Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

DMV changed my model from SQ5 to Q5

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
"There is only one way to know what Audi sold me and it by checking with the VIN."
Not really. What did Shakespeare say, "a rose by any other name would smell as sweet" ?
The VIN just identifies a particular assembly line item produced by Audi. If it was built with the proper parts (interior, trim, engine, suspension, etc) that add up to SQ5, it is an SQ5 and that's where Audi's role ends.
Then, what wil prevent a dealer to simply put SQ5 badges on a Q5 and sell that as a SQ5 to my mom?

You think the cops will believe me when I will told them that my car is not a stolen vehicle with a switched VIN and that their system is wrong?

How would I prove to the DMV, to the insurance company and to Carproof that their system is wrong? Why would they care about this?

At the beginning, the lost of the S on my registration was just a small (ok, a big) deception. Now, I understand this could have big consequences.

Anyway, my seller is always helpful and I'm sure he will make sure to have that fixed. I will let you know how things go.

Last edited by Yoshimura; 10-02-2016 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
Then, what wil prevent a dealer to simply put SQ5 badges on a Q5 and sell that as a SQ5 to my mom?

You think the cops will believe me when I will told them that my car is not a stolen vehicle with a switched VIN and that their system is wrong?

How would I prove to the DMV, to the insurance company and to Carproof that their system is wrong? Why would they care about this?

At the beginning, the lost of the S on my registration was just a small (ok, a big) deception. Now, I understand this could have big consequences.

Anyway, my seller is always helpful and I'm sure he will make sure to have that fixed. I will let you know how things go.
If you want to confirm your Mom was sold an SQ5, look at the PR Label found in your vehicle's warranty booklet and in the spare wheel well. That PR Label will indicate whether the car is a Q5 or SQ5.

Another sign that your SQ5 is not a Q5 is its 3.0L Supercharged TFSI engine. Only the SQ5 is equipped with it.

I think you are over-reacting to Redd's response. The RCMP will not accuse you of switching VINs as long as your SAAQ registration papers and vehicle tag are legit and up to date. They'll figure out the mistake. But, if you have a prior criminal record then they might give it a second look.

Your dealer will be able to help you sort this matter out with AUDI Canada and make sure the Canadian vehicle database shows the correct model associated with your VIN #.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by plat27265
Your dealer will be able to help you sort this matter out with AUDI Canada and make sure the Canadian vehicle database shows the correct model associated with your VIN #.
This is what I also think.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a SQ5 and state farm makes no distinction between the 2.0 to 3.0 in the SQ5. DMV is the same. Stated as a Q5
Old 10-03-2016, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've seen a few listed for sale as Q5 S models.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sszyma
I have a SQ5 and state farm makes no distinction between the 2.0 to 3.0 in the SQ5. DMV is the same. Stated as a Q5
I've had the same issue with a Q5 TDI - the VIN didn't show it as a diesel. They've noted it in the records, so I'm confident I'm covered.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by plat27265
Another sign that your SQ5 is not a Q5 is its 3.0L Supercharged TFSI engine. Only the SQ5 is equipped with it.
?? Not true... I think that's part of the point of the OP's question. The Q5 3.0T and SQ5 use identical engines and other than badging (and maybe some non-enthusiasts would notice brakes and wheels), many casual buyers would not be able to tell the diff.

My $0.02 from a different perspective...I typically have bought some oddball-ish lower volume, but affordable cars. The SVT Focus and SVT/Cobra Mustang being 2 of them. In both cases, insurance coded them as non-SVT initially despite my question about it. No skin off my nose since I planned on keeping them a long time anyway. Insurance rates were good both times until someone at State Farm (for the Cobra) and Nationwide (for the Focus) figured out these were more enthusiast cars, fixed the coding, and in the Cobra case insurance went up ~200%. The Focus was less dramatic, but still irritating. If I'm remembering properly, the Cobra took ~2 years and the Focus ~12 months to be corrected.

In any case, I guess what I'm saying is there's little downside to your wallet to letting it be for now, but it likely will eventually be fixed.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

"Then, what wil prevent a dealer to simply put SQ5 badges on a Q5 and sell that as a SQ5 to my mom?"
Nothing except the fear of prison.

Other than that, what plat and others have said. There's more than badges involved, although there are always some rubes dumb enough to fall for buying scams. [And my apologies to anyone who has an elderly relative with dementia that may have indeed been duped by a criminal, selling VW Golfs as "Audi Q4's".]

I've seen a coupe registered as a sedan, because some state laws make the classification based on whether there's a "B" pillar, regardless of the number of doors. And some liftbacks classed as "estate wagons" aka station wagons, even if they were 2+2 coupes. Then there's cars and trucks. Really, if the vehicle you are driving in was built in a truck factory, to federal truck safety standards, and taxed as a truck, isn't it a truck? No, it may be a "combination" vehicle, or even a car, depending on whether there's a rear window and rear seats or seat belts.

It is quite common for DMVs, states, feds, and manufacturers to disagree on what "is is" as Slick Willie said.

Any classic car collector can tell you that they can tell a real Shelby Cobra from something else that's been extensively reworked to look like one. Regardless of the paperwork, or the claims made for it.

Even easier with a new car. Audi knows what they made, and sold. If your DMV decides that you are driving a grocery cart, that's their option. They're allowed to reclassify things that way.

Last edited by Redd; 10-03-2016 at 10:03 AM.