Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

AMI/MMI and iPhone 4 (Confused)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 09:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMI/MMI and iPhone 4 (Confused)

Sorry for the double post (i had this in the Audio/Video section but got no response) figured current Q5 owners could give me a clue

I just order my Q5 20T 2012 with No-Nav and been trying to figure out the capabilities of the AMI Interface specifically to use with an iPhone-4, but after reading bunch of posts I'm still very confused as I read conflicting info, can someone please explain?

So far what I can gather from posts :

* Older MMI = 2G, Newer 3G (not sure about differences)
* Bluetooth for calls OK with iPhone in either version
* 2G MMI could do A2DP but 3G can't?
* There is an official BT Box you can buy to do A2Dp with 3G MMI?(http://www.iamaudi.com/audi-music-in...etooth-adapter)
* iPhone can be used and controlled as iPod connected to AMI Cable but it will go to airplane mode and U can not use phone?
* there are two different versions of the AMI/iPod Cable (one for each version of the MMI)?
* You could MOD an AMI cable so iPhone will not go to airplane mode and you can listen to it but then MMI will not control it

So can anybody confirm or disproof these problems/features?
I'm most interested in understanding if the iPhone-4 works as both iPod controlled by the MMi when connected to AMI cable and still works as Phone through BT

Is there a place where I can get a current MMI/AMI Manual to check out these and other features (like capabilities of the SD cards)

Sincerely Confused...
Old 07-09-2011, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, 2G MMI (without Nav) DOES support A2DP, while the 3G MMI (Plus and/or with Nav) does NOT support A2DP. Not sure why but asked Audi on this their answer is no plan any time to enable support.

As for the A2DP box, some ppl reported that it will NOT work without enabling the hidden menu in the MMI system and do some adjustments. That means you will need a VAG cable ($300+) and some technical knowledge.

The only way to do it right now is using a 3.5mm Aux cable and a BT A2DP receiver such as Blackberry audio gateway.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the clarification on the A2DP, will ask the dealership about the box and compatibility

So do you kniw if Ican I still use the phone conneted to the AMI Cable or does it put it in airplane mode?
Old 07-11-2011, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

The iPod cable is strictly for streaming your iTunes/iPod music collection to the AMI.

As the way to tell the difference, look at the **** where you can turn for selecting things, does it has like a round indent in there? Looks like a inverted joystick? If it does have it then you have the AMI 3G, if it does not then you should have the MMI, which will be able to work with the A2DP box Audi offered.

Bottomline is that 3G systems like AMI are reported NOT to work with the A2DP boxes.

If you connect your i-device to the iPod cable supplied you can still use your phone but it needs to be connected via Bluetooth.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default AMI with Iphone 4 original AMI cable

So let me begin by saying that i have searched for different ways to connect my Iphone 4 to my 2011 Audi Q5 Premium Plus/ no navigation system, first i could only play Ipod and nothing else, than i called Audi and was told that only way to play anything other than Ipod music is through 3.5 mm jack and that is an additional cable( $40), so i said no way. Here is what i did and everything works now:
1. I jailbroke my iphone ( by the way it's legal to do, as per congress), easiest way is to use jailbreakme.com.
2. Once done with jailbreak, in Cydia( program that comes with jailbreak)you will need to download SBS ipod controller
3. Another app that you will need is Music controller Pro (5.99$)this app allows to turn off Ipod function and lets you play anything you want like: Pandora, AOL radio, anything you got on your iphone 4
5.99$ vs. 40$ your choice
Old 07-12-2011, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Not sure I understand.. so with Music controller Pro.. you connect your jailbroken Iphone via the iphone cable in the glovebox and play Pandora etc?

Does it allow you to use the cars skip buttons ? or do you have to use the iphone to skip?
Old 07-12-2011, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Out of curiosity, is there a benefit to using iPhone over an SD card?
Old 07-12-2011, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Like many iPod interfaces, what they do is communicate with the i-devices with protocols where the information and the content of the i-device is mapped onto the head unit. it would only understand the information provided by your iTunes library.

If you look at the pins layout of the connector cable, it would only accept audio line outs if the head unit tells it to do so. However anything besides iTunes, aka Pandora and such, no i-device controlling messages were sent or provided to the head unit, does no audio will be played back, EXCEPT the 3.5mm audio cable.

Jailbreak would do the trick as well however if you have a spare, you can modify your own iPod cable. Simply put, disconnect al the i-device data pins, change the resistor to 10 ohms (that's how the MMI/AMI detects what cable you have) and just connect it to your i-Device so you can playback whatever is on the i-Device.

Reference here: http://www.a5oc.com/forums/157083-post47.html
Old 07-13-2011, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I can see what song is playing on Pandora or any other app (on AMI screen) that I am using, but i can't skip forward, in Pandora app you can skip 5 songs ahead but for some reason I can't do that with this set up, but it's OK with me because I don't want to pay for SerXM radio and you can't skip music in there either.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Stevedusa, can you explain in more details on how exactly to do that set up with cable again, from what i understand it involves soldering, I would like to have an option in case i get new iphone 5 in the future.The picture of the cable just marks pins which ones to cut or disconnect i am not sure. Thanks

Quick Reply: AMI/MMI and iPhone 4 (Confused)