Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

AMI/MMI and iPhone 4 (Confused)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMI with Iphone 4 original AMI cable

When you connect your Jailbroken Iphone to AMI with cable it stats to play your Ipod music, what i do is i go to SBS settings( swipe your finger over signal 3G area) and you get to pop up screen that will let you control your, 3G, E, bluetooth etc.., if you downloaded ipod controller for SBS than you should see it there too, turn ipod off, and make sure that i pod is off in Music controller settings too, then go to your app like Pandora, press play and you good to go.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by colerex
Stevedusa, can you explain in more details on how exactly to do that set up with cable again, from what i understand it involves soldering, I would like to have an option in case i get new iphone 5 in the future.The picture of the cable just marks pins which ones to cut or disconnect i am not sure. Thanks
Yes soldering is required.

If you look at the pin layout, what you need to do is to remove the 6 data pins in there and replace the resistor in the cable with a 10-ohm resistor.

That's all you have to do.

I've included the high res pictures on the A5OC forum: http://www.a5oc.com/forums/164948-post111.html
Old 07-14-2011, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Not sure if it was answered, but yes, you can use your phone for music and phone calls at the same time. It will prompt you to put it into airplane mode when you connect, but you only need to hit "no".
Old 07-15-2011, 03:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Reisen
Not sure if it was answered, but yes, you can use your phone for music and phone calls at the same time. It will prompt you to put it into airplane mode when you connect, but you only need to hit "no".
Thanks for the response

This is the first concrete answer I get about the Airplane mode problem,. So from what your saying you can connect the iPhone hit no to going to Airplane mode and play and co troll music through MMI and still answer calls through Bluetooth right?

Have you experienced any interference on or 3G-cellular noise while playing?

Do you know if you have a 2G or 3G MMI? Not sure if this makes any difference with the AMI cable and the Airplane mode but just wondering
Old 07-15-2011, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JcMarin
Thanks for the response

This is the first concrete answer I get about the Airplane mode problem,. So from what your saying you can connect the iPhone hit no to going to Airplane mode and play and co troll music through MMI and still answer calls through Bluetooth right?

Have you experienced any interference on or 3G-cellular noise while playing?

Do you know if you have a 2G or 3G MMI? Not sure if this makes any difference with the AMI cable and the Airplane mode but just wondering
It will prompt you when you connect saying something about connecting to an unsupported device, and would you like to put your phone into airplane mode. You can either click no, or ignore it altogether, and the bluetooth will continue to work fine. The music will mute and come back as if you had an ipod connected to the MMI system and a normal phone synced via bluetooth.

So the answer to your first question is yes, you can control music and still answer (or make) calls as normal. I haven't heard any 3G cellular noise while playing either, although I confess that I usually synch my blackberry rather than iphone via BT. Either way, I'm not turning off the 3G radio on my iPhone, and am not getting interference.

Lastly, I'm pretty sure I have the 3G MMI system. It's a 2011 2.0T with Nav. Is 2G what you get if you don't get NAV?

What I'd really like to see eventually is full integration with a smartphone, and let the smartphone do the processing / memory for something like the NAV. So you maybe use a GPS, and even a 3G antenna built into the car, but the software, maps, etc. reside on the phone. Google Maps is 1000x better than the nav system on the Q5, both the interface, the search, and the fact that the maps are current.

That would also give you control through the MMI of apps like Pandora, etc, which would be pretty slick.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Reisen
So the answer to your first question is yes, you can control music and still answer (or make) calls as normal.
Great news then, I was worried I could not use BT while playing iPhone

It would be great if it would work with Stereo BT for Music (like my Wife's Honda) but at least you can plug it in.

I believe all 2011 and 2012 are 3G MMI, 2G was a previous model I guess

I know what you mean on the full SmartPhone integration. Many times I use google maps on my iPhone instead of the GPS on my car because it much more updated, not just in terms of new routes and Maps but on restaurants and places around.

A dock for a SmartPhone that would show on your display would be a great idea for any car. I previously had a Mini Cooper and toyed with the idea of installing a Mac Mini as a "Car Computer" for some time, there are manny websites that show such mods and although the integration on most are not that professional looking (and I would probably never do it in an upscale car like the Q5) functionality wise is pretty sweet.