead
Cheapest option would be to buy a used engine from a wreck and have it dropped in. I would have 2 other shops give you quotes, when you call them be up front and say you think it needs a new engine and if that is a job they are willing to do. This shop could be quoting you the "we don't want to do it" price.

Check car-parts.com, its a search engine for scrap yards in NA. I am not sure where you are located, the cheapest I saw was 2500 USD for a 3.0T out of a 2013 complete, has 79k miles/127k kms Assuming your supercharger is still good you could save some money or sell you old one to recoup some cost.

Repair would be the most expensive option from the information you gave. if another shop can tell you why there is no compression on cylinder 6 then you can make a better decision on the repair.

To get max value out of selling you would need to part it out bit by bit. if not you might get a few grand depending on the rest of the car.
Thanks for the advice. I will see if another shop can tell me why is there no compression, then check car-part.com to find a replacement engine if it indeed needs an engine replacement.
Old 02-28-2022, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What did you end up doing? I am in the same boat....a 2012 Q5 premium plus, 80k needs new engine....quoted same from Audi. I don't need the car and not worth fixing....do I part it out???
Old 03-01-2022, 05:40 PM
Q5Q
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JnTShow
What did you end up doing? I am in the same boat....a 2012 Q5 premium plus, 80k needs new engine....quoted same from Audi. I don't need the car and not worth fixing....do I part it out???
I sent the car to another indy shop for a second opinion. Waiting for second shop's findings to see if it indeed needs a new engine.

Do you know what the issue is in your engine? Might be a good idea to see how much to repair instead of replacing engine if you know the issue. With the current inflated car prices, it might be worthwhile to do the repair and sell it instead of parting out.