Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Advice needed: Worth waiting for TDI settlement?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacific Fisher
Hard to say how much the Rodent lawyers at Audi will eat off the bottom of the settlement at his point.
And it's not off the settlement. It is in addition to settlement.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not sure there will be one

If you look at the Audi diesel information page they are suggesting that they are pursuing a technical fix rather than a buy back. I don't want a technical fix from Audi and would much rather get a buy back done asap.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ElusiveOne
If you look at the Audi diesel information page they are suggesting that they are pursuing a technical fix rather than a buy back. I don't want a technical fix from Audi and would much rather get a buy back done asap.
That's what they said about the 2.0L as well. We will see. I intend to sue VW/Audi for lost value is there isn't a settlement, and thousands other will as well.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
That's what they said about the 2.0L as well. We will see. I intend to sue VW/Audi for lost value is there isn't a settlement, and thousands other will as well.
They could offer a settlement on lost value but still not buyback the cars. If that is the case, I am with you and will pursue legal action. I want them to buy back my car and include some additional cash for restitution for defrauding me.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone. I'm glad to know I'm not alone in this boat.
I just noticed that BMW diesels have been approved for sale after extra scrutiny by the EPA, so I'm now considering a 328d wagon or a 535d as options. It's been a long time since I drove a BMW, my last one (07 335i coupe) was such a lemon it completely turned me off from them, but I suppose they're worth a look. I'm eager to hear what, if anything, comes from this next hearing. Enough already...
Old 08-19-2016, 05:03 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

We are just as involved in this as the 2.0L vehicles. Let's not forget that the the deception allegedly originally started with the 3.0 engine. They have to deal with the 2.0 engines first as they are numerous and it's what originally started the investigation. Handling 85K 3.0's when the picture wasn't clear on them to begin with when the cheat on the 500K 2.0's was found first and verified would be putting the cart before the horse a little. Once the 2.0 settlement and fix (if any) are finalized, it will just become case law at that point for the more expensive vehicles. A buyback *should* be imminent on reason of deception alone. Be patient. We will get our day to be heard.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

I simply am not having any stress with owning my my2015 TDI. Had I not known of the scandal I would be as I am now, truly loving this vehicle. I had planned on keeping this vehicle for 5 yrs anyway. I am not so sure I would entertain a buyback unless the fix would degrade the performance and reliability. Makes sense that it would, but I need to proceed with due diligence on this and not throw the baby out with the bath water. I am not sure what I would replace it with. The BMW X5 diesel seems like a good replacement but I have friends who have owned this vehicle in the past and had bad experiences. They actually steered me to AUDI. I have no interest in a gasoline Q5 either. My biggest concern now is what do I do with the $500 dealer card. I have until December to decide on how to use that, depending on the outcome of the settlement.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gojones
I simply am not having any stress with owning my my2015 TDI. Had I not known of the scandal I would be as I am now, truly loving this vehicle. I had planned on keeping this vehicle for 5 yrs anyway. I am not so sure I would entertain a buyback unless the fix would degrade the performance and reliability. Makes sense that it would, but I need to proceed with due diligence on this and not throw the baby out with the bath water. I am not sure what I would replace it with. The BMW X5 diesel seems like a good replacement but I have friends who have owned this vehicle in the past and had bad experiences. They actually steered me to AUDI. I have no interest in a gasoline Q5 either. My biggest concern now is what do I do with the $500 dealer card. I have until December to decide on how to use that, depending on the outcome of the settlement.
My sentiments exactly. Re: the $500 dealer card, I used some of it towards putting new tires on my A6 at my last service (bought tires from Tire Rack hen paid dealer to install them). Worst case, and pending resolution with the 3.0s, figure I'd use the balance towards buying Audicare Plus for my next 2 services (55k and 65k) since I'll probably only be at 50k in Jan. when the card expires.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
Originally Posted by ElusiveOne
They could offer a settlement on lost value but still not buyback the cars. If that is the case, I am with you and will pursue legal action. I want them to buy back my car and include some additional cash for restitution for defrauding me.
See:

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...-diesel-payout

Porsche Owners In The US Plan To Sue Volkswagen In Demand For Dieselgate Compensation Package : Auto News : Auto World News

Don't like how us V6 TDI owners are treated? Think they will get their way with no buyback or too little compensation for V6 TDI owners?

I will soon be talking directly with founder and (VW) lead attorney at Motleyrice LLC. I understand Porsche owners are actively talking to this firm.

Please post technical information to assist with discussion. Technical information can be factual, for example: durability or lack of durability, for engine, drive train, exhaust system, etc. Like premature DPF failure, EGR complications (clogged pipes, valve issues, damaged swirl flaps ...), unresolved permanent DTCs, ... Real-world examples especially wanted. Do an image search on "EGR clogging".

I would also be interested in engineering thoughts / suspicions. Example, why shut off exhaust treatment components and / or revert engine parameters to, "no emissions reductions" after I/M inspection completion. Can't be just to save some DEF Adblue or reduce driver inconvenience thereof. Did they figure approaching near continuous DPS regeneration will wear everything out or cost too much in repairs?

Admission of guilt regarding harmful emissions reduction begs the question, "What else are they hiding?" Why is "exhaust system" NOT covered under extended warranty? Anybody have a problem with that? After admission of guilt, can we trust the repair? Will the fix negatively effect other drive train components and would this be a good reason to cheat?

I think this all boils down to component(s) durability, leading to after sale warranty expenses, reputation, reduced profits, lost money. Please, we all know we've lost residual and resale values, and we're angry about that. Not looking for "I'm angry too." Rather, what business strategy really dictated the (cheating) behavior?

Where else can a post like this go?
Old 08-30-2016, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just got off the phone with my service advisor. The car is being eaten apart by squirrels (wiring, insulation and the serpentine belt). I mentioned that I'm trading it soon, but she immediately said "don't trade it yet- I think we are going to be hearing something about the settlement very soon, and I would absolutely say wait until that's announced"
I've worked with her for years, she's very knowledgeable, and I'm hoping she knows something we don't! I'm sick of being in limbo- can't wait for the 11/3 hearing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't that be the anniversary of the 3.0 being dragged into this mess?

Quick Reply: Advice needed: Worth waiting for TDI settlement?