Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Any regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No regrets soon, I HOPE!

Originally Posted by njbiker
First let me say that there's a great community hear. Good feedback without much trolling. Glad I found this place.

So after a few days with my new Q5 is wish I had waited and gotten navigation. Not so much for the Nav but for the backup camera. I'm really nit picking.. love the vehicle. Does anyone know if there's an aftermarket unit (nav or backup camera or both)that can be added and make use of the MMI screen? Looking for something to look as OEM as possible. Sorry if this has been asked before.

Nelson
I'll be installing an aftermarket navigation unit and backup camera soon. After it's installed it will look like nothing was ever done to my vehicle. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Nelson

ps many thanks to moonan for his help with all of the questions I had and making this possible.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'll be installing an aftermarket navigation unit and backup camera soon. After it's installed it will look like nothing was ever done to my vehicle. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Nelson

ps many thanks to moonan for his help with all of the questions I had and making this possible.
awesome! can't wait to see it installed.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pics or it didn't happen....
Old 12-13-2010, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
pics or it didn't happen....
i know, i know. . i'll post pics of the install and final product when i happens.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

i know, i know. . i'll post pics of the install and final product when i happens.
pics so that it really happened. the navigation part of the installation took about 3 hours. i have to admit i was a little apprehensive about taking my 3 week old Q5 apart but after witnessing how easily everything comes apart my nerves were settled. i now need to install the backup camera, maybe this weekend which should take about 2 hours.

am i happy? you bet! touch screen is pretty awesome. that said, i was only able to test on my 20 minute drive to my job. there's a lot of customization that can be done on the igo primo gps software so i need to learn the system but i think this this is a very good option for those that couldn't get a navi system and now want one that's integrated.

please pm me if you are interested in a similar set up so that i can provide you with my source's contact information.

nelson
Attached Images    
Old 12-21-2010, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Very nice, it looks factory.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Nice, nice job it looks great!
Old 12-28-2010, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pics so that it really happened. the navigation part of the installation took about 3 hours. i have to admit i was a little apprehensive about taking my 3 week old Q5 apart but after witnessing how easily everything comes apart my nerves were settled. i now need to install the backup camera, maybe this weekend which should take about 2 hours.

am i happy? you bet! touch screen is pretty awesome. that said, i was only able to test on my 20 minute drive to my job. there's a lot of customization that can be done on the igo primo gps software so i need to learn the system but i think this this is a very good option for those that couldn't get a navi system and now want one that's integrated.

please pm me if you are interested in a similar set up so that i can provide you with my source's contact information.

nelson
Nelson,

How are you doing, how is your system working, how close to the OEM unit is it? Can you still use the steering wheel controls with this unit?

I know, lots of questions, but I'd like to know before I move forward, I already emailed your source.

Thanks a lot,
Old 12-28-2010, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Acapulco
Nelson,

How are you doing, how is your system working, how close to the OEM unit is it? Can you still use the steering wheel controls with this unit?

I know, lots of questions, but I'd like to know before I move forward, I already emailed your source.

Thanks a lot,
So far so good. I would say that this aftermarket system is not as good as the Audi Nav system but it's still VERY good. Here's the low down on the system.

1. The install is challenging. It comes with VERY detailed instructions but I would recommend that you have it installed by someone with experience doing car radio installations if you've never done this before.

2. You can not use the steering wheel to enter data or use your voice. To enter data you use the touch screen.

3. One minor inconvenience is that you have to start the GPS system every time you start the car instead of being on when you start it. Like I said, not a big deal but some may object.

4. The screen resolution is rather low so the maps are not as crisp as the Audi Nav. This is not the system's fault. It's using the screen that's already there.

5. To control the radio presets, heater settings, etc while viewing the Nav you need to exit the Nav to see the radio settings on the screen. HOWEVER, you can still use the little display on your dash to control the blue tooth and dial numbers, select stations etc. Not a big deal but worth mentioning.

6. One benefit is that you can add a DVD player and play movies, even when moving (if you want to risk your life!)

7. I have not had time to install the back up camera but I will do so soon and provide feedback. It should be pretty straight forward.

Is it worth it? Absolutely. Today I had some people in my car and they didn't even notice that it wasn't the original Audi Nav. It went something like this.. Get in the car, start the car, touch the screen for 2 seconds, select GPS, Nav loads (about 5 seconds but it has a progress bar so that you know something is happening) then the map appears, done! The Nav also has buildings and landmarks loaded so it does have a nice look to it. It also has a lot more features that I'm still discovering. Hope this helps.

Nelson
Old 12-28-2010, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope this helps.

Nelson

Yes, you've been a great help Nelson, thanks a lot!

The best to you in 2011.

Last edited by Acapulco; 08-22-2011 at 10:01 AM.