Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Cheap Sim Card and Plan for Audi Connect

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just followed Starfish63's advice for Freedom Pop and works a treat! Thanks

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-.../#post24990689
Old 08-17-2017, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How is everyone's data usage looking like? And what all do you do to get that?

I used 87MB just in 1 day, about 1.5 commute total using google earth as the map.

I used the google search function once.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by f_399
How is everyone's data usage looking like? And what all do you do to get that?

I used 87MB just in 1 day, about 1.5 commute total using google earth as the map.

I used the google search function once.
The Google Earth overlay will use quite a bit when first caching your local area. If you stay within about a 20 mile radius, the data draw will be minimal. Once you leave that area, the cache will be overwritten with new data again. Earth can be a real data hog.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

My FreedomPop account "went dormant" due to lack of use in a while. I hadn't needed nav help and wasn't using google earth. I found out it was offline when I actually needed help finding an online destination. Not there when I needed it, lol. Anyway, all you need to do if this happens to you is log into FreedomPop and click a button.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I think I've used up my MB which is why the Google maps stopped along with online search capability. I have a Freedompop SIM. Trying to reach these people to get either more MB or on a plan is nothing but frustrating. They won't answer my questions and I've called three times. Each time they transfer me to a support queue where I have to pay $5 to talk to someone. The website is completely unhelpful. Here I am trying to give them money and they put me into an endless circle. I'm done with Freedompop.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:00 PM
jes
AudiWorld Member

You should be able to do everything on the website... If you set Automatic Top-up, once you use the 200MB, it will charge you for whatever you use over that. I rarely go over 200MB, so that's the best for me. Your milage may vary...

Note: My Global SIM stopped working not long after I got my LTE SIM, so I had to switch SIMs. If you have a Global SIM, you might need to replace it.

From account Overview page
  1. Manage Settings
  2. Credit Balance
  3. Enable Automatic Top-up

Last edited by jes; 10-30-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jes
You should be able to do everything on the website... If you set Automatic Top-up, once you use the 200MB, it will charge you for whatever you use over that. I rarely go over 200MB, so that's the best for me. Your milage may vary...

Note: My Global SIM stopped working not long after I got my LTE SIM, so I had to switch SIMs. If you have a Global SIM, you might need to replace it.

From account Overview page
  1. Manage Settings
  2. Credit Balance
  3. Enable Automatic Top-up
I couldn't even log in. Attempts to recover the password didn't work. I called and spoke to 3 different sales reps, each passed me off to the paid support line and wouldn't even listen to my questions. Since I bought the card directly from FP, you'd think I'd still be in there system. Too much trouble, I'm done.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thanks

Just got my FreedomPop 3in1 LTE card in the Mail today. After 5min of research on this thread, I got it up and running in my 2014 A6. Used the attz APN mentioned below. Just thought I’d confirm that the FreedomPop method still work and to say thanks for a great (and free) solution.

Eric
Old 11-21-2017, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just got my new '18 S5 sportback and currently in AudiConnect Trial.

I think there are really two things here; the AudiConnect for all the online services the MMI does. I think for that there is no option other than AudiConnect service via AT&T. I don't think there is any way around that even with another SIM card. Correct?

The other thing is the wifi hotspot, which I think would work if the SIM slot is supported (think it might not be in the newer cars)
Old 11-21-2017, 03:34 PM
jes
AudiWorld Member

Once AudiConnect is working with your trial period or paid service, it will work with any SIM. I have used 4 SIMs since my trial ended. All work with AudiConnect.

The WiFi hotspot is simply a WAP (wireless access point) for the vehicle's network. If there's no active Internet connection, then it's Intranet (local) only...

Quick Reply: Cheap Sim Card and Plan for Audi Connect