Cheap Sim Card and Plan for Audi Connect - Page 31 - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi Q3 /Q5 / Q7 > Audi Q5 > Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion
Reload this Page > Cheap Sim Card and Plan for Audi Connect
Notices
Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Cheap Sim Card and Plan for Audi Connect

Old 08-10-2017, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just followed Starfish63's advice for Freedom Pop and works a treat! Thanks

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-.../#post24990689
Old 08-17-2017, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

How is everyone's data usage looking like? And what all do you do to get that?

I used 87MB just in 1 day, about 1.5 commute total using google earth as the map.

I used the google search function once.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by f_399 View Post
How is everyone's data usage looking like? And what all do you do to get that?

I used 87MB just in 1 day, about 1.5 commute total using google earth as the map.

I used the google search function once.
The Google Earth overlay will use quite a bit when first caching your local area. If you stay within about a 20 mile radius, the data draw will be minimal. Once you leave that area, the cache will be overwritten with new data again. Earth can be a real data hog.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

My FreedomPop account "went dormant" due to lack of use in a while. I hadn't needed nav help and wasn't using google earth. I found out it was offline when I actually needed help finding an online destination. Not there when I needed it, lol. Anyway, all you need to do if this happens to you is log into FreedomPop and click a button.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think I've used up my MB which is why the Google maps stopped along with online search capability. I have a Freedompop SIM. Trying to reach these people to get either more MB or on a plan is nothing but frustrating. They won't answer my questions and I've called three times. Each time they transfer me to a support queue where I have to pay $5 to talk to someone. The website is completely unhelpful. Here I am trying to give them money and they put me into an endless circle. I'm done with Freedompop.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:00 PM
jes
Audiworld Junior Member

You should be able to do everything on the website... If you set Automatic Top-up, once you use the 200MB, it will charge you for whatever you use over that. I rarely go over 200MB, so that's the best for me. Your milage may vary...

Note: My Global SIM stopped working not long after I got my LTE SIM, so I had to switch SIMs. If you have a Global SIM, you might need to replace it.

From account Overview page
  1. Manage Settings
  2. Credit Balance
  3. Enable Automatic Top-up

Last edited by jes; 10-30-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jes View Post
You should be able to do everything on the website... If you set Automatic Top-up, once you use the 200MB, it will charge you for whatever you use over that. I rarely go over 200MB, so that's the best for me. Your milage may vary...

Note: My Global SIM stopped working not long after I got my LTE SIM, so I had to switch SIMs. If you have a Global SIM, you might need to replace it.

From account Overview page
  1. Manage Settings
  2. Credit Balance
  3. Enable Automatic Top-up
I couldn't even log in. Attempts to recover the password didn't work. I called and spoke to 3 different sales reps, each passed me off to the paid support line and wouldn't even listen to my questions. Since I bought the card directly from FP, you'd think I'd still be in there system. Too much trouble, I'm done.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thanks

Just got my FreedomPop 3in1 LTE card in the Mail today. After 5min of research on this thread, I got it up and running in my 2014 A6. Used the attz APN mentioned below. Just thought Id confirm that the FreedomPop method still work and to say thanks for a great (and free) solution.

Eric
Old 11-21-2017, 11:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just got my new '18 S5 sportback and currently in AudiConnect Trial.

I think there are really two things here; the AudiConnect for all the online services the MMI does. I think for that there is no option other than AudiConnect service via AT&T. I don't think there is any way around that even with another SIM card. Correct?

The other thing is the wifi hotspot, which I think would work if the SIM slot is supported (think it might not be in the newer cars)
Old 11-21-2017, 04:34 PM
jes
Audiworld Junior Member

Once AudiConnect is working with your trial period or paid service, it will work with any SIM. I have used 4 SIMs since my trial ended. All work with AudiConnect.

The WiFi hotspot is simply a WAP (wireless access point) for the vehicle's network. If there's no active Internet connection, then it's Intranet (local) only...