Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Bicycle rack for Q5

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Plasticar
I just bought the Saris Bones 3-bike rack, and the optional hatch hugger straps. They have a 2 bike one also. Their own website says it doesn't fit, but I did a test fit at the Performance Bike shop and it works fine. The bottom feet sit on the top of the rear bumper, but I have a plastic scratch guard there already. I have to jury rig a small cushion to protect the top of the hatch spoiler, but not a big deal. Haven't actually had bikes on it yet, but should work just fine.

Regularly about $160, on sale 10% off at Performance Bike through end of month if you have one near you, plus 20% off coupon if you sign up for the emails.
Excellent, sounds like just what I need. Thanks Jerry
Old 04-25-2013, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for the links, I've ordered one with the extra hatch huggers. I'll post a photo once I have it.

Thanks again for the help!
Jeff
Old 04-25-2013, 06:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Parsec
Good GOD! If it were possible to SEE the sound of fingernails going down a chalkboard, it would look something like that. I cant even look at that...
Old 04-25-2013, 07:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Although the OP stated he didn't want to go with a hitch-type rack, I agree with the replies in favor of it. There are many advantages to this configuration.

Years ago I bought a bike rack that holds bikes and also allows towing at the same time. The particular one I have is still available, as are similar ones from other companies.

http://hollywoodracks.com/bike-racks...hitch-rack.htm
Old 04-26-2013, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by J FLiCKY
Good GOD! If it were possible to SEE the sound of fingernails going down a chalkboard, it would look something like that. I cant even look at that...
I know - I didn't say it's pretty, but it works for someone using it only once a year. I use my other vehicle for transporting bikes since I thought it was a waste of money to own 2 vehicles with a tow hitch.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Parsec
I know - I didn't say it's pretty, but it works for someone using it only once a year.
Exactly, and thanks, that is just the type of solution I'm looking for!!! As I mentioned earlier, we had a strap type rack for our 02 ML 320 and it worked great for the couple of times a year I used it. I'll get this installed and see how it works.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Can't wait to see how it works. I might pick one up too just in case I want to drive the Audi somewhere instead of the truck.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jeff968
Thanks for the links, I've ordered one with the extra hatch huggers. I'll post a photo once I have it.

Thanks again for the help!
Jeff
We have the Saris Bones rack for my wife's car. It works great, and we haven't noticed any scratches or what not. The one thing I should mention is that with strap carriers, you probably have to get out every 50-100 miles and check to see that the straps didn't loosen up. That may be a deal breaker for you.

Alternatively, you can break down 2 bikes and throw it in the trunk pretty easily in a Q5. Then again, you probably have a bunch of equipment to go with those 2 bikes . . .
Old 04-26-2013, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MDub75
We have the Saris Bones rack for my wife's car. It works great, and we haven't noticed any scratches or what not. The one thing I should mention is that with strap carriers, you probably have to get out every 50-100 miles and check to see that the straps didn't loosen up. That may be a deal breaker for you.

Alternatively, you can break down 2 bikes and throw it in the trunk pretty easily in a Q5. Then again, you probably have a bunch of equipment to go with those 2 bikes . . .
This is a family trip to Cape Cod, a great place to ride a bike, and the roof has the thule container, and the hatch area is filled with luggage. The last couple of years since the ML left and the Q5 showed up the bikes have stayed home.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I recommend the Seasucker Talon. It is simple, works well, easy on and off, and can be mounted in a variety of places, but on the Q5 the rear window works well, and in that position it is quiet and saves gas. www.seasucker.com.

They have a new version that I just saw last week at the Sea Otter bike race. It uses black suctions cups and looks very nice. I have an older, slightly different model.

Quick Reply: Bicycle rack for Q5