Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Cylinder 2 Misfire, CEL and EPC.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Ask him if he has a borescope, he should.That camera on a flexible tube can be used to snoop around the intake area and see if there's evidence of carbon buildup.I believe that the 3.2's issues are more likely to be on the exhaust side ? There must be someway of getting the camera in there ? Perhaps through the Egr circuit.Someone will chime in on this.You can also pull an exhaust manifold but that's a more complicated method.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 228 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
Ask him if he has a borescope, he should.That camera on a flexible tube can be used to snoop around the intake area and see if there's evidence of carbon buildup.I believe that the 3.2's issues are more likely to be on the exhaust side ? There must be someway of getting the camera in there ? Perhaps through the Egr circuit.Someone will chime in on this.You can also pull an exhaust manifold but that's a more complicated method.
First, there is an extended warranty on the 3.2L engine that covers carbon build up for 10 years/120K miles. So the OP should look into this.

In the past a lot of the carbon buildup was in the 3.2L Secondary Air Injection areas, the covers for the SAI were located to where the engine needs to be pulled (from the bottom on a Q5) to get at them and perform the clean. I believe that Audi now has a way to clean the carbon without the engine pull.

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 02-20-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
Since he can't do the carbon cleaning at his shop I'm not going to have him go that extra mile and possibly have to have it done elsewhere too. If he doesn't find a cause with the last info I posted, it's going to the dealer. They suggested it may be the ECM as well or possibly a coil wire.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Well, I have certainly pissed off the Cylinder Gods! . So the mechanic who had the Q5 has done all that he can do. Everything that he did kept the Misfire at Cylinder 2. So I have a shop that does our work cars and he has agreed to take a look at it and do the carbon build up cleaning. My inquiring mind search carbon build up cleaning and found some who have suggested spending $13.00 a can of SeaFoam or CRC intake cleaner spray was worth a shot. So I bought a can, opened the airbox and followed the instructions, let it hot soak and then drove it aggressively. Aggressive as I could in between the having to pull over and clear the EPC and CEL codes to try to burn off what I could Funny thing though... when I pulled over to clear the fault codes I re-scanned each time. I am now getting misfires all over the place. The first time it was still #2. The next time it was #2 and #6; the next time it was #1, #2, and random/multiple misfires.

Could this be an indication it is the carbon buildup causing it since it was always #2 cylinder until I sprayed the cleaner, and now its all over the place?
Old 07-25-2021, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did you ever figure it out???

I have literally the same issue going on with my Q5 right now. New coils, plugs, injectors, walnut blasted the intakes… still CEL and EPC. Knowing what finally happened to yours would be a godsend right now because I don’t know what to fix next to stop the misfires in cylinder 2…
The following users liked this post:
T Dot Harris (02-03-2022)
Old 07-26-2021, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
First, there is an extended warranty on the 3.2L engine that covers carbon build up for 10 years/120K miles. So the OP should look into this.
Only on secondary port injectors carbon buildup. Will give a different code. This missfire has nothing to do with that.
Old 08-07-2021, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Same issue here Q5 cylinder 2 misfire!

Originally Posted by applejuiceishere
I have literally the same issue going on with my Q5 right now. New coils, plugs, injectors, walnut blasted the intakes… still CEL and EPC. Knowing what finally happened to yours would be a godsend right now because I don’t know what to fix next to stop the misfires in cylinder 2…
I came here literally looking / hoping for help. I have a 2012 Q5 with the same issues: CEL, misfire cylinder 2,3,5.. I’m at my wits end with Audi, and have had it with Audi of Arlington. I’ve replaced ALL coil packs and plugs, no change, have had carbon cleaning, but blasts, chemical cleaning, nothing has fixed the issues. The dealership wants us to through money and parts at the vehicle as they do t know what’s wrong.

The dealership claimed it needed new plugs, and coil packs, after charging us their diagnostic fee.. I showed them the receipt showing I had already had the replaced 2 days prior, the SA claimed the mechanic made a mistake and now says it needs a leak down, and compression test for an additional $800, but will not solve the problem. When I pointed out to the SA Audi performed the leak down and compression tests a year ago when they claimed they had to rebuild the top end due to the oil consumption issue, he said it must be a mistake. Two days later the SA calls and says it needs all new pistons, cams, and upper timing guide: $12k worth of work. I pointed out again, only the year prior, 8k miles ago the same Audi dealership replaced the pistons, valve guides, cams, timing chain, guides, and gaskets due to the oil consumption issues under warranty... The SA hung up on me..

So this is what I have: 2012 Q5 V6 3.2L

Codes:

P0303 MF Cylinder 3
P0302 MF Cylinder 2
P0300 Random MF multiple cylinder
P219D004 Cylinder 2 A/F imbalance

Please if anyone has ANY ideas or suggestions please respond. Please if anyone has a reputable Audi shop in the MD/VA area let me know!! I’m open for anything at this point!

Thank you in advance!!

Old 02-03-2022, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Help!!!

Originally Posted by applejuiceishere
I didn’t see a response to this question. Just seeing if anyone got any resolve? I have the exact same issue on my 2011 Audi Q5 3.2. I changed the injectors, plugs and swapped the coil pack… still getting P0302 and EPC light… car misses right away after engine start and it’s more evident when driving and under load.