Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

EPA Update: 2016 Q5 TDI affected

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackSVT
Looking at the bright side: Given the 3.0 TDI's urea injection system already in place, VW should have a much easier time with a software fix that trades off more urea for lower NOx w/o hitting performance or MPG. Not that having to refill the urea twice as often isn't an inconvenience...
I'm not convinced of that. They took a big risk just to save a little DEF fluid. It's not like most owners of this engine can't afford it.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HotRodW
I'm not convinced of that. They took a big risk just to save a little DEF fluid. It's not like most owners of this engine can't afford it.
Agreed, agreed. But I think in the interest of making Diesels a painless, even attractive, viable option again in the US, I've always felt that Audi really pushed to make urea addition unnecessary between maintenance intervals.

We'll see I guess. I'm speculating, and reading between the lines a lot.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm frankly shocked that, if this is true, Volkswagen did not disclose it before. They already have a massive PR problem from the non-urea engines, they know they have a target on their back, they know that government agencies will inspect all VW diesel models with a fine tooth comb, so why not voluntarily disclose the full line up of cars that used the cheat software before getting caught red handed again? They must have known it was only a matter of time. So why no damage control? If our (mine -- ugh) TDI's are using cheat software, how could they not know it?

Even if you think VW is evil, this makes no sense from a self-preservation point of view.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Pratfall
If our (mine -- ugh) TDI's are using cheat software, how could they not know it?
In many large companies it's quite common to "filter" information reported to upper management. I'm not trying to defend VW, but these things do happen, and there is a chance top management didn't actually know.

Last edited by asmi84; 11-02-2015 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by soonerfan
I am somewhat unsurprised but was hoping the 3.0 TDI engines would, since the exhaust is urea injected, be within limits. Don't know about the rest of you owners, but I am MORE than disappointed at this news. It's going to cost VW/Audi/Porsche plenty, not only in dollars but in customer loyalty. If VAG doesn't treat this loyal customer well on this one, I'm likely looking elsewhere for my next vehicle. Going to be a hard replacement and a hard decision because absolutely nothing out there currently gets my blood pumping.
I see that my model year Q5 is evidently not affected, but I'm still more than disappointed. Audi is going to have to make it up to all of us and pray that we stay loyal.

I was thinking of trading for a new A4 or even a new Allroad if it struck me in the right spot. Lexus? Looks like a transformer of some sort. The BMW's look strange to me as well. Did not like my previous Mercedes Benz experience.

Dang their germanic hides.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well, that does it. I've bought four TDIs, but that's it-- I'm never buying another VW/Audi/Porsche product again. I don't know which is worse-- the dishonesty or stupidity-- but I do know I'll never trust that corporation again.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Maybe I did not read enough of the posts/press releases but I did not see if the 2016 Q5 TDI is "off the market" at this point...like the 4 cylinder TDI?

Also, did I see correctly that the 2015 Q5 is not included?

What about Q7 TDIs?

Not good...TomMartin
Old 11-02-2015, 11:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by asmi84
In many large companies it's quite common to "filter" information reported to upper management. I'm not trying to defend VW, but these things do happen, and there is a chance top management didn't actually know.
I hear you, but even if higher ups didn't know about the cheat software before the scandal, they certainly knew AFTER the scandal broke, and had every incentive in the world to conduct an intense internal investigation to determine which models -- across their entire line up -- shipped with the cheat software. At the very least their lawyers would push them to be ruthlessly aggressive about confirming 100% what did and what did not use the cheat software. They've had months to figure that out. They've said nothing, albeit offering mea culpas on the non urea models. If they found cheat software during their internal investigation on urea-treated TDIs, what possible incentive would they have to withhold it, knowing full well that the rest of the world was sure to be looking for it and find it if it was there? How does that end well with them? I'm just perplexed.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Pratfall
I hear you, but even if higher ups didn't know about the cheat software before the scandal, they certainly knew AFTER the scandal broke, and had every incentive in the world to conduct an intense internal investigation to determine which models -- across their entire line up -- shipped with the cheat software. At the very least their lawyers would push them to be ruthlessly aggressive about confirming 100% what did and what did not use the cheat software. They've had months to figure that out. They've said nothing, albeit offering mea culpas on the non urea models. If they found cheat software during their internal investigation on urea-treated TDIs, what possible incentive would they have to withhold it, knowing full well that the rest of the world was sure to be looking for it and find it if it was there? How does that end well with them? I'm just perplexed.
Imagine for a second you're the one responsible for this V6 issue. Would you come clean to your boss about this cover-up, or you would've just quit the job once issue with 2.0 engines was discovered? I'm not sure I would've chosen "option 1" myself, as the natural temptation to just hide away from all this (both figuratively and literally) would be very high...

I'm trying to be objective here (since my interests obviously might be affected as I'm one of "almost-VM-customers" - see my sig), and looking back at major screw-ups there will be some settlement with governments, but at the end of the day we, the common people, will have to pick up the tab one way or another.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 2015 Q5 3.0TDI not on the list?

Why do you think that? Seems strange to me...

Quick Reply: EPA Update: 2016 Q5 TDI affected