Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Brake pads and light

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 05:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake pads and light

Hello,
First off, sorry for folks who read posts across multiple forums. I didn't post in 2 years and didn't realize AudiWorld is the place I needed to post in the first place! this is where i posted a bit in 2010 but got confused across various forum names!

I drive the Q5 (3.2 - 2010 model) and I have a quick question regarding the brake pads for the more knowledgeable folks on the forum.

I took it to 35K service few weeks ago and the dealer recommended that the front brake-pads are worn out and need to be replaced. Rear pads were worn too but were not under <5mm. Wouldn't the brake warning light turn on if the front pads were so worn out and need to be replaced soon? Brake pad light IS NOT turned on right now.

Anyway, for some reason, the way he explained it to me, I didn't trust him and wanted to get a second opinion. In the worst case, I thought I would wait for the red-light to turn on and get it replaced (dealership is ~10 miles from my home and office).

This was few weeks ago and I forgot to get second opinion. Long story short, I have a 150 mile (round-trip) day-trip tomorrow and started freaking out about it. In case, the light does get turned on during the trip, will I be safe to come back home and get it checked out.

Is it too risky? Can someone clarify? At what point would the light turn on and can I wait till then? (if rear pads are worn, the light wouldn't be on right?)

Thanks for the help and again, sorry for duplicate posts across forums.
Xanadu
PS: And yes, I will get them replaced early next week - not worth this tension :-)
Old 07-14-2012, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

If you are changing out pads and rotors there is really nothing you could hurt anyway.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
If you are changing out pads and rotors there is really nothing you could hurt anyway.
Thanks for the response. But my specific question is this - if it is <5 mm and if it needs to be changed based on my dealer's recommendation, why didn't the light turn on? Is it because the rear pads aren't connected to trigger the signal and the "service contact" I spoke with at dealership got confused between front and rear pads while talking to me. First he said, rear pads needs to be replaced since they are under 5 mm and then front..something seemed "off").

And is there an urgency is get this done before the light turns on and I can take the trip tomorrow in peace?
Old 07-15-2012, 02:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Search is your friend.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2814584
Old 07-15-2012, 04:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Great, thanks.. I did look at it before. But my light isn't turned on yet. I was not sure if the light would turn on for rear brake pads? Since the light isn't even on yet, I am assuming I have enough time - it is only 200 mile round-trip anyway...

thanks for the response nevertheless..
Old 07-15-2012, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

We have a '10 Q with 51k+ and brakes still feel fine and were checked by me recently when I rotated tires.
Service writers are known to up sell any service they can. Particularly brakes which are an emotional/safety issue.

I'd wait for the light to come on, as you would still have a couple hundred miles of safe driving. But that's me, and as you can see by my Avatar, I'm a gambling man and probably not the best person to advise as I "push the envelope" on many things in life.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Imario! That is reassuring ! But just trying to learn - could it be possible that the rear pads are worn but the light isn't on? Seems like the light would turn on only if the front pads are worn (this is just for my knowledge - the service writer only mentioned about front pads).

Thanks again.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will be fine there is a huge safety margin on them.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Rear brakes wear less quickly than fronts. Your driver's side front pads are a good indicator of pad wear. I'd worry about those first, and the sensor in those front pads will warn you of their wear.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by audi_q5_Md_Dc
Thanks for the response. But my specific question is this - if it is <5 mm and if it needs to be changed based on my dealer's recommendation, why didn't the light turn on? Is it because the rear pads aren't connected to trigger the signal and the "service contact" I spoke with at dealership got confused between front and rear pads while talking to me. First he said, rear pads needs to be replaced since they are under 5 mm and then front..something seemed "off").

And is there an urgency is get this done before the light turns on and I can take the trip tomorrow in peace?
You can wait for the light to come on but then you may not have long till the pads do damage to the rotors. - RS4 were noted for that. Not sure of Q5s

Quick Reply: Brake pads and light