Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

DSR Disable

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 11:33 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

What I would like to know is how to disable DSR in a Q5 with Dynamic Steering. Byte 0 of module 44 in a Q5 with the standard electromechanical power steering is 01. In my Q5 is is 10 which shows DSR not active but the Power Steering Control Module (J500) coded/locked. I suspect module 44-Steering Assist is a slave and that 1B-Dynamic Steering is the one calling the shots so does that mean DSR is enabled in 1B instead? Coding info isn't avail for that module.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All -

Anybody in the eastern Virginia, N. C., or Maryland area that could assist me with disabling DSR?

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2016, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Bob-
One of the messages in the disable thread said "It just turns off the car trying to compensate for certain conditions. It seems to be caused by a software issue with no updates from Audi yet. " which echoes my problem with the AC icing up under certain very unusual conditions. Tentatively cured by a new climate control computer, apparently they can't just flash the programming on that. (We'll have to wait for August to find out if it worked.) And, there was a suggestion that suspension mods may have been involved, perhaps because those often put "handling" outside the normal parameters that the system might be looking at.
Not having a handy vag-com in my pocket...No way for me to test that out. I will say the car handles more like a "ballerina" than a 4400# SUV in normal use, very different from a plain old fashioned rack and pinion with fat tires and neutral handling.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
Bob-
One of the messages in the disable thread said "It just turns off the car trying to compensate for certain conditions. It seems to be caused by a software issue with no updates from Audi yet. " which echoes my problem with the AC icing up under certain very unusual conditions. Tentatively cured by a new climate control computer, apparently they can't just flash the programming on that. (We'll have to wait for August to find out if it worked.) And, there was a suggestion that suspension mods may have been involved, perhaps because those often put "handling" outside the normal parameters that the system might be looking at.
Not having a handy vag-com in my pocket...No way for me to test that out. I will say the car handles more like a "ballerina" than a 4400# SUV in normal use, very different from a plain old fashioned rack and pinion with fat tires and neutral handling.
Here is a quick explanation. As I stated in my previous posts disabling the DSR turns of the computer controlled steering wheel nudging for you to correct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver...Recommendation

My 2014 Q5, like you have, had the DSR updated at the dealer per the TSB with a software change in June 2015. That improved the steering a lot, but not to where my 2 prior Audi's with hydraulic steering assist performed. I was so used to my Audi's feeling like they were tacking the road like on rails. My cousin has a 2011 Q5 with hydraulic assist and that had a very nice steering feel, I was sort of disappointed in my 2014 compared to his.

Turning off the DSR may also lessen the amount of electric assist. The steering now feels a little more heavy, removing some of the on center too loose numb feeling (ballerina) that is sort of normal with all electric assist vehicles.

Again everyone has their own preference, that is why there is ADS. I like a tighter, less assist, steering with more road feedback.

Maybe in a month or so I'll reactivate the DSR to feel the differences again.