Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Creaking Noise When Applying The Brake

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by haitink
Yep. I have the same creaking sound when coming to a light, and a lot of dust on the wheel spokes. It does seem something abnormal is going on there.
I haven't noticed (or looked for) dust, but I do have a slight creaking sound, and even worse is the 'shuddering' when coming to a stop. I don't know if this is a crossover from this post, but there definitely seems to be some issues (I can't tell if it's the brakes or transmission causing the shuddering). I'm going to try to get in to my dealer this week. Just got the car last week, took a road trip this weekend, and am over 500 miles now.

Everything else about the road trip was great. Highway driving was a blast, but driving around town was a bit annoying whenever I had to come to a stop.

Has anyone had any positive resolutions for this/these issues yet?
Old 09-15-2009, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI - I have more than 4000KM/2500Miles on the clock.

Hi Gang,

I thought I gave you a quick update. I went to the dealer and ask them to ‘try to’ fix the creaking noise. They did take all 4 tires off and cleaned pads/rotors. They did something ‘as per TSB# 2017130/5”. They used Item NA-CO602 Squeal-X and NA-PLI010 Cleaner.

Result: NO CHANGE.

Do not bother trying to get rid of the creaking noise. Won’t happen except you get new (more expensive) brake pads ;-)… I for my part will try not to play too much with the brake when slowly rolling/standing and turn the music volume up *haha*

Still, love the car.

Cheers
Flogsta
Old 10-04-2009, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hi everyone, tried to ignore the 'issue' and not play too much with the brake. But I have to get it off my shoulders. The creaking noise when applying the brake at slow speed or releasing the brake when standing is driving me insane. I owned Audi's before and never had that experience. I love my Q5 but I might go nuts with all that creaking noise. Anyone outthere with the same issue and possible solutions? I can not except it that my dealer is telling me all their cars on the lot have that noise. Bad when they demonstrate it with two other cars ;-( I might try a different dealer to see what they say.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default What I would do...

Originally Posted by flogsta
Hi everyone, tried to ignore the 'issue' and not play too much with the brake. But I have to get it off my shoulders. The creaking noise when applying the brake at slow speed or releasing the brake when standing is driving me insane. I owned Audi's before and never had that experience. I love my Q5 but I might go nuts with all that creaking noise. Anyone outthere with the same issue and possible solutions? I can not except it that my dealer is telling me all their cars on the lot have that noise. Bad when they demonstrate it with two other cars ;-( I might try a different dealer to see what they say.
http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=U1B4000
Remove the front pads(taking note of their position...inside, outside, right & left).
Clean pads and calipers with "CRC Brakleen" or similar product.
Apply "Loctite Disc Brake Quiet" to the back of each pad and to any point that the metal pad backer contacts any part of the caliper(exception-guide pins).
Reassemble and test drive. Make sure you pump the brake pedal a few times before backing out of the driveway. Do the rears if the noise is still present.
Most techs will only apply "anti-squeal compound to the backs of the pads and in many cases this isn't good enough.
GL
Old 10-04-2009, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hey flogsta! At this point, I'd give Audi Canada a call and log a complaint that this issue is driving you insane. They might get a regional rep. to look at your car when it is in for service. For one of my issues in the past they even had Audi Germany assisting with the diagnosis. Good luck.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hi folks,

it has been a while since my last post and I thought I check back re: the issue described in this thread.

I just came back from vacation and hoped to 'ignore' the issue but still I am out of luck - drives me nuts.

I am just wondering, anyone else outthere with the same issue? I hate to go back to the dealer and being told/demonstrated that other A4 and Q5 have the same. I can just not understand how a luxury car will make that kind of noise when applying the brakes (the Lexus, XC60 etc. I drove did not have that). Anyone outthere maybe who knows about a TSB other than the one I mentioned earlier?

Thanks, appreciate any input.

Flogsta

PS: Beside this issue, LOVE THE CAR.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm not sure what noise you mean, something that comes from system, similar what comes from ABS when it activates on slippery road or something that comes from pads and rotors (disc's)

Playing with brake at the stop light and the sweet spot where it is going to start moving... There is nothing you can do to that sound, I have driven cars, vans, 18 wheelers and charter busses and so far I have not found a vehicle that would not make sound on that sweet spot.

For the pads and disc's one sound cause is too light driving, so both surfaces get glassy coating and soon creates really annoying high pitch sound.

Most of folks says get new pads that are softer or harder, if not availeble then there is 2 ways to remove (break) the glassy surface.

a) take wheels off, pads off and give sweep with angle grinder to pads and disc to break the surface and throw the sh** back and drive the heck out of the car. I have done that few times on my other cars...

b) take out all the possible "junk" that might be relocated when you hammer the brakes, find quiet smooth road with no traffic, no one behind you and so on, get some speed (at least 50 mph, 60-70 better) and brake as hard as you can (I mean STEP on it), do it again 2 to 3 times. So far that have heaten up my brakes the way high pitch sound goes away.

For example, this morning I was rolling out of our garage with our Jetta and just before wheels stopped rotating, I heard that horrible scream from brakes I thought would wake up whole neighborhood. Waited till the garage door closed and drove off to the side street with no traffic, got 50 mph and slammed the brakes all the way to stop, rolled to junction and got 50 again, slammed the brakes to stop and took off again. Next junction no sound....

Though you need to know the road where you slam the brakes, it have to be clean so the steering keeps you straight. If you happen to take one full of leafs, one side of your car may slide, other lock and drag you out of the road and then you come blame me that I told you to do something that stupid

My Q5 doesn't make sound as I truly "enjoy" driving it, last weekend found myself 4 wheel sliding around the dirt road with proper crazy smile on my face. Jetta is wifes car and she drives it too gently.... in no time its brakes have that high pitch sound, so I drive it few days and sound goes off....

Last edited by kleinbus; 10-29-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kleinbus
Playing with brake at the stop light and the sweet spot where it is going to start moving...
When I first read this post, I didn't know what you were talking about. After playing with the breaks, I can get a noise like you describe to happen by applying the brakes gently, just as Kleinbus states. I rarely get any noise under normal driving conditions and when I do it really isn't enough to bother me. Either start pushing a little harder on the brake pedal or wear some ear plugs. Unless I am missing something, this is not a defect.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Appreciate Kleinbus/MCNIERNEYC comments.

Just to confirm, it is not a screaming noise like when 2 metals rub on each other... more the creaking noise wood makes (like opening a heavy oak door). Maybe I am too sensitive *haha* but all cars I had so far never made that noise.

I will give it one last chance and talk to the service guys at Audi when I go in for the 8000 Kilometer inspection (2,5K to go).

Thanks.
Flogsta
Old 10-29-2009, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by flogsta
.....more the creaking noise wood makes (like opening a heavy oak door)

When does this happen? Every time or once a while? After taking car from garage or after car have been parked outside?

Point is that I have head that sound few times after my car have been outside on rain or after I have washed the car and left it outside and discs becomes rusty. After that next few times coming to stop brakes have kept "old door" sound as the rusty steel surface haves different friction than clean steel.

Last edited by kleinbus; 10-29-2009 at 12:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Creaking Noise When Applying The Brake