Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Cabin filter, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 04:56 AM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting - thank you for bringing balance to the discussion. Considering that some gases have qualities that are preferable for use in tires, in your opinion, what would the IDEAL gas be? Is it Nitrogen, or perhaps another one on the Periodic Table?
Old 05-31-2010, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Found the toolkkit! Found the toolkit! The owners manual was vague as it did not mention to look UNDER the carpet. As a bonus, I now know where the battery is located

Thank you BullDog.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
Found the toolkkit! Found the toolkit! The owners manual was vague as it did not mention to look UNDER the carpet. As a bonus, I now know where the battery is located

Thank you BullDog.
Dogs are man's best friend .
Old 05-31-2010, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default WOOF WOOF! Cabin filter?

Originally Posted by Old Dog
Dogs are man's best friend .
Indeed sir, they are!

Now, did anyone actually look under the cowling to see if they have a cabin filter installed? Or am I simply looking in the wrong place?
Old 05-31-2010, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DrV
Interesting - thank you for bringing balance to the discussion. Considering that some gases have qualities that are preferable for use in tires, in your opinion, what would the IDEAL gas be? Is it Nitrogen, or perhaps another one on the Periodic Table?
Now that's a very interesting question (at least to me ) I can tell you how to analyze for gasses, but I'm no materials expert. If memory serves (and it often does not), you want a big molecule to lessen diffusion (loss). Moving up on the atomic chart, Hydrogen (atomic weight 1) is explosive, so never a good idea . Helium (atomic weight 4) has an inverse density temperature coefficient/heat capacity/coefficient of volume expansion - I told you I was no materials expert . What I'm trying to say is that Helium actually gets "thicker" as temperature increases. Oxygen (diatomic weight 32) is too reactive (and supports combustion!), leaving Nitrogen (diatomic weight 28) is a plentiful, cheap, inert, and is a relatively large molecule. Perhaps Argon (atomic weight 40) would be evenbetter than Nitrogen. I have a 600 gallon dewar of Argon at my laboratory. Hmmm time for some research
Old 05-31-2010, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Now that's a very interesting question (at least to me ) I can tell you how to analyze for gasses, but I'm no materials expert. If memory serves (and it often does not), you want a big molecule to lessen diffusion (loss). Moving up on the atomic chart, Hydrogen (atomic weight 1) is explosive, so never a good idea . Helium (atomic weight 4) has an inverse density temperature coefficient/heat capacity/coefficient of volume expansion - I told you I was no materials expert . What I'm trying to say is that Helium actually gets "thicker" as temperature increases. Oxygen (diatomic weight 32) is too reactive (and supports combustion!), leaving Nitrogen (diatomic weight 28) is a plentiful, cheap, inert, and is a relatively large molecule. Perhaps Argon (atomic weight 40) would be evenbetter than Nitrogen. I have a 600 gallon dewar of Argon at my laboratory. Hmmm time for some research
isn't argon used in double pane windows as a type of insulation? how would that be a good idea for tires. I live in NYC where we do have climate change so i like Nitrogen but i also find that Nitrogen does not leak out of tires as easily as what we would call air does. although "air" is what 70% nitrogen anyway?

i wonder how nitrogen would work in my road bike tires at 120psi. i typically fill them with air but if i get a flat i do fill it with a quick shot of CO2
Old 05-31-2010, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you BullDog.
You are quite welcome. TY for sharing your insight/expertise concerning Nitrogen. If I could get it for next to nothing I might consider it.
Have you found your air pump yet? And did you notice the location of the hook for the removal of the center cap. It's very near the tool kit. Would be a great idea to familiarize yourself with the jack, pump, lug wrench, and spare tire if you haven't already done so. Having to learn and sort it all out in the dark could be a drag.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes indeed I did find the toolkit despite the owners manual's ambiguity. Center cap hook - so THAT's what that thing is!
Old 06-01-2010, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Cabin filter

Now, did anyone actually look under the cowling to see if they have a cabin filter installed? Or am I simply looking in the wrong place?
Hmmm, 19 posts and counting to the location of that elusive cabin filter . If I had a Q I'd check it out. Hope someone picks up the ball and scores a point for you.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Dog
Hmmm, 19 posts and counting to the location of that elusive cabin filter . If I had a Q I'd check it out. Hope someone picks up the ball and scores a point for you.
If anyone knows about the "pesky" filter it's Kleinbus. Where are you Kleinbus?

Quick Reply: Cabin filter, etc.