Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Anyone got the cooling pump recall notice yet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonJ
Not me!
But, I've got an SQ5...maybe they aren't included?

Jason
New York
They may be different.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Gary-
You know, it is funny how Audi insists on THEIR SPECIAL SPEC ANTIFREEZE rather than any generally recognized commercial standards. As if "the yellow stuff" might eat up the radiator or cooling pump or headgasket. Even if it works with most everyting else in the world.

And then, there's that bitch of the karma thing: Audi insists they require silicate-laden coolant to protect their special aluminium parts....while everyone else recognizes that silicates form obstructions and, gee, clog passages like the auxiliary cooling pump apparently has?

I'm so lucky my original tires wore out so soon. Now I don't have to worry about voiding the warranty by using generic compressed air when I top up the pressure in them. (Whew!)

And the sheer audacity of them, to say "Uh, yeah, your car may catch fire but give us six or eight months to figure out whether that's really something that needs attention." These things do not endear the customer base. I'm kinda hoping mine catches fire, so I can ask them to replace it.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Wow Redd did Audi send a team over to steal your puppy ? We've had a few recalls, no more than most other manufacturers and I get the sense that Audi is playing very far to the "safe" side when it comes to most. Example, had my supplemental heater replaced.This was performed because there was concern over terminal oxidation leading to high resistance and fires.
I had a good look at my heater when they pulled the sucker and the terminals were pristine.That's after 5 years of Quebec winters.
As to Audi scaring us into using specific fluids Their advice isn't bad but I tend to use my imagination and save a lot of $$$
Old 06-17-2018, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

No, it was just one of those days when I ran out of patience, finding strange hands in my pocket, and strangers saying they weren't trying to PICK my pockets, they were just helping to flatten out the seams.

I'd like to top up the additive load in my coolant two months ago, not next year. Except of course, there's no Audi approved additive on the market. SolderSeal and Prestone both make them (and apparently no US retail chain stocks them in stores, selling premixed A/F is more profitable) but...then I'd get an argument about coolant if my car catches fire?

Murray, I'm baffled, simply and totally baffled, as to why we Colonials stopped running scoundrels out of town on a split rail. (And what they didn't tell us in grammar school, is that they rode out with the pointy split angle facing UP, bouncing all the way. Which usually was a slow death sentence.)

Just once I would like to hear some plain customer service, like "Well, there is no program yet but since your system needs some attention now, we'll just reach out and do that service NOW for you." Ain't that hard. If the pumps need to be replaced with a new design, fine. So meanwhile, flush it and fill it for me, so any crud that might be in there, is at least OUT for now.

It is the eight months of ambiguity I have no patience for. Heck, that's enough time to build AND train a puppy.(G)
Old 06-18-2018, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Build a puppy eh? Now you have my attention!
Old 06-19-2018, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone received this Recall Notice for an '18 SQ5?
Old 06-19-2018, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the notice yesterday. Wow! They actually do recommend parking outdoors!

On days that we drive our Q5, we typically park on our driveway until it gets dark - then I garage it.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the notice (2017 Premium Plus 2.0T). I do not plan on parking outside.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Warhead, you've never seen a Sony Aibo? (G)

I thought they were ridiculous overpriced when they came out, but wow have they appreciated in value. Yes, puppies can be built! Have been built!

And meanwhile, I found out that the coolant petcock, which is invisible when you open the hood, is exactly where it is supposed to be, just below the "bullet" that accommodates a drain hose. So once I get a drain hose to fit, I should be able to drain and flush without having to mess with the road pan and crawling under the car. The petcock is tight--but conveniently, a slotted "puck" for jacking on the pinch weld will make a very good handle for it.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 3.0T and have not received anything, I guess it seems to be a 2.0T problem than? The 2.0T seems to be less reliable and more problematic than the 3.0T. And sorry but my Q5 is staying garage kept no matter what Audi says.

Quick Reply: Anyone got the cooling pump recall notice yet?