Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
View Poll Results: Does your Q5 exhibit abrupt shift from 1st to 2nd gear when you first start driving?
I have a Q5 3.0T and I HAVE this issue
16.67%
I have a Q5 3.0TDI and I HAVE this issue
14.44%
I have a Q5 2.0T and I HAVE this issue
23.33%
I have an SQ5 and I HAVE this issue
14.44%
I have a Q5 3.0T and I DO NOT have this issue
11.11%
I have a Q5 3.0TDI and I DO NOT have this issue
8.89%
I have a Q5 2.0T and I DO NOT have this issue
7.78%
I have an SQ5 and I DO NOT have this issue
5.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Abrupt shift from 1st to 2nd gear on a cold engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 06:45 PM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Had it before fix. Gone after fix.

I had the abrupt 1-2 upshift while cold, noted it at service time, told it was 'normal' Tregs have same issues too. Had the emission fix 4 weeks ago and have not had any 1-2 upshift abruptly since.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:56 PM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Speculate please

Do any here think a decent indie mechanic, German car speciaist, know of this throttle adaption procedure??
Old 02-15-2018, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
Throttle Body Alignment (TBA) on many VW/Audi vehicles. This procedure cycles the motorized throttle body through various states (idle, part throttle, WOT) to relearn their positions

Using VCDS on your 2014 Q5.............

Drive-by-Wire (DBW) Engines using KWP-2000 or CAN (These are engines WITHOUT a physical cable between the accelerator and the throttle. Check to see if the engine speaks KWP-2000 or CAN by looking in the top left of the Open Controller Screen. An example of a KWP-2000 engine controller is the 2002+ B6 Audi A4 1.8T. Some examples of CAN engine controllers are the Mk5 Golf 2.0T FSI)

Turn the key on but do not start the car.
  • [Select]
  • [01 - Engine]
  • [Basic Settings - 04]
  • Group 060
  • [Go!]
It should say "Basic Settings: OFF" on the top of your screen.
  • Click [ON/OFF/Next] to turn on Basic Settings.
It should now say "Basic Settings: ON" on the top of your screen. Once you do this you will see the top right display say ADP RUN. The TB adaptation is being done as soon as you switched basic settings on. You will see the values change and hear the TB cycle for the first few seconds then it will stop. Leave it in Basic Settings for about 30 seconds.
  • Click [[b]ON/OFF/Next] to turn off Basic Settings.
It should now say "Basic Settings: OFF" on the top of your screen
  • Click the [Done, Go Back] button and you're all set.
Be sure not to touch the accelerator and make sure the engine is NOT running when you do this!

My prefacelift Q5 2009 has the following option instead of the above: test of throttle valve adaptation. Different but worth noting. Tried it today to see if any different.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abrupt shift

I have the exact same issue with my 2013 Q5, 2.0. (48k miles) First shift of the morning out of 1st seems abrupt then it goes away.
Doesn't appear again unless car has been sitting several hours.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Try putting it in Sport mode instead of Drive mode, right out of Park, and see if that first shift doesn't settle right down.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Allready read al lot about the several DSG problems, poor shifting strategy, under revving, sports mode is **** etc.
I think a DSG Software tune will solve a lot of the problems and just boosts the durability.
But when you have done like 60k miles it's to late, the software has to be there at 0KM.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a 2009 TDI 3.0 and it has this same issue. I'm in Australia and its never really that cold here but still does it for the first 5 minutes of driving. Will try the S mode.

I have noticed it seems to slow at changing from 1st to 2nd... almost like its revving a little in between the gear change. Thus causing the judder when it engages the next gear.

What needs to be reset in the VCDS to help the issue? My gearbox oil was replaced 15000 kms ago. (Previous owner)... Now i know why the car was always running warm on test drives pre purchase!
Old 03-28-2019, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

There's a reason that Rolls Royce used to use GM (Delco) automatic transmissions. Every company has their own designs, patents, choice of logic partly restricted by the mechanical systems. A 2009 diesel and a 2014 petrol engine are going to have different transmissions...but whatever makes the "1-2-1?2?" shift choices, may be something intrinsic to the entire family of transmissions.

I had a five speed with what every review called an "odd gearing" when it was new. Except, it was built that way on purpose for particular purposes (world rally circuit) and it allowed the engine to make some extreme pulls gracefully, even if it made for some odd shift points in plain around-town traffic. And it sometimes left me looking for sixth gear, because five didn't always feel like enough.(G) Intentional design choice, that customers would never have reason to know about, in general.

A friend of mine had an old diesel Mercedes, maybe a 180? Front seats felt like club chairs, and the transmission had some problems. But get that car into 2nd gear, and it could live there practically all day, didn't really need 1st at all. Design choices.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Redd I'll agree with you re the good old GM autoboxes, best ever made.
But the ZF8 is a remarkably robust transmission.I suspect that most the issues are "software" related and for some people it's a big issue.
Fortunately my 14 Tdi tranny is wonderful and that coming from a manual only guy.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'd agree that overall the new computer-shifted trannies are a marvel, my only complaint is that they don't have the ability to "get ready, we're gonna nail it" the same way you could in a stick. I spent many years mainly mastering the art of patience on the road (ignore the dead bodies in the wheel wells) and it actually took me 25 years to discover the car really DID have a rev limiter...I did a WOT 4->2 downshift and the lady screamed and bucked like a bull, as the rpm's kicked up to redline, the computer killed the ignition, the rpm went down, ignition turned on again, redlined again, bucked again....Weeee! Who'd a thought?

But a 5->3 (which is what I had thought I was doing) kicks in harder than tromping the gas pedal on these things does. Either I've got to cut 1000# out of the body, or find the switch for launch mode, huh?

For those rare few days...

Quick Reply: Abrupt shift from 1st to 2nd gear on a cold engine?