Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi Q5 MMI

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Q5 MMI

Hello,
I have a 2012 Audi Q5, the MMI this car have is very simple, just music through SD card, CD or Aux cable...

i wanted to know if sombody have done something to modify this or is there a way to connect the audi cable to connect the iPone or iPod?

Also, i have seen a Generic MMI, have anyone used it? or what do you think of this?

Amazon.com: Koolertron For 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 AUDI Q5 Car DVD GPS Navigation With dual-core/3Zone POP 3G/WIFI/20 Disc CDC/ DVD Recording/ Phonebook / Game with GPS Navigation Vehicle GPS with Maps (OEM Factory Style,Free Maps): Electronics Amazon.com: Koolertron For 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 AUDI Q5 Car DVD GPS Navigation With dual-core/3Zone POP 3G/WIFI/20 Disc CDC/ DVD Recording/ Phonebook / Game with GPS Navigation Vehicle GPS with Maps (OEM Factory Style,Free Maps): Electronics

thanks,
Old 01-14-2016, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

The dealer usually supplies an MMI or AMI-to-iPhone cable with the car. They're easily found on the internet.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Redd
The dealer usually supplies an MMI or AMI-to-iPhone cable with the car. They're easily found on the internet.
Thanks Redd,

I have asked the local dealer and they tell me there is no way to add it.

My car is early 2012 (got it november 2011), but i still think there has to be something it can be done to connect the iPod... maybe i have to take apart everything.

Could you help me find something i can do?

thanks,
Old 01-14-2016, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Sorry, don't know what's in that car. If there is an AMI interface socket in the glove box, that's where a cable normally goes. Since my 2014 AMI is using pre-2009 technology, I would have thought the 2012 was the same unit, used the same cables. Apparently not.
You have no options for a 3.5mm stereo cable input, no socket in the glove box or elsewhere for any other input? Taking things apart is almost certainly not going to help, unless you're an electronics engineer.

Of course "something" can be done, but then you might have to consider trading it in for a Ford, or a Chevy, or...(VBG)

The final option is one of those $10 gizmos that plug into your cigarette lighter. They receive music from any Bluetooth device, and retransmit it on an FM radio channel, assuming you can find an unused one. Sound quality is at best "FM stereo" but, for ten bucks, it can beat nothing. Many also can take an SD card directly, so no Bluetooth device is needed.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry, don't know what's in that car. If there is an AMI interface socket in the glove box, that's where a cable normally goes. Since my 2014 AMI is using pre-2009 technology, I would have thought the 2012 was the same unit, used the same cables. Apparently not.
You have no options for a 3.5mm stereo cable input, no socket in the glove box or elsewhere for any other input? Taking things apart is almost certainly not going to help, unless you're an electronics engineer.

Of course "something" can be done, but then you might have to consider trading it in for a Ford, or a Chevy, or...(VBG)

The final option is one of those $10 gizmos that plug into your cigarette lighter. They receive music from any Bluetooth device, and retransmit it on an FM radio channel, assuming you can find an unused one. Sound quality is at best "FM stereo" but, for ten bucks, it can beat nothing. Many also can take an SD card directly, so no Bluetooth device is needed.

not taking all apart, but if yours have the AMI interface cable, i can imagine mine have the conector on the back part of the MMI...

i use a AUX bluetooth device, but i would like to control everything from the MMI... i think this car, because of being a central american version or the dealer took all the "standard extra" off, it wont have the AMI interface cable...

thanks,
Old 01-14-2016, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 228 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by J~Saca
Thanks Redd,

I have asked the local dealer and they tell me there is no way to add it.

My car is early 2012 (got it november 2011), but i still think there has to be something it can be done to connect the iPod... maybe i have to take apart everything.

Could you help me find something i can do?

thanks,
Prior to 2014 in the US, the AMI interface in the glove box was an option. If you don't see it in the GB then you don't have the option. Can the AMI interface be added, probably but at what cost?
Old 01-14-2016, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 228 Likes on 192 Posts

The poster already has SD card music capability and he can play the IPOD/IPHONE music through the AUX connection that's in his center console. He's looking to have the MMI display control of the IPOD/IPHONE selections.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:29 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

A great place to start would be googling "8T0057785A". It can be added. It is pricey and will require vehicle coding.