Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Cheap Sim Card and Plan for Audi Connect

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Soooooo... here's the deal. I decided for ****s and giggles to insert my cell phone sim in my audi and it worked! Then I inserted the ipad one in my phone and it worked just for data of course...however, when putting the ipad one back into the audi, it didnt work!

So What i did was cancel the ipad plan, going to re put it tomorrow and see if maybe that will help reset. If not, and because of the type of plan I have, it only cost me 10 bucks to get an additional phone line with 2.5 gb of fast internet a mnth. I doubt ill need anything more than that. I

Anyone experienced this?
Old 11-07-2015, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Update: Went to Tmo, cancelled my ipad plan. Started a brand new one and reused the sim card.....it did the trick! 3g all day baby! haha. Seems that there's some kind of glitch, so for posterity I'm leaving these note here
Old 12-13-2015, 02:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone purchased this $0.99 TMobile SIM card kit and used the free data for life plan? Bring your own device to T-Mobile and insert this ready-to-use SIM card for easy use. This prepaid SIM card kit allows you to start using the T-Mobile 4G LTE network on your device
Old 12-13-2015, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

The fine print does say it is only for phones that support LTE bands II and IV, and requires a service plan.

But for 99c....you can't lose too much for trying.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm using a h2o Wireless prepaid sim card; it uses the AT&T network and is $10 for 3 months or 100mb of data. I don't use hotspot feature in my car, so I don't use a lot of data. So far, I'm 28 days in and have used $0.11 worth of data.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by GRT89521
I'm using a h2o Wireless prepaid sim card; it uses the AT&T network and is $10 for 3 months or 100mb of data. I don't use hotspot feature in my car, so I don't use a lot of data. So far, I'm 28 days in and have used $0.11 worth of data.
Also avoid the Google Earth overlay - it will suck down that 100MB pretty quickly. Especially if you use it outside a 20 mile radius.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

2013 A6 3G+ MMI here.

I popped in my existing T-Mobile SIM card, but:
- Unable to access Google services
- Not enough data? error, takes me to a T-Mobile web2go web page which displays an error and "call T-Mo"
- Tried various T-Mobile APNs
- Connection Info shows as properly connected and in service

I called Audi Connect and they are saying that I MUST use a special T-Mobile SIM card from them / the dealer.

What the diddly? I noticed many are using US Cellular, PTel. I appreciate your suggestions.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

When you say you inserted your "exisiitng" T-Mobile sim, where did you get it from? If it was from a phone or tablet, it likely won't work in the car as it's provisioned tied by IMEI to the carrier as a phone or tablet. I know, I've tried unsuccessfully to make a T-Mobile sim work if from another device.

You do not have to get a sim from the dealer. You can simply order a data only sim card from US Mobile or TruPhone and when it arrives, register the sim on their websites. Audi Connect will always tell you that one of their sim cards is required but it's simply not true - they have no clue what works beyond their offered services.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
When you say you inserted your "exisiitng" T-Mobile sim, where did you get it from? If it was from a phone or tablet, it likely won't work in the car as it's provisioned tied by IMEI to the carrier as a phone or tablet. I know, I've tried unsuccessfully to make a T-Mobile sim work if from another device.

You do not have to get a sim from the dealer. You can simply order a data only sim card from US Mobile or TruPhone and when it arrives, register the sim on their websites. Audi Connect will always tell you that one of their sim cards is required but it's simply not true - they have no clue what works beyond their offered services.
+1 My sim is from TruPhone.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven

"Existing" T-Mobile SIM card is one that is active and was previously used in a phone.

Is there basically any way to do use T-Mobile but not through Audi Connect's offer? I already have a spare line. For example would getting a new SIM card from T-Mo but not using it in a phone at all prior to the experiment, potentially work?

Quick Reply: Cheap Sim Card and Plan for Audi Connect