Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Extended Warranty, Audi care plus after 50K worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 05:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty, Audi care plus after 50K worth it?

Hello folks,

I do have few questions about my 2014 Q5 Prem Plus warranty extension and audi care plus:

1. My car is at 49k and will hit 50k in a month, at which the factory warranty expires.The dealer gave the quote for the extended warranty: upto 85k - $3000, upto 100k- $3600
2. Audi care plus service maintainance from 55k-65k is $770, and 75k-85k is $770
Total cost after 50K for both if purchased is $5140

Is the money worth spending? This is the money that we dont get back when we sell. I am planning to keep the car for 2 years( its 3.5 years old now).

How much does the individual 55k, 65k service costs? Has anyone tried.

I would appreciate your inputs and experiences that will help me make a decision to buy or not. GReatly appreciate in advance for your time in reading and responding to this post!!
Old 11-11-2017, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Konda Reddy Thotti Reddy
Hello folks,

I do have few questions about my 2014 Q5 Prem Plus warranty extension and audi care plus:

1. My car is at 49k and will hit 50k in a month, at which the factory warranty expires.The dealer gave the quote for the extended warranty: upto 85k - $3000, upto 100k- $3600
2. Audi care plus service maintainance from 55k-65k is $770, and 75k-85k is $770
Total cost after 50K for both if purchased is $5140

Is the money worth spending? This is the money that we dont get back when we sell. I am planning to keep the car for 2 years( its 3.5 years old now).

How much does the individual 55k, 65k service costs? Has anyone tried.

I would appreciate your inputs and experiences that will help me make a decision to buy or not. GReatly appreciate in advance for your time in reading and responding to this post!!
I would suggest you continue getting your Q5 serviced at Audi. Many situations have been documented in these forums of Audi doing courtesy repairs of out of warranty when the vehicle service record is at Audi. I would think AudiCare Select is still a value since the service intervals are no different than those during AudiCare. I will acknowledge that AudiCare Select does seem more expensive than AudiCare, probably because Audi and the dealers are pricing it with a vehicle sale.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
I would suggest you continue getting your Q5 serviced at Audi. Many situations have been documented in these forums of Audi doing courtesy repairs of out of warranty when the vehicle service record is at Audi. I would think AudiCare Select is still a value since the service intervals are no different than those during AudiCare. I will acknowledge that AudiCare Select does seem more expensive than AudiCare, probably because Audi and the dealers are pricing it with a vehicle sale.
Thank you for the response Dennis.
I do not understand what Audi Care select is, did you mean Audi care plus? If I purchase that in advance, the estimate is spending $385 per service at every 10k miles. Rather I would pay from my pocket if required.

Regarding extended warranty bumper to bumper, I am not extending it then based on your inputs and experiences heard in this forum.

Again, I appreciate your time.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

We purchased the Audi Care to 5yr 50k Miles at the time we purchased the car. The Audi Care Select after 35k miles is more expensive because it starts to do more extensive services at >50k Miles. I think if you look into your cars suggested maintenance items I think that will make more sense.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Konda Reddy Thotti Reddy
Thank you for the response Dennis.
I do not understand what Audi Care select is, did you mean Audi care plus? If I purchase that in advance, the estimate is spending $385 per service at every 10k miles. Rather I would pay from my pocket if required.

Regarding extended warranty bumper to bumper, I am not extending it then based on your inputs and experiences heard in this forum.

Again, I appreciate your time.
AudiCare Select replaced AudiCare Plus.

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 11-13-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Getting back to the original warranty questions that the OP brought up, search the forum for other threads about extended warranties. Some have thrown out the name of a guy named Troy located somewhere on the East Coast that sells the warranties for much less than local dealers as there is no requirement you purchase from any particular dealer. Might be worth a few minutes to track down his contact info and see what he can do price wise. If you do contact him, please let us know how he compares to the quotes you have now. Good luck!
Old 11-13-2017, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by EvergreenQ7
Getting back to the original warranty questions that the OP brought up, search the forum for other threads about extended warranties. Some have thrown out the name of a guy named Troy located somewhere on the East Coast that sells the warranties for much less than local dealers as there is no requirement you purchase from any particular dealer. Might be worth a few minutes to track down his contact info and see what he can do price wise. If you do contact him, please let us know how he compares to the quotes you have now. Good luck!
Troy Dietrich

http://www.fd-warranty.com

Grey
Old 11-28-2017, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I debated buying an extended warranty on my Q5 (2010 3.2, Premium +, S-Line). I ended up not getting an extended warranty. I currently have 208,000 miles on my 2010 Q5. I still love the car.

Things replaced (other than maintenance items like brakes, tires, oil, fluids, filters, spark plugs, etc) outside of warranty have been 3 electric door locks (about 250 each through independent German shop), Electric sunshade (1,800 through Audi dealer - couldn't find an independent locally to do it). Bushings in the control arms (might be a wear and tear item, not really a "broken item" - note was cheaper to replace full control arm with new bushings than just press out and press in new bushings - again independent shop around $500). But this is through 200,000 miles, nothing that would have been covered under warranty happened less than 100,000 miles.

My advise is to skip the extended warranty. I use a combination of independent shops and the dealer for services on my vehicle. I take very good care of it and keep up with services. These are well built cars, things happen, but overall, I am very happy.

I will go to the LA Auto Show this week and look to see what is new. Sure newer technologies, but the last few years I haven't seen anything that makes me go "wow" this is so much better than what I already have that was paid for years ago. Prior to the Audi, I changed cars about every 4-5 years around 120,000-150,000 miles. This has been a "keeper".