Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Air quality sensor retrofit possibility

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 11:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Project Consisted:
Research
Air Quality Sensor + Harness
2 HVAC 3 Zone facelift and prefacelift. Ended up using B8 HVAC because it is 100% compatible.
Firmware upgrade of HVAC to 0182 (only for prefacelift, facelift HVAC has firmware 0122 as latest)
Component Protection Removal

The only problem is that I cannot perform basic setting 1 but I can perform basic setting 3 with engine on. All working after performing basic setting 03 tests (otherwise a/c and recirculation do not function). With air quality sensor retrofitted and component protection removed, we have remaining 10 errors only from missing components. However HVAC is 100% functional including A/C, recirculation, heater and air quality sensor.

Project Successful. Air Quality Sensor Working, Goal achieved. Note HVAC screen does not light up, rotary controls dont light up unless you remove CP. Wish I could also perform basic setting 01 but I guess this is the downside of not retrofitting fully the 3Z package.

How to perform the basic setting 03 - Trick
1. Engine on
2. Dont stop test after message performed, just press close otherwise you will still get the following error:

03023 - Running-in Requirement
005 - No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation

Apart from the Air Quality Sensor which was the initial target at the end I ended up upgrading the HVAC to 3 Zone which looks amazing. I guess this was a bonus, but again I had to bear the extra cost of the facelift HVAC which I ended up not using. Again a 10/10 recommended upgrade, with a 6/10 difficulty due to the Air Quality Sensor retrofit. HVAC removal and installation is easy. Prerequisites VCDs or VCP for coding and adaptation (VCDs has description for HVAC), VCP for firmware upgrade, for CP removal a dealer visit.

CONCLUSION: To retrofit Air Quality Sensor you also need to retrofit the HVAC 3 zone from the same generation.
Better Compatibility Retrofit Way as discussed (without radio compatibility errors, channel 73 facelift adaptation channel not available on B8.5)
1. 1 Zone HVAC from B8 with 3 Zone HVAC from B8
2. 1 Zone HVAC from B8.5 with 3 Zone HVAC from B8.5.

Note:
10 Remaining non functional errors from hardware parts not fitted.

Another Successful Project at AudiWorld .

Last edited by apoelistas; 12-10-2018 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HVAC trtrofit

Congrats, great job! Thanks for the write up and the clips!
One question though, how did you upgrade the firmware - with what tool?
Thank you in advance!
Old 12-02-2018, 11:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mgbyte
Congrats, great job! Thanks for the write up and the clips!
One question though, how did you upgrade the firmware - with what tool?
Thank you in advance!
Thanks. You are welcome
I am also enthusiastic of this retrofit . Looks great. I really wanted this retrofit to succeed, since I really wanted the air quality sensor to work. It was my last chance. Note firmware update I is also available for both prefacelift B8 HVAC and facelift B8.5 HVAC.

1 Zone and 3 Zone firmwares exist. For facelift HVAC B8.5 mine comes with firmware 0122 however checking just now latest is 0123. For prefacelift HVAC B8 mine came with firmware 0180 and latest is 0182 (already updated)

So B8 and B8.5 HVAC climatronic firmwares are different, also you can deduce this from the buttons. They are placed / positioned differently which means different firmwares and different hardware/PCB.

VCP (Vag Can Pro). First photo is of my diagnostic, second photo of their program. (Added k-line a week later). Third photo is of my original 3vin VCDs (since I dont have a garage I dont need too pay license fees for 10vin or unrestricted use). Note for CP removal none of the 2 diagnostics have this capability. For that you need to visit an authorised VAG odis-S online access service provider garage/audi dealer, or have an original vas5054a diagnostic and purchase services online using teamviewer. Usually price from third party is between 40 dollars to 50 pounds. I will not post a photo of my original Vas5054a since clone looks the same (externally).

Last edited by apoelistas; 05-20-2019 at 04:25 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Last step which was just discovered. There is a new AC option in car menu options.
When selected there is a new option, auto recirculation. I have just seen this option (while checking my oil level). It was disabled. Now AQS should work otherwise it does not. I was fumed badly some days ago. Both auto and A/C have to be selected otherwise auto re-circulation dont believe it functions.

Last edited by apoelistas; 12-22-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Decided to take this retrofit one step forward: Rear Vent/Console Retrofit for upgrading 1 zone HVAC to 2 Zone HVAC (My HVAC is 3 zone but pipeline is of 1 zone)
Rear Q5 Vent Console materials received for the upgrade:

Arrived in a good new state as one unit the following:

8K0864376 tray (ash tray)
8K0819203E or J Vent
8R0864376B Console
8E0919309 + 8K0919343 12V Socket (oops another harness to retrofit)

other parts.
8r0857042B adaptor to vent
8r0857039A pipe system
Airguide 8k0819513E

Last edited by apoelistas; 06-11-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

I'm still wondering why your Q5 didn't come with this from factory, Cyprus must be a torrid place in the summer, glad you are doing this, it's a must for the kids (or whoever you sit back there). Good luck!
Old 05-29-2019, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by uncleiggy
I'm still wondering why your Q5 didn't come with this from factory, Cyprus must be a torrid place in the summer, glad you are doing this, it's a must for the kids (or whoever you sit back there). Good luck!
Thanks.

Yes I agree, it should have been a standard fitting bearing in mind the hot 39-43 oC summer climate. (Today it has reached 39 here in Nicosia) My Kids are complaining more as they grow older.

Not a usual audi retrofit, just read about just one audi owner saying he has fully upgraded HVAC 1 Zone to 3 Zone but without documentation.

Hope I manage to gather the required info/knowledge needed for the successful retrofit.

Last edited by apoelistas; 05-29-2019 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by apoelistas
Thanks.

Yes I agree, it should have been a standard fitting bearing in mind the hot 39-43 oC summer climate. My 3 Kids are complaining more as they grow older.

Not a usual audi retrofit, just read about just one audi owner saying he has fully upgraded HVAC 1 Zone to 3 Zone but without documentation.

Hope I manage to gather the required info/knowledge needed for the successful retrofit.
I'm pretty sure you'll sort this out! BTW, our summer is not that hot, not at least in the south where I live, but 30-35C and 100% humidity are common in the summer, my Q5 came with the tropical zones package from factory (0Y2 Climatic zones: Tropical zones // 9AQ Heating and air-conditioning system: Air conditioning plus), and I don't think any luxury car sold here ever came without that option. Your kids will enjoy it big time!
Old 05-29-2019, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Happy to know that in certain regions 3 zone HVAC plus is standard. Our Authorities are not that strict or regulated on this aspect. research for parts is done and documented.

Will try to find the 12V socket electrical diagram.

....Update there is a harness called Car Cigarette Lighter Plug Cable Harness for VW, Audi

Tested and Compatible.

There is also a harness that connects to the vent. Will try to find that harness too.

Ordered illumination harness/connector too. Difficult to find part number. Got it from another forum. It seems the 1 zone to 2 zone modification was already done with some documentation.

Could only find 1 harness (wires are cut one side) available from second parts only. Then the german kit is double the price.
The lighting is standard and is grey/blue for power and brown for ground. You can tap them from the 12v socket.

Here are the pictures of the wiring. I am working without dealer parts information so this is taking more time than usual to get to information. Part number 3D0972708A.

Will try to find out where the other 3 wires connect to.

Left with red colour is pin1. Blue is pin 2 etc.

Last edited by apoelistas; 06-12-2019 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Updated information above.
It seems that I have still 2 parts to order and find the 3D0972708A pin diagram for pin 1 2 and 4 for the vent connector. Will also check pins 5 and 6 just to be sure.

Then the parts and electrical diagram will be complete and only retrofit work has to be carried out.

Anyone who has carried out the 1 zone to 2 zone retrofit please enter the discussion/ thread.

Is there a trick with this retrofit for a/c rear zone to work?? Interested to see if i get less HVAC 3 zone faults after this retrofit and if 1 zone can become 2 zone using the 3 zone HVAC upgrade.

All remainimg parts were ordered. Next up electrical pin diagram.

Last edited by apoelistas; 06-13-2019 at 12:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Air quality sensor retrofit possibility