Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

about tire pressure sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default about tire pressure sensor

ytd when i went to the tire store to order 17' wheel+winter tire package, i was noticed that possibly there'll be a tire pressure problem(actually it's not a problem)showing on the driving panel due to the sensor detecting there're not originally factory winter equipments. anyone has encountered this similar problem??
Old 10-04-2009, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

sorry, my laptop display isn't big enough for that font size so I can't read your post
Old 10-04-2009, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Luckily the problem is not as big as your font. Go into the car MMI and select tire pressure monitoring and then do "store current". This will store the current tire pressure and alert you when the pressure drops from this point in the future.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This issue depends on the year of your Q5. 2009s have telemetric sensors integrated to the valve stems that transmit the tire pressure to the computer. If you were to purchase aftermarket wheels for the '09 you would have to purchase additional sensors or disable the system. However on 2010s, and presumably future versions, the TPMS is computed by the same system that monitors the ABS so there are no integrated pressure sensors.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by AudiCO
This issue depends on the year of your Q5. 2009s have telemetric sensors integrated to the valve stems that transmit the tire pressure to the computer. If you were to purchase aftermarket wheels for the '09 you would have to purchase additional sensors or disable the system. However on 2010s, and presumably future versions, the TPMS is computed by the same system that monitors the ABS so there are no integrated pressure sensors.
actually im planning to purchase aftermarket snow tires plus wheels package for my new 10' Q5 which is still under delivery to Ontario. Hence, like what you said, mine won't contain the integrated pressure sensors so there'll not be any alert signals appearing in the panel after changing the snow equipments??
btw, thx for yr answer!
Old 10-04-2009, 10:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by tgdA4
Luckily the problem is not as big as your font. Go into the car MMI and select tire pressure monitoring and then do "store current". This will store the current tire pressure and alert you when the pressure drops from this point in the future.
haha, you're so funny,man! My sales representative told me that the MMI system will be a bit more complicated than ever b4. lol. is it true?
Old 10-04-2009, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you make the switch, check the pressure of each tire using an accurate gauge after they're on the vehicle (while cold). Make sure they're all even and to spec, then reset the TPMS through the MMI, as previously stated. You shouldn't get any error messages and no additional electronics to buy.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ben_xmax
haha, you're so funny,man! My sales representative told me that the MMI system will be a bit more complicated than ever b4. lol. is it true?
Takes a day or 2 to get used to, but overall it's pretty easy.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

You don't need sensors in the wheels any longer with the new system. I believe Euro and Canadian Q5's always had this system, 2009 US Q5s had the valve-stem sensor system.

From Audi's press release -

"The standard-fit second-generation tire pressure monitoring display is a very clever system. A software-only concept, it does not require any wheel-mounted components. By monitoring the tires' vibration it detects a rapid loss of pressure in the event of tire failure and also senses which wheel is affected.
The system also notices if all four tires are slowly losing air at an equal rate – this effect, which is caused by diffusion, may amount to up to 0.1 bar per month. The tire pressure monitoring display requires no servicing or consumables such as new batteries."
Old 10-05-2009, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Nice post and much more polite than I would have done - Usually on these types of posting I just say RTFM!

Quick Reply: about tire pressure sensor