Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Dynamic Steering - What is it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynamic Steering - What is it?

We are looking at the SQ5 and one option I am unclear about is “Dynamic Steering”. I currently drive an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio. Nice steering and horses. in the market now for a small or midsize suv. We are gravitating to the SQ5 although the Q7 is not off the table but it is heavier but more space. Not many dealerships have the Dynamic Steering option locally. Does anyone have it and can you tell me what it does for driving the car? I know you can put the SQ5 into Dynamic and it should tighten everything up a bit. Devils in the details and want to make sure I am not leaving something off the table that I would regret not getting.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

I was unclear about this too, initially, and Audi confuses the issue a bit because there's a couple different things both called Dynamic Steering. So there is the Dynamic Steering option that you can purchase, and that actually changes the steering ratio depending on speed, I guess just to make parking easier since you don't have to turn the steering wheel as far. Then there's the Dynamic Steering setting you can select even if you don't have the dynamic steering option, and that just makes the steering firmer.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

There's an exact recent thread about this over in the RS5 forum.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...ption-2967268/

Let me summarize. You can find the what-is-it on the Audi Technology Portal along with many other of their technology. Here's the link https://www.audi-technology-portal.d...namic-steering

In a nutshell, the standard steering only changes the steering weight as you change from Comfort to Auto to Dynamic. The Dynamic Steering also changes the ratio. This has a few benefits. At slow parking lot speeds it makes the steering very direct for easy maneuvering and parking. A lot less steering input is required. At medium speeds it selects a ratio that's more responsive on windy roads and suitable for everyday driving, and at highway speeds it selects a ratio that's indirect for increased straight line stability and a less nervous steering. It also has Comfort, Auto and Dynamic modes which influence the combination of ratio and weight. I don't know about the SQ5, but in the RS5 if you select Dynamic, then the steering ratio is locked to a fixed 14.3:1 ratio for a direct and consistent steering on the track or favorite windy backroad. Basically the Dynamic Steering offers the best of all worlds. It gives you light, stable and comfortable steering response in Comfort mode, with easy maneuvering in parking lots, a more firm and a bit sportier steering for everyday driving in Auto mode, but still with easy maneuvering in parking lots, and a sporty/direct responsive steering in Dynamic for sporty driving. For me it's one of the key features that Audi offers, especially in conjunction with the sport differential as they work together. It is often misunderstood, few sales people know what it actually does and tend to discourage customers from getting it. Some car reviewers have also given it a bad rep, which largely seems to be because they didn't really take the time to use it in the proper mode for the given situation. If you try to use Comfort or Auto mode on the track for example, you won't like it very much, but an SQ5 isn't exactly a track car.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

Superswiss sums up the specifics of technology well. Test driving them side by side, it was very difficult for me to feel the difference. BUT, that is to be expected in two 20 minute test drives where you're not specifically able to go back and forth multiple times in the exact same situations. I chose to get it ( I hate regrets) and the car handles very well, but it seems to me a more subtle feature. I don't hear anyone without it complaining the SQ5 doesn't handle well. We get used to whatever we have, but I like the "concept" very much.

Same would be for the sport differential. Unless you're pushing it in a test drive beyond what I'd be comfortable doing with a sales rep, the differences would probably not be obvious. Yet I know in everyday driving my car is handling with the peak of Audi's technology at my fingertips. Sport diff has obvious more important benefits, but similar in that unless you're driving side by side in specific situations, you'd not know - unless you're pushing it into edge situations. Dynamic Steering seems more of a comfort thing (performance feeling) vs a major performance enhancement.

Last edited by spindlewood; 02-19-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Yeah, I would emphasize, that it may take some time to realize the benefits, but I think once you do and you then drive loaner cars that don't have it, it quickly becomes apparent. So, I have the system in my '13 RS5 and I did European Delivery. Had the car for almost a month and 4000 miles in Europe and I mostly drove it in Dynamic mode due to the nature of the German Autobahn. I did not really start experiencing Comfort and Auto mode until I received the car in the USA and started doing more typical daily driving. It also didn't help that the initial implementation back then had some quirks that were later fixed with a software update. I would say it took me quite a while to really appreciate it.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 124 Likes on 99 Posts

Along with the sport differential, I like it. Neither are things that stand out like a sport suspension but sit in the background and make pointing the car easier. If you are looking for a car that drives nice and gets you from point A/B, then you don't need it. If you really like driving and how the car "feels", you should be able to notice it. I can't tell it exists in a straight line but cloverleafs, turns and slightly curving roads it shows up.
I drove a Q5 loaner and could feel the difference.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the dynamic steering, along with the sport package (air suspension) is a great combination. I have both on my '18 SQ5. I am really impressed by the handling.. This thing takes corners at speed without any body roll at all. I have 2 corvettes, and can honestly say the handling on the SQ5, although not quite as good as either Corvette, is right up there. It was worth the extra $1,150 option price.