Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Can't figure this thing out--MMI nav destinations

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't figure this thing out--MMI nav destinations

My phone is paired with the car and I have a profile set up. This is what I can't figure out-if I am in my car, with no phone, and I create a nav destination and store it, should I be able to see it in the directory the next time I have my phone and it's on and bluetoothed and synced? This thing is confusing... I've read some posts and the manual about a bazillion times. Is the nav. destination "directory" different from the contacts directory ? Is there anyway to see my saved nav destinations whether the phone is bluetoothed or not? i.e., all the time? Am I missing something here ? Tks
Old 05-23-2012, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I believe the navigation destinations are stored in the vehicles directory, not your cell phone contact file.

Others may know better. Yes, poor documentation.

Dennis
Old 05-23-2012, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

I agree, the nav is a bit confusing. I'm still trying to figure it out myself. Apparently, the nav is linked in some way to your contacts directory because you can say "navigate to John Doe." If John Doe is in your contacts and you have an address stored in that contact, it should (theoretically, because I've never actually done it) set that as your destination.

I use a workaround to deal with stored destinations. Because the nav stores all your previous destinations, you can retrieve a previous destination pretty easily and lock it in the nav. When I'm going somewhere, I enter the address or find my destination in advance, then I'm not trying to enter it while I'm driving. I'm taking a road trip in a couple of weeks and I have already entered my destinations into the nav. Finding them now is just as simple as retrieving it from the previous destinations menu.

I'm not sure it's the answer you're looking for, but it is an answer.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I use the previous destinations as well. I haven't had a need to use anything other than this or my phone's contacts. But perhaps this is because I have my phone with me all the time, whereas the OP was talking about cases without the phone. But why leave the house without your phone? :;
Old 05-23-2012, 10:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

That was my impression as well after glancing at the manual and briefly messing with it. Saving a destination (without a phone connected) goes to vehicle's directory (hard drive). The phone directory is being referred to as "contacts."

The manual was poorly written; the MMI Nav interface was badly designed. If I can use my $50 Navigon app on my iPhone without reading a single page of documentation, why should I need to read the manual and asking questions here for a nav in a $50,000 car?

-alex

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
I believe the navigation destinations are stored in the vehicles directory, not your cell phone contact file.

Others may know better. Yes, poor documentation.

Dennis
Old 05-23-2012, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rent
That was my impression as well after glancing at the manual and briefly messing with it. Saving a destination (without a phone connected) goes to vehicle's directory (hard drive). The phone directory is being referred to as "contacts."

The manual was poorly written; the MMI Nav interface was badly designed. If I can use my $50 Navigon app on my iPhone without reading a single page of documentation, why should I need to read the manual and asking questions here for a nav in a $50,000 car?

-alex
So if I have a destination saved to the car, and I have my phone bluetoothed, the only way I can get back to my "car" directory is to turn off my Bluetooth ?
Old 05-23-2012, 11:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am not sure. I will experiment. :-)

Originally Posted by Mrchntmarine
So if I have a destination saved to the car, and I have my phone bluetoothed, the only way I can get back to my "car" directory is to turn off my Bluetooth ?
Old 05-23-2012, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrchntmarine
No - previous destinations are stored on the car.... just browse the previous destinations and navigate
Old 05-24-2012, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
No - previous destinations are stored on the car.... just browse the previous destinations and navigate
Got that part. but, this is what I can't figure out-if I am in my car, with no phone, and I create a nav destination and store it, should I be able to see it in the directory the next time I have my phone and it's on and bluetoothed and synced? This thing is confusing... I've read some posts and the manual about a bazillion times. Is the nav. destination "directory" different from the contacts directory ? Is there anyway to see my saved nav destinations whether the phone is bluetoothed or not? i.e., all the time? Am I missing something here ? Tks
Old 05-24-2012, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

My exprience is that the audi mmi 3g directory shows multiple source of entries: cell, car phone and nav.
Nav entries have a car symbol in front of the entry.
Phone entries have a phone symbol in front of telephone entry.
Your cell phone entries will appear like car phone entries and may have duplicative name of car entry. .

The nav entries have nothing to do with you cell phone.

New Mmi connect which is in the 2013 Q5 may be more integrated. Certainly with Google stored locations.

Quick Reply: Can't figure this thing out--MMI nav destinations