Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Am I crazy to pay $24900 for '11 Q5

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 06:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I crazy to pay $24900 for '11 Q5

I'd like to apologize in advance if a similar question has been asked in the past. I have always been a VW guy and never cared much for the Audi even though they are the same family (owned).

My wife is in need of a car and we are planning to have a family in the near future and so we have been car shopping for months now and as of yet still shopping.

Currently we have looked at cx-5, cr-v, x1, and q5.

2011 4 cycl q5 -- we found a pre-owned (1 owner 2011 with 62K miles from a stealership for $24,9 and despite liking for the premium feel, we just couldn't get over the fact that it's out of warranty and we're not interested in purchasing add'l warranty after paying that much on a used car with that high miles.

2010 CR-V 4WD - we also have a 2010 certified pre-owned that we are negotiating for $18,6 but we are not definite on it due to some road noise concerns. We know it is a great car w/probably 1/3 the maintenance of the q5 and it comes with 7yr/100K bumper and powertrain.

Wife likes both cars but my biggest concerns on the q5 are:

1. For those of you who have owned the q5 for a while, how's the fuel efficency on 4-cycl,
2. how much does the cost to do a brakes ..pads, oiling, fluid flush, etc

3. is it cost effective to drop $25K on such a high miles 2011 car knowing it doesn't offer any warranty whatsoever? and should we just close our eyes and shove the Cr-v in the garage and call it a day?

4. If you had to do it again, would you buy another q5? i'm not a fan of the MMI or NAV so I care less about it.

5. I am of the impression that 4 cycl engine (some) also have the oil consumption issue - I really thought it was only the 3.2 were affected.

--------------------
Other cars in the mix -- 2013 bmw x1 31K miles priced to $28,500 (offered stealership 26,500 from $31,300 and they gave cold shoulder)

2013 rdx - 33K miles $27K but this is not in the runner-up at all- wife doesn't like the beige interior.

2014 cx-5 -- The car is nice but the mileage is not as claimed but the side mirrors vibrate at hwy speeds. The hood also vibrates at hwy speed -- both of which the dealer claimed unaware of. CX-5 is around $24 for the Touring (cloth and none of the bells and whistles)

I'll definitely appreciate any inputs/suggestions since most of you guys are q5 fans. Please spare me as it's my first time here :-)
Old 05-30-2014, 08:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Anyone please?
Old 05-30-2014, 08:16 AM
TTG
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Where are you located?

Did you shop around for other Q5s?

What is your budget?

My personal input:

I will not buy a used German car that is out of warranty period!

There will be a significant difference in maintenance and repair costs between Audi and CRV. Audi being on the much higher side

If you like to keep your cars for a long time either buy a new Q5 and keep it or buy a Japanese used car.

A used Honda will be much more dependable and cheaper to repair than a used Q5 with high miles.

Some might disagree with me but that is what I would do.

GL

Last edited by TTG; 05-30-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 381 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by xirsteon

Currently we have looked at cx-5, cr-v, x1, and q5.

2011 4 cycl q5 -- we found a pre-owned (1 owner 2011 with 62K miles from a stealership for $24,9 and despite liking for the premium feel, we just couldn't get over the fact that it's out of warranty and we're not interested in purchasing add'l warranty after paying that much on a used car with that high miles.

I would not look at one of these unless it was CPO. Period.

2010 CR-V 4WD - we also have a 2010 certified pre-owned that we are negotiating for $18,6 but we are not definite on it due to some road noise concerns. We know it is a great car w/probably 1/3 the maintenance of the q5 and it comes with 7yr/100K bumper and powertrain.

If you're worried about your budget and future repair costs, don't purchase a European car. Purchase an Asian vehicle.

Wife likes both cars but my biggest concerns on the q5 are:

1. For those of you who have owned the q5 for a while, how's the fuel efficency on 4-cycl,

Audis are heavy vehicles. Fuel consumption is not a strong point except for the newest diesels. Look at Fuelly.com for much real-world data.

2. how much does the cost to do a brakes ..pads, oiling, fluid flush, etc

It costs a lot unless you're doing it yourself. It's not unusual to hear of $600 per axle for brakes.

3. is it cost effective to drop $25K on such a high miles 2011 car knowing it doesn't offer any warranty whatsoever?

No.

and should we just close our eyes and shove the Cr-v in the garage and call it a day?

Probably.

4. If you had to do it again, would you buy another q5?

Yes, we've had outstanding service from our Audis and will be repeat purchasers. That doesn't mean it's right for everyone or anyone else.

5. I am of the impression that 4 cycl engine (some) also have the oil consumption issue - I really thought it was only the 3.2 were affected.

3.2L doesn't have the oil consumption issues, but carbon build up instead. They keep saying the oil consumption issues on the 2.0L is fixed, but I'm not so sure of that.

--------------------
Other cars in the mix -- 2013 bmw x1 31K miles priced to $28,500 (offered stealership 26,500 from $31,300 and they gave cold shoulder)

2013 rdx - 33K miles $27K but this is not in the runner-up at all- wife doesn't like the beige interior.

2014 cx-5 -- The car is nice but the mileage is not as claimed but the side mirrors vibrate at hwy speeds. The hood also vibrates at hwy speed -- both of which the dealer claimed unaware of. CX-5 is around $24 for the Touring (cloth and none of the bells and whistles)
It's not realistic for us to say we can help you assess these used vehicles. We don't even know what country you are in let alone whether you experience winter or not.

From a distance, it sounds like a very lo mileage Acura or Mazda might be best. It MUST have some form of mfr CPO, IMO.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for your reply. ALbany, NY is location -- can't seem to find a way to edit my profile (besides viewing it)

- Wife wouldn't mind the Honda CRV so much if it wasn't for the cheap feel and perhaps most importantly -- the road noise that most Honda owners complained about.

The other grips are:

> no warning for low-washer fluid
> no-light in the visors
> no light in the glove compartment
> the list can go on

this is why we were looking at the q5 as alternative. We looked at other q5s and we found others w/even miles in 100K+ for $23K range which I think is absurd. Anyway, the CRV sales guy has been calling us like we ran away with his paycheck from last Friday. He's currently on the ignore list as that's how they all do until u pull the plug on the car anyway.

Thanks again for your input. we really like the q5 but we'll have to subdue that admiration for now. Will keep shopping around.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
It's not realistic for us to say we can help you assess these used vehicles. We don't even know what country you are in let alone whether you experience winter or not.

From a distance, it sounds like a very lo mileage Acura or Mazda might be best. It MUST have some form of mfr CPO, IMO.
Thanks. I edited my profile to include my loc. anyway, The Acura sounds like a good option but thus far..the fuel economy isn't very realistic. Also, I currently drive a 2.0 engine in the form of the cheap man's audi -- Passat and it has served me well so that's why I sort of lean towards the q5 but i suppose the oil consumption is a bummer and the popular pano roof rattling.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Look at a Tiguan SEL 4MOTION.

Who is performing the on-going maint. on the Passat?
Old 05-30-2014, 09:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My wife despises the Tiguan w/passion - her exact words.

"Who is performing the on-going maint. on the Passat? " -- by who you mean mechanic? ??
Old 05-30-2014, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by xirsteon
My wife despises the Tiguan w/passion - her exact words.

"Who is performing the on-going maint. on the Passat? " -- by who you mean mechanic? ??
Just tell her it's a Q5 for $10k less (Are you painting yourself into a corner in terms of choice?)

Yes, are you performing the maint. on the Passat?
Old 05-30-2014, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

What about a nice Highlander?

From my POV, "economy" and SUV are two opposing extremes with next to no over-lap....mutually exclusive, if I may.

Quick Reply: Am I crazy to pay $24900 for '11 Q5